1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Officer kills 17 year old:'How in the world could this happen?' Guilford family speaks out

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Another person killed by a police officer over what started with a traffic violation. I just watched the video from the officer's camera and the young man's camera.

He tasered the young man. And then shot him SEVEN times. And for WHAT? And just like clockwork, the prosecutor says it was a justified killing.:(

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Argued with officer...check.
    Didn't follow directions...check.
    Didn't stay on the ground as requested....check.
    Physically assaulted officer...check.
    Shot and killed....check.

Sounds good like the right outcome for the situation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks a child deserved to be shot seven times has some issues.

4. matt wade

Child? You mean a 17 year old that physically attacked a police officer? To the point the officer thought he may lose consciousness and then lose control of his weapon?

There's probably lots of 17 year old "children" in that part of Atlanta that you won't go to. Many of those 17 year old "children" are probably part of the reason you won't go to that part of the city.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks a child deserved to be shot seven times has some issues.

6. matt wade

Would you prefer the officer lost consciousness and control of his weapon?

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times did he deserve to be shot?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Person attacks cop. Cop shoots person. I don't understand the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is yet another example of excessive force being used. Like the story about the kid that got shot because he was threatening a cop with a skateboard and the story about the guy with a brick that got shot by his pastor, there is no reason to shoot a 17 year old kid because he is running away after being tasered.

This is insanity. Ann and Matt, you are telling me a trained police officer cannot subdue a 17 year old kid that lying face down on the ground? For heavens sake drop a knee into his back and hand cuff him. This is sickening.

10. matt wade

Did you miss the part where the officer was physically assaulted, was bleeding from his head, the doctors said he sustained considerable head trauma, and the officer believed he may be about to go unconscious?

Officers are trained (and rightfully so) that if they are about to be incapacitated, that they immediately shoot to kill.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I missed that. Where was that in the raw video? All I saw was the kid get up and run away, the cop in pursuit. Then, about 8 seconds later I hear the cop's gun going off.

So ignore my point about handcuffing the kid. The cop asked him three times to have the kid put his hands behind his back. The kid has demonstrated umpteen times he's going to be uncooperative, the cop should know he's not going to put his hands behind his back. Rather than dropping a knee into the kid's back and pulling his hands behind him and cuff them, the cop stands there and tases the kid. What's up with that? I guess it's a lot easier to shoot someone with a taser than it is to get your hands dirty handcuffing someone.

12. matt wade

Read the accounts of the traffic stop.

It's safer for the cop to tase an uncooperative person than to physically constrain them. You don't know what drugs they could be on that could have them exert force beyond what you expect of them. I have no problem with cops taking the safe route of tasing someone.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and who authored the account of the traffic stop? Oh, yeah, that would be the police, and that would be after the cop shot an unarmed teenage boy running away after the cop lost control of the situation.

I'm asking for the police to exercise a little common sense judgment before shooting someone. Pretty clear to me this kid wasn't hepped up on drugs. If they are hyped up on drugs, what good is a taser going to do? No 17 year old, weighing about 160 lbs. and flat out on the pavement is going to get up from underneath the knee of a 180 lb. cop. This kid is dead now.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yep. If it meant that the young man would still be alive...100%, absolutely YES!!!

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

None.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Thank you. The whole thing is absolutely disgusting. This started about some bright headlights. The kid didn't say or do ANYTHING that warranted him being shot ONCE, let alone, seven times.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh , the life of a cop. They never know when they will run across an idiot that turns violent.

All the proper warnings were given. Policy seems to have been followed to the letter.

Looks like a good shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yep. And for what? SMH.

19. matt wade

So you value the life of the 17 year old over the life of the cop?

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It was a stupid shooting that didn't have to take place. I don't care if the kid tussled with him and started to run away. That child...adopted at four and finally given a family...did NOTHING that warranted his life being taken.