1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old-Time Christian Folk Songs

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a dearth in many areas outside our small Southern communities regarding old folk ballads with Christian influences from the South, so I thought I'd make a list off of what I got in my memory. These songs are not shapenote songs, or popular Southern Gospel groups. They're the barebones, gritty, down-to-earth feelings of rural Christians calling to their Lord. Folks around here usually just sing them in the Church parking lot, or while working on their land, or in family gatherings.

I'm very young, so this here list ain't hardly worth a mite, but it's better than nothing! If there's any other old timers/elders that know of other Southern (Or Northern Folk Spirituals, is that what they're called?) please add to the list for the benefit of all, including me!

Format:
    --<Title>--<Good artist's rendition>
    --Conversation with Death/Oh Death - Lloyd Chandler or SongCatcher's Cast
    --Calvary - Dock Boggs
    --Prodigal Son - Dock Boggs
    --I'm Dying Mother/The Dying Boy - Bert Hare
    --Gospel Plow - Nashville Bluegrass Band
    --Wayfaring Stranger - Bill Monroe
    --Village Churchyard - Ralph Stanley
    --Down to the River to Pray -- Gaither
    --I Shall Not Be Moved -- Bascom Lamar Lunsford

#1 Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure whether this might have been originally a folk song or a gospel song taken up by folk singers, but I love this song...

Gloryland by Ralph Stanley

3. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many English folk songs & hymns were brought to America by immigrants & collected by Cecil Sharp from the Apalachian mountain region. And Vaughn Williams used a lot of folk tunes in his "English Hymnal."

Where appropriate such tunes have become standard in the repertoire.

The tunes - Amazing grace; King's Lynn; Kingsfold; - come to mind & there are many more.

Joan Baez sings many folk hymns & tunes.

4. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The instrument I am using in my avatar is an Indian harmonium, with keyboard powered by hand bellows. Unlike an accordion, there is a second bellows that is pumped by the first.

It was bought with a collection the church made for me when I passed 60. Half of the members were Indian, & we used many Indian language songs.

I had to learn the Punjabi script so I could prepare songs with:
    Punjabi & Hindi scripts, transliterated into the Roman alphabet & with a translation - singable if possible.

It's an interesting folk instrument I use for 'open mic' sessions.
    Hear it here

5. John Joseph Flanagan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Regarding Christian folk songs and hymns, I would like to share some Christian music with your members if you simply go to my YouTube channel, John Joseph Flanagan. There are about 20 plus songs, some I wrote as Christian folk songs, and there are traditional hymns which I covered. I am 75 years old, and I sing and record right into my IPad, playing along with my Martin Acoustic guitar. I have been writing Christian folk music for Fingerstyle and basic strumming for about 12 years. I like to also update the lyrics and chords for some of the old hymns to keep them in the public realm, as they are so wonderful, uplifting, and God glorifying. Warmest regards. Soli Deo Gloria, JJF 6/20/20

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Joseph Flanagan, welcome to the Baptist Board.

7. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks John. Your folk style hymns are a welcome addition to the range.

It would be great if you added the words below the video so we could sing along with you.