1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oh Brother Let's Go Down ... Oh Sister Let's Go Down

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This past Sunday we had a beautiful worship service and then a baptism, not down by the riverside, but down by and in the Chesapeake Bay. What a wonderful symbol baptism is of death to the old life and resurrection to the new life in Christ. What a wonderful place for a Baptism to take place. The Bay is a bit larger, quite a bit larger than the Jordan River and as the Bay is tidal ... can we say the "sins went with the outgoing tide?

Does your church every have a baptism 'down by the riverside'? In a swimming pool? Anywhere outside?

Replace 'valley' in the following lyrics with 'river'. This is the way we sing this hymn.

#1 Crabtownboy, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We used to use Lake Erie...but now we do it in a portable fountain / pool indoors.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We do a yearly baptism in the Atlantic Ocean off of Long Island. We also baptize the handicapped at the VA Hospital but that's not outside, although we've also baptized them in a swimming pool. :thumbs:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Our pastor will baptize you in the baptistery or in the creek, lake, whatever you choose.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My grandfather baptized in ponds in Oklahoma. I use nice, heated bapistries in the places I've been. I think we've lost something through our technology. :)

btw, that song is amazing. We have used it for baptism, though it is usually the O Brother Where Art Thou.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forgot to mention after the baptism we had a celetration picnic.

To me there is something very special about having a baptism service outside in a natural setting.

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

This past Sunday we had a baptism at a nearby lake.

8. Graybeard

Graybeard New Member

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, didn't George Clooney make a movie by that name?

HankD

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Alas, we recently moved to a new space (we're a young church plant), and don't own our own building yet. In our old location, we could do baptisms as part of the service. We recently did baptisms at the beach (a beautiful thing here in sunny southern california), but not everyone from the congregation can make the trek, so it's not the same as being able to do it on Sundays during worship.

Hopefully, when we finally get around to building our own facilities, we'll be able to secure baptistry space.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

"Down in the Valley to pray" is an awesome...and very old...song.

Its one of my favorites to pick and sing.