1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Baptist Books??

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Baptist born Baptist bred, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Baptist born Baptist bred

Has anyone ever heard of Horne's "Introduction;" Ripley's "Sacred Rhetoric;" or Dick's "Theology?" I am working on some research on J.M. Pendleton who taught from these books. This is all the information he gave concerning them, and I am trying to track them down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    RIPLEY & SACRED RHETORIC

HORNE & INTRODUCTION

Thomas Dick was a Scottish theologian whose work was used by James P. Boyce, first president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

I would suggest you attempt to obtain them from a seminary through inter-library loan, although they may be scarce because of their age. Some are still available in reprints.

3. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

The link rsr provides on Horne provides the full title, publication information, and date of the work, so no need to reproduce here.

Sacred rhetoric, or, Composition and delivery of sermons / by Henry J. Ripley ; To which are added hints on extemporaneous preaching, by Henry Ware, Jr.
    Published Boston : Gould, Kendall and Lincoln, 1849.

The link below is to Dick's writings here in Missouri at the university libraries.
    Thomas Dick

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Baptist born Baptist bred

Thanks for the information. This is very helpful.