1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Time Religion

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by DependentOnJESUS, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A question also comes to my mind.

Who or what are we honoring during the preaching? The messenger or the Message.

If it is the Message, then the hearers need to accordingly comport themselves. The Message is from the Sovereign Creator God. As such, it deserves proper respect and honor.

If it is the messenger, then we are free to treat the matter as just another entertainment.

2. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

I agree Squire, 100% [​IMG]

3. DependentOnJESUS

DependentOnJESUS New Member

I beleive God is honored with Amens, Glory to God, Hallelujah, etc. No I do not know this, I just know that I praise God through Amening and such, I feel God is honored by that. No I do not mean screaming as in Penecostal churches. I guess my out come of the way others praise God is what God lays on your heart as long as it is BIBLE.
    God Bless you all....

4. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Wasn't his name Harrington? seems so to me. I heard him at a SBC church in Louisville named "Ninth & O"...or am I confusing him with someone else?

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn't his name Harrington? seems so to me. I heard him at a SBC church in Louisville named "Ninth & O"...or am I confusing him with someone else? </font>[/QUOTE]I believe that's the name. In fact I just googled it and the man has a website at http://www.thechaplain.com/homepage.html.

A unique man to say the least! :cool:

6. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I have a book entitled "Payday Someday" It contains that sermon by R.G. Lee as well as some other great messages by him. John of Japan to hear that sermon preached in person must have been quite amazing. It stirs my bones just reading it. I believe I read that R.G.Lee preached that sermon about 2 or 3 thousand times. That may not be exactly correct but I know it was an unbelievable # of times.
    I think as far as preachers who preach expostitorally who have a broad reach with their ministry, I believe Adrian Rogers is one of the last of that kind that we will see. Hopefully not but I believe so. I find it interesting that Adrian Rogers commented more than once that John R. Rice had a major impact on him as a young preacher. Rogers was a very frequent reader of the Sword of the Lord back then. Interesting how paths cross.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure how many in the SBC today understand the influence John R. Rice had through the "Sword of the Lord" in the 1950's-1970's. One of the biggest things Rice was criticized for by other IFB'ers was having messages by SBC preachers in the SOTL and in books he published. He himself started out SBC and he retained a lot of his connections.

Also, he was in on the fight against modernism in the SBC from the beginning. He was blackballed from the Texas convention for his opposition (along with J. Frank Norris) to evolution being taught at Baylor U. (his alma mater) by sociology professor Samuel Dow. He also published in and through the SOTL paper and publishing arm articles and books about modernism in the SBC. I have one of them from 1972 titled, Southern Baptists and Wolves in Sheep's Clothing (Rice was not shy about the titles he chose! :D ).

Side story: W. A. Criswell attended a Rice meeting as a boy, walked up to Rice and saw his big Baylor belt buckle (say that real fast 5 times), and said, "I want to go to Baylor and get a belt buckle like that when I grow up." ;)

May God raise up more old time Bible preachers like Rice, Criswell, Rogers and R. G. Lee! [​IMG]

8. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Praising God need not be shouting, hand raising, hanky waving, or anything like it.

True praise is a heart experience, which may or may not he outwardly reflected.

My Dear Brother!! It does not take too many trips through the Psalms to see there is no such thing as a silent joyful noise (Psalm 100) a silent new song (Psalm 40) or a silent hand clap (Psalm 47).

9. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

The Top two lines of the preceding post was a quote from C4K Thanks.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Note my quote - "need not" be. Praise may very welll be all of those things. However, there are times when I am so full of praise that it brings me to quietly weep in praise and admiration of my heavenly Father for His mercy and grace.

I never claimed that there is a silent joyful noise, a silent new song, or a silent clap. Only that praise is not limited to those things.

11. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I understand, C4K. I have just met so many brothers who are outwardly excited about everything except Jesus or redemption. These same folks who say "I am a weeper" would never cry when their team scores a touchdown or their son hit the winning basket at the state championships. I really do believe the reason our Baptist Churches are relatively dead are because of P-R-I-D-E.

Thanks.

12. DependentOnJESUS

Amen to that. I agree. My excitement comes over just thinking about John 3:16 and the change God has made to my family's life. I just wish God's people would get to the point of realizing that people are going to hell because we are not praising God, if we were then there would be a burden. That was what was good about the old days I am speaking of, Jesus Christ was uplifted at in the home and at church. Hope you all will be in a house of worship tomorrow and I pray God be with you.

13. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Dependent sounds like he is from the "ol' Tabernacle on Whitehorse Rd"

14. DependentOnJESUS

PrimePower7,
    No I do not goto Tabernacle, although I think it is a great church. I am an IFB, no doubt. My pastor went there and teaches there now. I have thought about going there for some bible courses,anyone here a graduate from there? May God be with you all.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

With all due respect, where does the Bible say people go to hell because Christians fail to worship God?

People go to hell because they are under condemnation as sinners.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Thats why we don't base our theology and understanding of God on our feelings, but rather on the Scriptures. Just because you feel God is honored doesn't mean that He is.

I have been to IFB chruches where they do all that hoot and hollerin stuff, and it was obivous that what was taking place was just an emotional racket with no worship taking place whatsoever. I know that because people would amen poor, out of context, legalistic messages aimed at soliciting a response. Those kind of churches are so theologically bankrupt that they fail to see what biblical worship really is.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not accusing you or your church of such, just speaking of my experience.

17. DependentOnJESUS

4HisGlory,
    No problem on your reponse. I did not mean prople that do not praise God are going to hell, I mean becuase people are not praising God (prayer closets, worship, studying God's word, etc.)sinners are not getting saved and going to hell. Sorry for my wording. Most baptist are spirtually dead, I have seen it and heard it, at least here in Greenville. And looking at the way America is, most in the US are. As baptist saved by the grace of God, we need to be more appreciative of the fact that our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried and resurrected for us, so we might have life eternal. AMEN and AMEN!

And no I base my praise upon scipture, it does say lift your voices in praise to the Lord. And you can do that silently, I agree. I understand what you mean by legalistic, I have been in many SBC churches that do that also, and no it is not right. I am very blessed, I goto a IFB church that preaches sound doctrine w/out all the "let me tell you how I feel about it and you need to feel that way too". I appreciate your feedback and sorry for the misunderstanding of my wording. Have a blessday day!

18. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

I agree, what exactally is "old time religion? </font>[/QUOTE]It's where they don't hand you a "Schedule" for the services, what songs to sing, what scripture to read, or even certain who is going to preach.

Where people come/kneel at the altar if they want a prayer answered, and half, to three fourth of the church will join them at the altar, and at any time during the service.

Where the "heartache" of one, aches the hearts of all, and it's not forgotten by none after the services are over.

Where the "SPIRIT" is so strong people "Literally Cry" for "Joy".

It's a place so close to being "HEAVEN", people look forward to going and hate to leave.

Just as God works in "mysterious ways", so does the "SPIRIT", you can't box him in with a certain "FORMAT".

When the "SPIRIT" is turned loose, people will shout the praises of God, if they don't, it's because the "Spirit s "quenched".

Granny, move over, I feel like climbing that tree too.

19. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Amen to that Me4Him!!!

20. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

"AMEN".

Walk out on the street, stop people at "random", ask them this question.

"What are the "wages of sin"??

Compare the ratio of those who can/can't correctly answer that question.

"WHAT'S" so impossible about making the world aware of the correct answer to that simple question???

Churches/people spend "millions" to help people, yet fail in the most basic principles of "Christianity", that is of each being a "missionary" and explaining the plan of salvation to people.

I "THANK GOD" people around me more than five minutes "DON'T" have to ask if I'm a Christians, they "KNOW".