1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old People's Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I am middle aged white folk and realize that I am growing older every day so how am I being racist against my own race when I am meerly stating my observations of spesific churches in which I have described?
    FYI they do exist no matter how much you want to believe they don't.

2. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

only Pharacees think like this.

Jesus came to save the lost not the self righteous,
    He said so Himself.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, are you including yourself in the racist group, or just all of the other "Old white folks"? We are mostly "old white people", but our doors are open to all, and we do have som black in our churches, not in mine particular but they are welcome. I preach with black preachers often.
    It puzzles me why would you call them racist, they can't even defend themselves and don't even know, someone is calling them racists?

#43 Brother Bob, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  4. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

AA, I am not saying we do not preach the Gospel to every creature. I am saying church is designed for believers. Grk. word for church, literally means 'called out'. The church is a 'called out' assembly of believers. It should be geared toward training up those believers and glorifying God by teaching His Word to His people.

Do you disagree with this statement?

5. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

Brother Bob
    why are you trying to turn this into an issue?

I am not a Racist
    if you think these churches do not exist then you are very nieve and willfully ignorant of them.
    I think I have said all I am going to say about this matter.

God Bless you all.

6. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

God Has called all to repentance
    the church should be a soul winning station.
    not for a weekly social gathering for the brethren
    the main purpose of the church is to win lost souls to Christ.
    the purpose for Sunday School is Discipleship.
    that is all.

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

This is the first time I've actually heard someone say that the main purpose of the church is to 'win souls.' What verse is that?

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Okay, I apologize for saying you "forced" people out of your church. So let me rephrase the question. How many of your folks stay in the parking lot till the music is over because they can't stand it?

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

.......................you are very nieve and willfully ignorant

and then God bless you all...........:)

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Zero.

If you would have carefully read my answer, you would have seen that it was not a church service, but a benefit concert for Children's hospital.

On a given Sunday during worship, there is no one in the foyer or parking lot.

You tell me.

Our church has grown since 2000 by 600 percent in the 12-20 age group.

Our church has grown 425 percent in the 50 and over group since 2000.

Sounds like to me we've figured out how to love one another and get along.

Perhaps I should sic them on the BB.......nah, no sense in discouraging them.

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hay, who am I to argue with those kind of numbers? Yeh, you better keep your people off BB, they might get discouraged and become a negative statistic.

12. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Big numbers don't mean a thing look how many people where saved on the ark 8 souls saved.:thumbs: I thought I would point that one out.

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree that church services should not be social gatherings.

I partly agree with what you say about the purpose of the church, but I would say that one of the main purposes of the church is to make the gospel known to unbelievers - the church cannot "win" them for Christ; it is Christ Himself who does that. But that does not mean that when we gather to worship God in a service, the main aim should be getting unbelievers in. Don't misunderstand me; I say encourage them to come in, and praise God if they do. But the main purpose of the church service is to worship God.

I think what you say about "Sunday School" may be another example of the difference between the English used in the United States, and the English used here in the UK. Here, a Sunday School is usually for children, some of whom may be Christians themselves, some children of Christian parents, and some neither of those things. So Sunday School here is seen very much as an outreach work, rather than a discipleship class. (I should add that a few churches here do have what they call an "all-age Sunday School", where newly-converted Christians are build up, and unbelievers taught as well).

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Excellent point. Do you feel qualified to say who is and isn't saved, then?
    I thought I would point that out.

15. charles_creech78

No but God does and he is the one who saved them 8 souls. Out of all the world only 8 souls. Mt 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to DESTRUCTION, and MANY there be which go in thereat. 14 Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that FIND IT. I thought I just point that out.:thumbs: Don't put other churches down and this board down because you thank you figured out how to get people in to your synagogue.

#55 charles_creech78, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  16. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

"Many do not realize that Protestant/Baptist worship is its own culture, distinct from the pop culture and the evangelical culture of Christianity in our country today. The church must develop and maintain its own cultural language that reflects the values and structures of the Scriptures and not of the current culture. This church language can only be shaped by a biblical theology which affirms the real presence of Jesus Christ in worship and our belief that this presence binds the culture together as a community. The context that shapes our distinct Protestant/Baptist ethos is Scripture, theology, and history. Local circumstance is secondary."

Anonymous

A statement I found some time ago and saved it in text format for just this occasion.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Friend, let me help you out (which way did you come in?):

Why don't you explore all my posts and point out one solitary time I've belittled anyone's church because they're small. Find one and I'll profusely apologize.

I haven't figured out anything. God's blessing us numerically. God blesses many churches in many ways...one day He may allow us to not grow in number, but I pray the Holy Spirit still moves. I'm thankful that God is moving powerfully in large and small churches alike. It is correct to say that numerical increase doesn't mean God's blessing...but it is wrong to say that just because a church is growing, that God is not in it.

Sorry you have such a chip on your shoulder. Try and stay away from putting words in my mouth, if you don't mind.

BTW: We're in a "church." We're not Jewish. I'm not on the Jewish Board.

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I almost said (typed) something last night, but this is the week before school and as web administrator, I'm up to my proverbial eyeballs.

We should be celebrating with each other. We should be shouting AMEN that people are going to church, excited about church, and hearing the gospel, because that means that someone will come to know Jesus.

When someone else is excited about what's happening at his/her church, it may be that they are excited about the work that God is doing and that they aren't just braggin' and boastin'. They just want to share!

I'm thrilled to see God at work in a church that's got new people coming to it. I'm thrilled to see God working in a church that looks on the outside like it's maintaining. Sometimes we hear magnificent stories about churches that look like they might just be crumbling from within, but God raises them from what looked like death to us.

We as Baptist know there has to be at least three Baptist churches in even the smallest of towns because of the way we are. But let's celebrate when we see God working, even if it is in one of those other churches!

19. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Amen!!!:thumbs: :godisgood:

20. charles_creech78

Ya these are not my words. :thumbs:

#60 charles_creech78, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007