1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obscure American history

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Dec 18, 2020.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could not find what I thought is a good place/forum for this, so decided to put it here. It is not particularly Baptist history, but I am sure some Baptists were involved -- hopefully on the side of good. This is a bit of obscure history I had never heard of, until a friend called my attention to it. On August 1, 1946, a group of exasperated World War II veterans in Athens, Tennessee fought against entrenched local corruption and won.
    The Battle of Athens, Tennessee

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is scary that was allowed to go on for so long.

3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The insurrection had happened years earlier. It took them ten years to muster the means to finally put an end to it.

One reporter, a war correspondent, reported thus: “They realize [that] they have taken a serious step, but do not interpret their action as [having taken] the law into their own hands. Rather, they say [that] they just put the law back in the hands of the people.”​

• Like Like x 2
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might want to reread that article and ponder what they were saying then and now.
    ...The Tennessean praised what “has happened in the beautiful little city of Athens in McMinn County,” which “undoubtedly has awakened a thrill of pride throughout this machine-ridden state.
    Major Carl Anderson, one of the heroes of the Battle of Athens, distills our lesson in its purest form: “Before you go, I want to say that I hope that our country, especially those places that are as boss ridden as we were, will take hope from what we have accomplished here. I think we have shown how to clean out those dirty nests. Anyway, we’ve done it.” These Southern heroes, Dixie incarnate, took back their town. Let us now take back our nation.​

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I studied US History both during my Bible College days + my post graduate work + my times of teaching it to JH-HS students, I came across some interesting facts concerning the role Baptists played not only in our War for Independence, but also the period of time following it. Here's some few things I found regarding this. Granted that Baptists did NOT play that much of a leadership role during that time period, they DID play some interesting role(s): John Hart was a Baptist deacon from NJ. His name appears on our Declaration of Independence. Moreover, he practically lost most all of his holdings in NJ (They were confiscated by the British during their occupation of NJ.), he, being quite old, eventually paid the ultimate price for Independence when he fell fatally ill after being chased time and time again by the British. I went to his gravesite and read of his vocal opposition to the King....He probably took the lead in promoting what was nominally a "Loyalist" colony into one which suffered greatly during that time period. When our constitution was in its formative stages, in VA a Baptist pastor/evangelist stood to win VA's selection to the Constitutional convention....which even before it convened was torn from side-to-side about the role our national vs states' would play. Since VA had been a prime mover for Independence, that delegate's popularity with the other 12 delegations would most likely be a critical one. VA's selection came down to either this Baptist (Who wasn't very well known outside of VA.) or Thomas Jefferson. To save the convention from being hopelessly deadlocked, he stepped down to give Jefferson--a well-known figure to almost all the delegates--that position to Jefferson. Due to the opposition to having a "State" church not only in VA, but throughout our fledgling nation, it was Baptists who led the fight for requiring no "religious test" for our constitution as well as any federal office seekers--even if one's religion was in opposition to the Baptists. And here's another tidbit I found (& actually stood at) about VA's Patrick Henry. While Patrick Henry may not have been a Baptist, how many secular history texts tell you that his "Give me liberty, or give me death!" speech was made in a church's auditorium? If you go to Richmond VA, you can see that spot (and even stand on it!) at St John's Episcopal Church. How's that for the secular humanists who claim that Christianity played no role in America's independence. Moreover, the majority of British Baptists sided with their colonial brothers in opposition to the Brits occupying & fighting against American independence. In the 20th century. as best I can tell, there were only three Baptists who held the office of POTUS. How successful each may have been I guess is still up for grabs, OTOH to claim that Baptists had NOTHING to do with our nation, to me indicates a rather short-sighted view. Selah.