1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Testament Value

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Paul also says that the church was "grafted into" Israel. Few mention that because it tends to upset their doctrine.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Just curious...

How would you understand the verse that says Christ is "the end of the Law for ALL who believes?"

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

In just the way I have explained above. Not in the very human-centered way that so many seem to see, i.e., that the OT (or the Law, as the case may be) is no longer valid.

4. JesusFan

So would you see that we are NOT bound to keep/obey the OT Law that were JUST meant for isreal, like the ceremonial laws/feasts etc, but that we still are to keep the Commandments as our standards to live by, just that we need to trust and allow the HS to live the life of Christ in us to enable us to keep them?

that is How I understand the relationship of Christian to the law, just not seeing it as the reformed believers do!

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Let's see what Jesus had to say:

Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Mat 5:18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Mat 5:19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Mat 5:20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 5:21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' Mat 5:22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire.

Mat 5:27 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.'
    Mat 5:28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. Mat 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

Mat 5:48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Make you feel better about ignoring the OT and working out your own salvation? :tear::tear::tear:

Without Christ NONE of us would have the slightest hint of hope! With Him, praise God, we have NOTHING BUT HOPE!

:jesus:

6. JesusFan

Jesus was referring to the time when by His life and death, indeed ALL of the scriptures were totally fulfilled, his death paid in full all of our obligation/debt owed to God by not keeping His law, and now made new in Him to live in the HS, as OT Law no longer in force over us, but now under "law of Christ", and commanded to walk in the HS and not fulfill "lusts of the flesh!"