1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Of celebrities, the media, and Christians

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 5, 2007.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The tragic story of Britney Spears has me thinking. The same thought crossed my mind when I saw interviews with Michael Jackson and Princess Diana. I also thought about this when I watched a documentary on Marilyn Monroe.

We can expect the media to jump on these stories of famous people because it is going to make them money. If a celebrity ends up dead as a result it is even better because then they make even more money.

What should our attitude be? Britney Spears is at the forefront of my thoughts on this issue because of the current news about her losing her two children. Obviously she has "made her bed" as we say and her current life is a result of her own sin and her own choices, but it is clear that this is a hurting young woman. Yet it seems that Christians are as quick as the next person to lap up any news of her tragic life.

Just think of the media hype if she commits suicide as a result of all this.

I realise that we have no realistic chance of sharing the gospel with her, but doesn't it seem like the Christian thing to do would be to pray for her instead of joining the world in its voyeurism?

Should we not see her and others as the troubled people they are instead of condemning them as "wicked sinners who deserve all they were getting"?

Anybody want a stone?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not me...

I have a strong faith, but I'd hate to become a famous celebrity. I changes all of your relationships and its hard to have real friends or live a sane, normal life.

I really feel bad for those people, especially very young people, who have been seduced by fame, only to find out that fame doesn't make them happy... just completely miserable. And once you're famous, it's hard to remove yourself from the public eye.

No wonder so many of them turn to alcohol and drug abuse, and lose their minds.

Christians need to pray for their redemption, not feed the media frenzy or sit in self-righteous judgement over them.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No stone for Spears here.

No sympathy either. Her wounds are all self inflicted.

She has not "lost" her kids. She has only "lost" custody. Maybe this will serve as a wake up call. We can only guess how God will work this out for His glory.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I just have to wonder how this "no sympathy" plays out in our Christian walk. When are we justified to stop having sympathy on people?

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Is it just me, or is it just hard to pray for someone who doesn't seem too deeply affected by losing custody of her children? I can't decide if she's crazy, heavily under the influence, or just doesn't care. Would any of you really react in the same way she's doing, after having received news like this? Maybe this is a blessing instead. If so, I am rejoicing in God's interferrence on behalf of these children.

love,

Sopranette

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Is there a difference between sympathy and compassion?

Grace is important, yet in the cases of drugs and alcohol et al, sometimes the hard rock wall we hit is the one that causes us to change our ways instead of helping us continue in the path we are in.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

But sympathy does lead to compassion doesn't it? Aren't they tied together some how?

I've been pondering (actually agonizing with heart-wrenching intensity) a lot lately on the verses about the iniquities of the fathers and the next generations. Not to dwell too much on the journey God has been dragging me through, but we don't always realize the baggage/garbage we've got that causes us to not fully submit to Him.

OK, in her case it's not just a case of submission -- it's out and out rebellion, but the line is fine, isn't it? I've shared from time to time my own history with rebellion. I've been praying for her because BUT for God's grace in putting Ron in my life instead of some jerk, BUT for me heeding His call one night instead of resisting it, I could be her. Not famous, but a mess like her none-the-less.

#7 mcdirector, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

But shouldn't this make us more pressed to pray?

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

She was a close friend of a local gifted singer that is a strong Christian girl a few years ago, and saw Christ lived out in this families lives. She was presented the Gospel, and gently explained the continued tribulations she could expect. But I don't know if she accepted Christ or not, but she sure doesn't bear any fruit.

She was encouraging Christy, our local girl, who she had met in the recording studio/industry, to join her in recordings and appearances. But Christy's dad could see the danger and stopped it. Christy never made it, in spite of her wonderful gift. I admire Christy's dad's stand immensely.

Christy's dad and our son in law (a youth pastor) are friends, and brain stormed over this issue.

Here is an appropriate article:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54346

As far as the OP: These folks feed off adulation of the fans, and it is a destroyer. They are as trapped in sin as much or more than anyone, and all need the Lord.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By sympathizing with fallen stars like Spears, you become (willingly or not) one of her enablers.

That shouldn't stop one from praying that God will work His will in her life and that she will recognize her life needs to change. This may be all part of God's plan to turn her around.

My sympathies are for the children.

11. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I disagree and I'm not trying to one-up you spiritually. I think God's unmerited sympathy actually enables us to change.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sorry carpro, just can't see this. I just can't see Christ having an attitude like this for someone, saved or not.

In her quest to "find something" she has seemingly lost everything, Call it love, compassion, sympathy, whatever - it seems that folks like this deserve more from believers than judgement.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

When they're woes are self induced by their own bad choices, when they appear not to regert those choices as they do not attemp to change their lives, and want to continue to make those same bad choises over and over. She made this mess herself, no one forced it on her, it was her choice.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

So we just write her off?

No one is saying this is not her fault - that is not the point.

The woman caught in adultery made her own choices as well. The woman at the well made her own choices. Christ had compassion on them. Are we not called on to see people - should not the love of Christ compel us to see her in a different light?

15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I believe so. Psalm 126:6 tells us that if we go out weeping bearing precious seed, we will udoubtedly return rejoicing. We need to have a broken heart for the lost.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I honestly am not trying to be more spiritual. When I saw the last Britney fiasco my hert broke for this poor young woman trapped in her sin :(.

17. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

But all have sinned, and in the final analysis, all sin is self induced. When in the spotlight, they are magnified in our eyes. I know a family who's walk is every bit as bad or worse that Brittany's, and yet they are loved, counseled, and helped in many other ways. Brittany doesn't seem to have these resources available in her life. Only the flash of light bulbs, humanistic counseling, and that deadly adoration of fans. Another one is Lindsey Lohan, who I think is in even greater danger.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

What would happen if this young woman walked into one of our churches - dressed in her typical clothes?

19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think this is an important question that all of us should really contemplate.

I think our proper response should be compassion and grace. But for the grace of God go I.

Yet it seems many times it is much easier to kneel down and pick up a stone than it is to kneel down to pray, serve and love.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Anyone opposed to me moving this to the General Baptist Debate forum since we are on page 2 already?