1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Objections to Liturgy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by thatbrian, Jan 3, 2018.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread "Liturgy" began in a section in which not all could participate, the questions regarding liturgy in a Baptist setting is being discussed.

If there are people from other denominations, as well as Baptists, who have an opinion on this, I would like to hear it.

Is a liturgy inherently evil, bad, wrong? Is it too "Catholic"? Is there any avoiding it?

Defining the term:

:A prescribed form or set of forms for public religious worship
    :A customary repertoire of ideas, phrases, or observances​

2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I love the liturgical way of worship. The way it is practiced today most closely resembles the way the Christians of the newly emerging Christian Church worshipped in the early centuries. St Justin Martyr around 150 AD described the way the early church worshipped in part: "Having ended the prayers, we salute one another with a kiss. There is then brought to the president of the brethren bread and a cup of wine mixed with water; and he taking them, gives praise and glory to the Father of the universe, through the name of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, and offers thanks at considerable length for our being counted worthy to receive these things at His hands".

He also said that we should help the needy, worship on Sunday, and have several different readings from the Scriptures. Is it too "Catholic"? Well, if you follow a different way of worshipping as many do today it most probably is, but I see no problem in continuing on with what has taken place uninterrupted for over 2000 years.