1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oh and Christian, Be Sure and Vote for Mitt

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Jan 9, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

First of all, believe it or not, I was not here to anaylze the election of 1800. If you examine the documents about Jefferson and his statements on spiritual matters, there is no evidence he was not a Christian. I do not know, as I said before, who in the White House has been saved and not. That is between the Lord and 44 men. Romney is the member of a cult that is radically anti-Christian. Not a faith but a cult. Now, as far as Kennedy, he cut taxes through Congress and it stimulated the economy. He also was for a strong national defense. Had I been a few years older, however, I probably would have voted for Nixon, like I did in Nixons later runs, which actually turned out to be a disaster. As I said in previous posts, I have voted for the Republican nominee I am going to guess longer than you have been alive. You need to reread history of the Kennedy years, the election of 1960, and documents related to Jefferson. You might want to read the Constitution also. I left the Republican party after lots of thought and for good reason.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There seems to be a pattern in this thread of questioning the salvation or guessing the salvation about former Presidents to justify a vote for a known cult member. This is the first time in history and our lifetime for sure that a cult member is asking for our vote, we the people. Since Reagan, we have sat by and given a pass to a string of increasingly pathetic nominees, starting with Bush the First and ending with McCain. I voted for everyone of them, to my shame. This is where I draw the line. The bar has gotten so low we do not even realize what we are doing. When you start trying to go lower from liberal Republican to a cult member, that is where I draw the line. I am not going to vote for Obama, but neither am I going to help a radical anti Christian become leader of the country I live in.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Amen and thanks. The message does seem to get through. It is beyond my imagination a born again follower of Jesus Christ voting for a member of a cult to be President of the Untied States. I am so sick of voting for Bushes, McCains, Doles, etc to keep out liberal Democrats I could puke. Finally, last year, after forty five years as a Republican, I switched parties and joined the Constitution Party.

You know what really gets me about posters here are two points for the most part. One is most have spent almost four years saying Obama is a Muslim this, or Obama is not a Christian that, and they are going to turn right around, and cast their vote for a cult member. And two, is the endless idea that a vote for a third party helps the Democrat win. What a bunch of baloney. I will tell you what helps Democrats win, it is the posters in this forum who for thirty years have been giving a pass to liberal Republican nominees, and have lowered their bar so low, they are ready to cast their lots with a cult member. That is what elects people like Obama and Clinton. Why was Clinton elected, because Bush the First did not do his job. Why was Obama elected? Because Bush the Second did not do his job.

4. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Are you serious? You would actually think Jefferson could have been a Christian? He virtually denied all the miracles of the New Testament, any type of miracle, and while he was inconsistent as a deist, he was much closer to deism than to Christianity. I have read much on Jefferson and I have read the Constitution (I don't know where that came from, Jefferson wasn't even in the country for the writing of the Constitution). Rather, you should read Jefferson. Come on over to my state of Virginia and I would love to take you to Charlottesville and we can explore first had Jefferson's views of life and religion. He may not have been a consistent Deist, but he was overtaken by the enlightenment. If you read about his election, the major problem people had with Jefferson was that he was a part of a cultic deistic view, he was not a Christian. This election may be the most fascinating in history where the young country battled with a person they knew was not a Christian. I recommend that you read up on that election.

Secondly, Kennedy was for cutting taxes, but his stimulus was based upon Keynesian ideas. The fallacy of today's conservatives is that because someone advocates for tax cuts means they are conservative economically. Kennedy is the prime example of how this is not true. In fact, I can take you to several Keynesian economists who voted and support Obama, but they believe he was wrong by not cutting taxes. Their view is that cutting taxes is a part of the circular flow espoused by Keynes. I would place Newt Gingrich into this category as well.

Bringing up that you are older than me is irrelevant. First, I am probably older than you think since you could not have voted for Nixon in '72. Secondly, what does that have to do with the topic? The issue is two-fold, mainly dealing with Romney's Mormonism and also economics. I think I have expertise in both areas.

To claim that anyone can deny essential tenets of the Christian faith and still be a Christian is a fallacy and contradicts the Bible. Can you deny the Bible is God's Word? Traditionally, no! Can you deny that Christ is the only way of salvation? Traditionally, no! Can you rely upon mysticism, psychics, and embrace the occult? No! Can your view of the Gospel be merely social liberation instead of the true gospel? No! Each of our last few Presidents have embraced these heretical stands which causes me to question whether they are a Christian or not. Kennedy, for instance, was not a Christian. Catholicism is not Christian centered on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Romney is not a Christian. However, I would vote for Romney against Obama, a man who claims to be a Christian just like I would have voted for Jefferson.

Mormonism is a cult, but it is a theological cult not a social cult. I also reject that Catholicism is truly Christian. They are opposed to us, and their theology is detrimental to the true Gospel. However, I would vote for a Catholic as President like Santorum.

I am not a fan of Romney (I endorse Ron Paul), but I would vote for him, Santorum, or others over a man who confesses to be a Christian, Obama. Why? I am not voting for a Theologian and Chief, but a Commander and Chief.

5. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Interesting article on Mormonism and voters linked above. Romney's deplorable record in Massachusetts on abortion issues, his hypocritical statement of "I've always been pro-life" and the fact that he refuses to sign the Pro-Life/ Personhood Pledge was enough for me to know that as a Christian, I could never vote for him. I never even made it as far as his religious beliefs. However I did go to the Republican website to check on exactly what their platform says on life/abortion. I can't find a thing. I don't know if I'm not navigating the site correctly, but I did do a search on abortion and nothing came up. Does anyone know anything about that? So I guess if everything is as it seems at the moment, Romney can't even be accused of having been/being too far off his party's platform. Very convenient. If he becomes the nominee, my affiliation is finished.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Have you lost your mind? I was born October 5, 1952, and was twenty years old in November 1972, two years beyond voting age. It sounds like your math grade must have matched your history grade. For every document you can produce on Jefferson (start another thread for this) to say he is not Christian, I will produce on that gives evidence he is. Also, your facts about Kennedy are totally wrong.

From your posts, I doubt you have expertise in either area. As far as coming to your state of Virginia, I go there quite often since my 85 year old Dad lives in Waynesboro. As far as living there, I will stay where I am thank you. As I recall, your state cast its electoral votes for Obama. It seems to me lots of your posts are spent defending liberal, government expanding politicians like Romney, Bush, Gingrich, etc. Also, while defending them, you spent a few posts letting us all know how bad Reagan was. That tells me tons about your perspective.

If you cannot see how Romney is seperated from the rest by the fact he is a member of a cult, and also his record in Massachusettes, then find a new hobby, like cross stitching. Read Pamelas posts. If you are going to pose as a historical expert, read before you type. Another question comes to mind, why do you spend time trying to degrade American Presidents like Kennedy, Jefferson, and Reagan, who might have been Chrisitan, and certainly contributed lots to this nation, and turn right around, and make a case for a cult member abortionist, self serving politician with no moral bearing?

#66 saturneptune, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

My facts on Kennedy are false? What falsehood have I advanced? He was for cutting taxes as a part of his Keynesian model of economics. How is that a falsehood? Rather, that is fact and rooted in his entire philosophy of economics. Please, I am perfectly willing to engage on the economic philosophy of Kennedy. As noted, because he was for cutting taxes he was not conservative. The fallacy in our modern economic system is that because you are for cutting taxes means you are a conservative. W., for instance, cut taxes but was very liberal economically. Clinton was more conservative than W.

As for my expertise, I have an MBA and I am getting a Ph.D. in business. I am also a college professor of business. In other words, I teach this stuff for a living and am recognized as competent and a respected authority. You can attack me, but I suspect on economics/finance/business, my expertise far exceeds your own.

Secondly, I also have an MDiv and an MA in Religion and my hope is to get my Doctorate in Historic Theology after my Ph.D. in business. I am ordained

Where are your economic/business credentials? Where are your religion authority.

Sorry I got your age wrong, but you implied that if you could have voted for Nixon, you would have.

Finally, a Catholic is not considered a Christian. They deny essentials of the Christian faith, the whole reason for the Reformation. The views I express about theology, they are traditionally shown to be anti-Christian. I do not doubt Mormonism is a religious cult, not a social cult. However, calling it a cult does not make it anti-cultish

As for Jefferson, I would encourage you to read much of Dr. Mark Noll. Dr. Noll is considered one of the premiere Christian Historians in the world. I think he can help you see that Jefferson, while not a consistent deist, was not a Christian. I am not going to argue with you on this issue because, to be frank, you would rather attack me and my credentials than truly engage in the discussion. As well, you have stated you wanted to show "quotes" against my quotes, which is not a rational means for debate. I am not a historian, but Noll and others are. I will merely cite them and let you argue with Noll.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ordained at what? I would encourage you to read papers from Jefferson and use your own advanced MBA mind to come to your own conclusions, instead of Mr. Noll. You seem to thrive on the opinion of others. I am not going to debate you on education level, but I have more education than you, and will leave it at that. A BA degree usually means I have no idea what I want to do in life. If you are ordained, why are you not in the ministry?

The fact that you cannot see a difference between how the Catholics treat Jesus Christ and how the Mormons treat Jesus Christ tells me you do not have a clue about theology. There is a big difference between believing Jesus is a created being and that Jesus is God. There is also a big difference between believing the Bible is the Word of God the the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Just what are you smoking?

Start a thread on Jefferson, and I will be glad to engage in a discussion on the merits of the man.

#68 saturneptune, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  9. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I have read much of Jefferson as the Revolutionary times are a favorite of mine. Patrick Henry is one of my heroes, and so the oppositions between Jefferson and Henry have been of interest to me.

As for the Catholic Theology, I was a Catholic and in the thread on Catholicism I outline my disagreements with the Catholic doctrine. You seem to think the Pope is less of a threat to true Christianity than Mormonism, I would like to remind you of the Reformation and the Reformers. They believed the Pope to be the Anti-Christ... now I wouldn't go as far as they did, but you clearly are picky on what you choose as acceptable and not acceptable. I would ask what is your basis for your inconsistency.

The point I am making is that I do not vote for someone based upon their religion. I, for instance, do not believe Lincoln was a Christian when he took office. Reading Lincoln's works, I believe he may have become a Christian while in office and he made the most theologically astute arguments for ending slavery of any president on any issue. However, he was not a Christian. Would that have prevented me from voting for him? No!

As for Jefferson, I am not going to debate you on this issue. He was clearly engaged more in Hume and Locke than in theology and while he spoke some of the language of Christianity, his ideas were antithetical to Christianity. I have sent you to resources from established scholars, but you seem to disdain anything or anyone who disagrees with you.

Now, instead of attacking the issues, you still want to go after me and even question why I am no longer in the ministry. Yes, I am ordained and was once in ministry. Several years ago I was granted a sabbatical to study under a theologian/scholar and gladly accepted. While there, I was told I didn't have long to live; my heart was in terrible shape and I could die. Yes, that was a horrible time in my life. Fortunately, the doctors were wrong but that was after many tests resulted in discovering that I have a very minor birth defect that is extremely rare. Going back into the ministry was mostly not an option considering my health issue. Thus, I stepped out into the business world and try to free up most of my time to continue work in the ministry, my true love.

Truthfully, I loved the ministry but did not enjoy the stress of the ministry. Had I remained in the ministry, I would have obtained my Ph.D. in Historic Theology, my true passion. However, in God's providence He moved me out of the ministry where I believe I have a more broad ministry to people than ever when in the ministry. There is a possibility where I will go back into the ministry in a couple of years, but it probably will never be full time until I retire.

10. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Ok, I finally found the following link. The Republican Party supports a Human Life Amendment to the Constitution, and yet Romney, with his history, and his refusal to sign a pro-life/personhood pledge, is their supposed "frontrunner". He shouldn't even be allowed to run as a Republican! I think every Christian who is a registered Republican should write the committee. I will be drafting my letter as soon as I can.

http://whitehouse2012.wordpress.com/republican-party-platform/

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Pamela, thank you for the links