1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Scofield vs. Thomas Nelson

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Seeker Of Truth, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeker Of Truth

Seeker Of Truth New Member

I am currently debating if I should buy a copy of the Old Scofield Study Bible. I looked through the King James Study Bible by Thomas Nelson Publishers and was impressed by the notes.

I have heard that the Old Scofield is excellent in the cross references. The Old Scofield is geared toward sound doctrine instead of being practical like the Life Application Study Bible.

But I also heard that the Old Scofield holds to an older type of dispensational theology. Also teaches the gap theory in the book of Genesis.

I don't know much about the KJV Study Bible by Thomas Nelson so your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I know that the "New" Scofield is not recommended seeing that they actually changed some of the KJV text.

I know many fundamentalist Baptist like the Old Scofield, is the KJV Study Bible by Thomas Nelson accepted in fundamentalist circles?

Which is a better study Bible? I hope to hear from you soon.

2. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I have both--the KJV Study Bible (Thomas Nelson Publishers) and the Old Scofield Study Bible--both are good. The one problem I have with the Old Scofield is that it holds to the gap theory--other than that, I love the notes. I also like the KJV Study Bible. But with any study bible, you need to be discerning with the notes. I use both bibles.

3. Seeker Of Truth

Are the notes of KJV Study Bible by Thomas Nelson Publishers from a Baptist perspectives?

Who wrote the notes on the Thomas Nelson edition?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My recommendation is the Zondervan Study Bible, KJV. It is the best study bible in print, in my opinion. [​IMG]

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

There is a Baptist Study Bible - but, I think it is only in NKJV.

6. Seeker Of Truth

I'm not sure about Zondervan since they are not a Christian Publisher. In other words it's not own by Christians.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the KJV study bible has the same notes as the NIV study bible get that one, I don't know about Nelson, but Scofield is a bible I would recommend for anyone

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I WOULDN'T recommend for anyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.