1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Testament Holy Spirit

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by VoiceInTheWilderness, Sep 11, 2002.

1. VoiceInTheWilderness

I'd like some help.

If anyone has done any research about how The Holy Spirit worked in the Old Testament, I'd sure appreciate any info you could pass along.

I do not want any opinions please!!!!!!!!

Only facts - scripture references or names of good commentaries.

I have a research paper to write. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

He might be referring to a particular aspect of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament.

The Holy Spirit was present and active in creation, inspiration, salvation and other things.

So what is it Voice? What specifically are you looking for?

4. VoiceInTheWilderness

Did He ( Holy Spirit ) or didn't He indwell believers in the Old Testament?

I have heard good reasons to believe both, but I do not have the Old Testament references.

5. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

The promise of the indwelling of the Spirit of the whole people of God ( as opposed to specific individuals) is Joel 2:28-32 and not fulfilled until Acts 2.

A book I found to be very helpful is "I Believe In The Holy Spirit" by Michael Green. Another would be Gordon Fee's "God's Empowering Presence.

6. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Of course He did, all you have to do is grab the concordance. Gen 41:38 Joseph, Exo 31:2 Bezaleel,
    Num 11:25,26 The elders, Num 24:2 Balaam, Num 27:18 Joshua. These are just from the books of Moses there are lot's more.
    Murph

7. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I believe the Holy Spirit came upon people for different purposes in the Old Testament. He empowered them for service in different ways.

Kings

Priests

Prophets

I believe that what Jesus said in John 14 indicates that the Holy Spirit was present with people but did not indwell them until Pentecost.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have to first go back to the basics of the Gospel.

Man is depraved without God. He can not "clean himself up" according to Romans 8. EVEN with his best intentions. That means the Hebrews 11 list of the giants of the faith - had to be born again. That can not be done as a depraved enslaved sinner. ONly the third person of the Godhead can do that.

Christ expected that teaching to be well understood by Bible teachers - Before the Cross according to John 3.

The Holy Spirit has a basic role "To Convict the World of Sin and Righteousness and Judgment" Johnn 16. If He is not doing that - nobody ends up in the list of Heb 11 not even in the OT.

Galations 1:6-9 says there is only one gospel and that one Gospel was preached beforehand to Abraham Gal 3:7-9.

The sin problem has been the same since the fall of Adam and the sin solution has been the same. Not only faith IN the work of God through Christ, but also the active participation of God the Holy Spirit - in convicting and transforming the lives of the totaly depraved lost enslaved sinner.

There is no -half-way saved, nor a half-way saint.

God took more people directly to heaven without seeing death in the OT than in the NT. Forgiveness was real - and the New Birth - transformed life was real.

One sin problem - One sin solution - One Gospel in all ages.

In Christ,

Bob

[ November 15, 2002, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: BobRyan ]