1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Olympic Predictions Of All Kinds

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Rippon, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is already one other thread on the Summer Olympics.This one will deal with predictions.First,does anyone thing any record-shattering -- not just record-breaking will occur? For instance, Bob Beamon jumped 8.90 meters in the Long Jump in the 1968 Olympics held in mexico City. That was 55 centimeters longer than the previous best. No one has topped his jump to my knowledge.

Will there be any heartwarming scenes where individuals from rivalling nations bond publically?

Will there be significant displays of force by the Chinese Special Forces?

I think that protests against Chinese treatment of Tibet will happen.

I certainly do hope a repeat of the kind of violence such as the 1972 Munich Olympics will not take place.

I think an unprecedented number of controversial judging calls will be made unfortunately.Do you remember the 1989 Seoul Olympics?Roy Jones Jr. was robbed of his rightful win against Park Si-Hun. The latter and the ref both apologised for that lousy decision. The "Judges" were suspended for that call.

Do you think the bad air quality (which China calls "mist") will prove to be the undoing of their huge promotional campaign of marketing this giant up-and-coming nation to the world?

Bejing is just a couple hundred miles up the road;but I have no desire to see any of the excitement outside of the gates,much less the inside action. I'll be content to see some recaps on TV and the internet.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay Rippon.I'll make a prediction or two. I think when all is said and done America will have the most medals.China will have the most gold.That's not much of a risky prediction.At the moment,as I post, the USA has a total of 50 medals -- 16 of which are gold.China has 43 total medals -- 27 of them are gold.

I think that China (in their own backyard) will be angry if the USA comes out on top. Maybe some Chinese officials will take away some medals from America. Michael Phelps must be a big headache for them.Now that's a riskier prediction.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think the US will not do as well in Track and Field as normal. That sport reminds me of US pro sports...a Moroccan goes to Finland, trains there, and becomes a citizen, thus running for a traditional T&F weakling.

Thus, the normal powerhouses have seen their talent base erode.

I think the Aussies will take the US in Phelps' last event (4x100 medley). Even he, at some point, begins to tire. US gets silver in a close one.

I predict controversy in gymnastics scoring. Now that's bold, huh? :D

Finally, I see the 100m record being obliterated, with one that will stand for 10 years or so.

BTW, a Beamon-like record was broken. The women's freestyle 800m winner from Great Britain broke a 20-year old record set by American swimmer Janet Evans. Given today's advances, that's nothing short of incredible.

The second-oldest record is thirteen years less than Evans', I believe.