1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Friend of Kerry Staging a Comeback

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by carpro, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061106/D8L7I45O1.html

Daniel Ortega Leading Nicaragua Election

Nov 6, 6:52 AM (ET)

By TRACI CARL

MANAGUA, Nicaragua (AP) - Leftist Sandinista leader Daniel Ortega appeared headed for victory Monday in his longtime quest to regain power, 16 years after a U.S.-backed rebellion helped drive the former Marxist revolutionary from office.

Early results from Sunday's presidential election gave Ortega with a strong lead over his four rivals. His victory, if confirmed by final results, would expand the club of leftist Latin rulers led by Venezuela's Hugo Chavez, who has tried to help his ally by shipping cheap oil to the energy-starved nation.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

How were the Reagan supported, drug money financed anti-Sandinistas, aka Contras, not terrorists?

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since when do junior Senators have the authority to negotiate treaties with foreign dictators?

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Why don't you answer first, for once?

5. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Carpo you sure you want to go this route it is an indictment of failed bush in ....

Carpo you sure you want to go this route it is an indictment of failed bush culture in South America and Central America and how our treasury has been sucked dry from Iraq in other words total focus on Iraq has left the whole foreign policy of the United States in tatters...this is the legacy of the bush culture of cronyism and short term gain.

We could have matched opposition by being the good America but now we are perceived as the ugly Americans in South America.

The bush culture has hurt this nation...all of a sudden Ortega is a crisis ..well guess what bush had 6 years to out smart that and did not,
    terrible incompetence on his part.

Solution to Ortega and Chavez ...actually start talking to them...apparently they are both Catholic and hopefully have
    Christian attributes that would cause them to be honest brokers in areas.

to just stand back and throw stones is not working...unless you want to start wars and just wipe them out ..which I think some people on this board would like.

Once the bush culture dies and its insane ideology of "my way or the the highway" then our foreign policy can make inroads again.

Carpo you know that I have defined you via Clinton and what he has defined an Ideologue to be...let me add and give an original thought....I think idealogues have trouble forgiving. So they got to hold on to mean spirited posistions of black and white and hitch their wagon to like minded cynics...they offer no solutions other than what is parroted from noise machines that demagouge an issue without any real give or take or recognizing the other party .

I think you know Kerry was speaking pure truth when he said and paraphase ..men should not die for a mistake...I actually believe Kerry was trying to save lives and not see them wasted...that is very moral.

but the demonizing by idealouges just totally takes it out of context and they hang on to a nano mistake here and a nano mistake their and create a whole noise that blackens truth...pure truth and that being a brave person spoke truth to power to try and save lives.

So demonize Ortega and Chavez for short term without looking at the last 6 years or the bush culture having any real policy or plan in Central or South America other than the escalation of civil strife of using surrogates to bring civil strife.

If the bush culture continues in this country we will be in decline if it is exposed and we turn it around we can show the world again we are good.

Ortega is catholic...Chavez is catholic ..I would go this route and work that angle to bring them into the fold of American interests in the short term and inprove for the long term for future leaders instead of heading down the road to confrontation or even blustering at them for political short term gain...we must be bigger than that and actually think for the common good of the good people of South and Central American who live in dire poverty.

#5 ASLANSPAL, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

What makes me angriest is that the US is trying to interfere with this election by threatening sanctions.

If, say, England threatened to cut ties to the US if we elected a Democrat to the Presidency, the planet could not contain our indignation.

Hypocrisy knows no real bounds, it seems.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ortega has a history.

It would be good to remember what it is.

I'm sure Kerry will go to bat for him. He never saw a communist he didn't like.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

OK, so if we don't like who's running in the free elections of a sovereign country, we're allowed to threaten the country and influence the outcome?

Please.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course.

Just as many foreign countries tried to influence our last Presidential election and are trying to do so now.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many people say they were.

Just as many say the Sandinistas were as well.

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Of course.

"Other people are doing it" is a perfect justification for anything.

:BangHead:

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're over- reacting.:rolleyes:

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

But, if I remember correctly, the Sandinistas were the democratically elected government and the Contras were violently overthrowing it.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda sorta, but not quite hardly.

Ortega seized power in 1979 as part of a military junta. The junta ruled as dictators until 1984 when they held an "election", if you want to call it that. All opposition parties and candidates and had restrictions on them and refused to participate, leaving Ortega as the only viable candidate.

More or less a typical communist style election. It could hardly be called democratic.:rolleyes:

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He was president for all of five years until he lost the next election to Chamorro - he relinquished power without a struggle. For the most part, he was a heck of a lot better than his predecessor, Samoza.

16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Odd... Kerry was shooting them, and defeating them in combat, when Dubya was hiding from his commander with just the tiniest chance that he might get sent to fight.

I guess, if you're a Bush enabler, shooting communists means one likes them. :laugh:

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yep. He lost the election and turned over power to his successor - not at all like the typical communist style election and not like the military dictatorship election, either. It was - gasp - just like a democratic election!

What senator was negotiating which treaty with what dictator? Since when do elephants fly?

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You'll say that right up to the point they come for you.

Baaaa.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senators Kerry and Harkin with Ortega.

Why are you playing dumb?

BTW Senators Kerry and Harkin were breaking the law by doing so and were publicly rebuked on the Senate floor.

Another BTW:

Ortega sold them out immediately.:smilewinkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.