1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Offering envelops

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than claiming a tax deduction -
    are there any valid reasons why you should use the envelope systems for your offerings?

Are there valid reasons why you should not use the envelope system?

and while we are at it - is it wrong to claim what you give as an offering as a tax deduction.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't use envelopes, but it seems to me they are mostly for the convenience of record-keeping.

I do not claim what I give as a tax deduction, but keep this as a matter of personal conviction and don't advise others one way or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just under 70% of our congregation give electronically... no envelopes.
    We also don't take an offering at our church.
    There's a box as you enter if you want to drop in a check or cash.
    Our church will never be wealthy but we get along.

It you (can) take a tax deduction for giving you have more to give or more to use for God's kingdom.
    Not taking the deduction provides extra for the current government system.

Rob

4. zaptear

zaptear Member

I give cash it's just between me and god what we give we have envelopes but I don't use them only if I'm giving for something other then my 10% LIKE World mission or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ultimately, I like offering envelopes as it is a tangible reminder that I need to carefully consider my gift on Sunday. When I don't have envelopes, I often find myself in the worship service on Sunday morning without cash in my wallet and no check book. When I have the box of envelopes on my table, it is a reminder to run by the ATM and get cash before Sunday morning (I hate writing checks).

Our church also does not allow people to serve on certain influential committees unless they are a regular contributor to the budget of the congregation. Apparently, this rule was enacted a number of years ago when a group of wealthier church members decided they didn't like the pastoral staff and claimed that they were going to withhold gifts to the congregation to force everyone to their side. Strangely enough, it didn't seem to directly affect our budget, and when they left en masse, it became clear that they were not giving much anyway.

So having an offering envelope helps out church track who is invested in our congregation. I think the giving threshold is actually quite low for that rule - like $10/month.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use a generic envelope so no one else can see what I give - it's nobody else's business to know what I give.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and this is the crux of this conversation.

So a member tells "the powers that be" - " I do properly support the ministry of this church - but its no one business how much I give -... but I do desire to sever on 'influential committees' and/or certain leadership positions"

Now what!

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. I'm not terribly happy about the situation myself, but this position has served our congregation well. There is one person - the financial secretary - who tracks giving and completes the IRS forms for deductions. If you are being considered for a ministry position, you will be asked if you would be willing to participate. If you consent, they will submit your name on a list to the financial secretary, and she will remove your name if you do not meet the minimum financial qualifications. People know if they give to the church, so they can decline and never have their name go to the financial secretary. And people decline for all sorts of reasons, so there is little, if any, stigma for declining.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to be sure that I get ALL the legal deductions I'm entitled, cuz I begrudge at least 75% of what I pay to DC & I'm gonna squeeze every possible deduction available.
    Perhaps after a year of (hopefully) common sense spending, I won't feel this way, but till then ---!!:Mad:Devilish

10. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We offer envelopes but don't require them. Few of those using envelopes reveal on the outside the amount enclosed, while those designating some for missions can so note, there or as a memo on a check. For those not taking envelopes we can track donations when made by check; loose offerings are between the donor and God. Addressing the last question, I see no scriptural reason not to take the deduction as long as civil law is followed. "Caesar" has decreed that such donations are not "Caesar's", so as #3 noted, taking the deduction leaves more for God's work. (And it all belongs to God anyway.)

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate....Or...Strongly dislike....maybe hate...Offering envelopes. I like writing a check and folding it. But I use the envelopes as requested.

12. zaptear

zaptear Member

Yeah I won't use them for looks I get when I get in if there's an issue with it as long as they can show it to me in scripture and biblically then I'll change how I do things if not oh well

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm interested in the passage of scripture that talks about passing an offering plate.

14. zaptear

zaptear Member

Been to a lot that don't thy have a lock box in the back u put it in as u go in for me I just feel what I give is between me and God not that I care how anyone els give or what thy do.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its the verse right after the one about a church having air conditioning and indoor plumbing.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good reason to use an envelope - but no need to indicate your name or amount .

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember the first time I went to a church that used a "collection box" (as they called them). They were at each door that led into / out of the auditorium. Having never seen the offering done that way before, I thought it was quite a strange way of doing things, but in time, I did grow used to it. This was when I was going through my "Charismatic phase," and noticed that a few of the those churches I attended did their offering that way.

As for the church I attend nowadays, there are offering envelopes in the pouches on the seat backs of our chairs, if we want to use them (which I do). I don't put my name on the envelope however. I just insert my (cash) offering and seal it up. I'm not interested in any kind of tax deduction, so my name / amount given doesn't need to be recorded for tax documentation purposes.

:)

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets supposed, your current church - insisted on knowing how much you gave- ( to insure it is the minimum of 10%) in order to serve in a leadership position in the church?

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the past I simply put money in the offering plate. Then I started writing checks (partly out of convience, partly because it makes me consider more my giving, and partly for a record).

The reason I liked giving cash, though, was because I considered my giving something between me and God. But why did I think that? Why do we think that? Our faithfulness and Christian walk is, generally, considered a matter of the church as members are accountable to each other. We are held responsible for how we use our time and how we live our lives. I am not disagreeing with anyone here, but I have to wonder - Why is this different when it comes to faithful stewardship of our money?

20. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church doesn't follow the 10% "rule." The leadership encourages everyone to give whatever God puts on our hearts to give. If it's 10% or more, that's fine. If it's only 2%, that's fine as well.

And as far as I know, leadership positions are not dependent on how much money one gives to the church.

#20 HeDied4U, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017