1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oldest association in America

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Feb 25, 2007.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was looking in the history section and found the following post on the 300th anniversary of the Baptist association in America:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=965089
    See also:
    http://www.baptiststandard.com/postnuke/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=5432

The Philadelphia Baptist Association, organized in 1707, is the first and oldest association in America. But the General Six-Principle Baptist Rhode Island Yearly Meeting was formed in 1670. It is evidently the oldest gathering of Baptists beyond the church level (and predates Philadelphia by 37 years). If we look at "association" as a formal organizing beyond the local level rather than just the name itself, is it possible that we have skewed our history by not recognizing the Rhode Island Yearly Meeting as the oldest?

2. abonmarche'

abonmarche' New Member

http://www.esva.net/ghotes/gazetter/redbankhistory.htm

yep! Old for sure compared to Eastern Shore of Virginia's Baptist Churches. Their Accomack Association, Virginia began in 1832 and was sponsored by the Red Bank Baptist Church. Click my link, Thank you for info.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly. I admit I am not familiar with the history of the yearly meeting and don't know if it undertook any "associational" work or not.

My understanding is that the yearly meeting was of the Six-Principle Baptists, who were Generals.

Part of the preference in Baptist historiography may be that the Philadelphia Association was of Particulars, who were the mainstream of Baptist life (until recently), and Generals played a small part in the histories written by Benedict, et al.

(I would note that one of the beliefs of the Six-Principle Baptists apparently made an impression on their Philadelphia brethren, who adopted laying on of hands as an ordinance in their 1742 revision of the Second London Baptist Confession.)

The Philadelphia Association also probably had better publicity because of its aggressive missionary efforts and attempts - for lack of a better term - to be a court of judicial review to settle questions submitted by churches. The Philadelphia Association, it seems to me, to function as a denomination much as the General Baptist associations did in England.

The Philadelphia Association, it also should be noted, was the driving force behind the establishment of Rhode Island College (now Brown University).

BTW: The current Six-Principle Baptists say that the Rhode Island state flag's inclusion of the anchor and the word "Hope" (both from Hebrews 6) attest to the Six-Principle Baptist heritage of the state, though I cannot confirm this claim; the association's current logo also includes the anchor:

[​IMG]

#3 rsr, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007