1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Regular Baptist (revised)

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Little Freedom Church

The Little Freedom Regular Baptist church of the Old School Regulars, in Vansant, Va will be holding its annual fellowship meeting March 29th @ 6p.m March 30th and31st @ 10 a.m all Old School or Primitive Baptist and any other interested parties are welcomed to attend, the church is on Deskins Road Rt 620 in Vansant,Va

2. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Travail

The term from nature to grace or law to grace seems to gender confusion among some dear brothers not used to the term, but even those that use it may be saying two different things, one side of Old Regular in the present minorty believe as I that regeneration, or being born again, quickened ,happens when the dead hear the voice of the Son of God, at that very moment . There are things that accompany salvation, among them faith and repentence( this is where we get the travail, Godly Sorrow etc) some brethern do refer to this also as a birth or deliverance when the mourner receives comfort, peace the lifting of the burden, thus the term there must be a begotting before a birth, what they are trying to say, one has to be a child of God or Born Again ,Regenerated, before faith and repentence brings experimental deliverance. The other side of Old Regulars today place regeneration at the end of faith and repentence, confusing regeneration and conversion, I think that to stir away from confusion , It would be better for the Grace side to say we believe in a travail in Grace and thus take the time to teach that until a man or woman has been Born Again by the Spirit of God they have no faith ,as faith is a fruit of the Spirit. I hope this helps with some of these local terms that evolve into church language to define a position, other terms we use that cause some confusion among others, are Time Salvation, Federal Headship, absolute predestination,Actual Eternal Vital Union, gospel regeneration or gospel quickening, Common Salvation, Particular, Special, Limited Atonement etc ... etc..... These terms have come about to define positions both in the negative and positive an example would be , ''We reject Gospel Regeneration, but believe in Particular Atonement" most of us know what is meant but many others do not, and while proof and disproof of the doctrines is found in the Bible some of these terms are not, one that most people use is the Trinity. I hope this helps more than it hurts, Brother Mike Slone

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mike....the state of New Jersey is in desperate need of truly biblical churches....especially in the Northern areas. Build it & they will come is all I can suggest. your move.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

To get a quick start, the first friday, saturday, and sunday in Spetember, is the Indian Bottom Association of ORB's annual meeting, held at the association building in Sassafras, Knott County, Ky. All are welcome to attend and worship with us.

5. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Wow, plenty of wonderful bits of history on this thread, thanks folks.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Brother this is the way I understand certain events in Salvation. I write as a member of a Southern Baptist Church from a large family of Old Regular Baptists.

REGENERATION

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.{2 Corinthians 5:17}

The initial event in salvation is regeneration, the theological term synonymous with ‘rebirth’ or ‘being born again’. Regeneration is solely the work of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, whereby those who are spiritually dead in trespass and sin are made spiritual alive and are brought into union with Jesus Christ. Whereas the unregenerate person has no disposition, interest, or desire for the things of God the regenerate person is a new creation and is now receptive to the ‘effectual call’ of the Holy Spirit.

Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, came to Jesus Christ by night to question Him.

John 3:3, KJV
    3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Various forms of expression are employed in the Scriptures, to denote the change that occurs at the new birth or regeneration:

It is taking away the heart of stone, and giving a heart of flesh, a new heart.

Ezekiel 36:26, KJV
    26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

It is putting the law in the heart.

Hebrews 8:10, KJV
    10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

It is quickening or making alive.

John 6:63, KJV
    63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

John 5:21, KJV
    21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth [them]; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

It is a resurrection from the spiritual death.

John 5:25, KJV
    25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

EFFECTUAL CALLING

Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; {Isaiah 55:3}

Insofar as man himself is aware, the initial event in salvation is the effectual calling of the Holy Spirit. I will not probe the doctrine of ‘effectual calling’ very deeply other than to point to Scripture to demonstrate the difference between hearing the Gospel and the ‘effectual call’. It is an observable fact that not all who hear the Gospel accept it and come to salvation. Some do and some do not. The Apostle Paul tells us why

1 Corinthians 2:14, KJV
    14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

Jesus Christ vividly demonstrate this difference between the effect of the gospel call on the unregenerate man and the regenerate man in the parable of the sower. {Matthew 13:3-9, 18-23}

In this parable four people heard the Gospel call but only one, the last, received the ‘effectual call’. He received the seed into good ground, ground that had been prepared through regeneration by the Holy Spirit.

CONVERSION

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness:
    according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
    {Psalms 51:1}

Conversion is the result of conscious act of a regenerate person in which he responds to the Gospel, and turns to God in faith and repentance. [The Gospel call becomes the effectual call!] In conversion the regenerate man exercises the gift of faith bestowed upon regeneration. Regeneration must precede conversion since Scripture tells us: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. [1 Corinthians 2:14] It is important to realize that conversion is a personal experience of a regenerate person with Holy God. Therefore, since no two people are alike we should not expect that they will have the same conversion experience. God saves people one at a time! Jesus Christ explains conversion in the following manner:

John 3:16, KJV
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The Apostle Paul explains conversion simply as follows:

Romans 10:9, KJV
    9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

It is inevitable that a person who has experienced regeneration [the new birth] he will also respond to the effectual call and be converted. Conversion is demanded by Scripture.

Matthew 18:2, 3 KJV
    2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
    3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Conversion is in reality an acknowledgment that one has experienced the grace of regeneration. As the believer grows in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ [2 Peter 3:18] he will come to more fully understand all the the grace bestowed with Salvation and, though they are freely bestowed, hopefully he will come to understand the infinite love demonstrated in the actual cost of Salvation.

There are a number of events that take place in the Gift of Salvation: Union with Jesus Christ, Pardon, Justification, Adoption as Children, Sanctification, Perseverance, and in time Glorification. It is also my firm belief that Salvation is a daily walk with Jesus Christ

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nicodemus: "Rabbi, we have known that from God thou hast come..."
    Christ: "If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God."

In the same vein as:

Peter: " Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."
    Christ: "Flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father who is in heaven."

Lots of good stuff in your post OR.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and we see it clearly. Why you may ask? Simple because we are the ones Jesus speaks of. Those born from above. Praise God! Happy Easter.