1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Omniscience and Determinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

For most of Christian history most believers wouldn't have any clue as to what anthropomorphism is, yet they were able to relate to God as He chose to reveal himself. You don't need a degree to understand God's revelation of Himself. He inspired fishermen not philosophers for a reason. He chooses the simple to shame the wise.

If God wished to reveal himself in the terms by which you believe him to be he certainly could have chosen those terms. He most certainly is more capable than even Jonathan Edwards to plum the depths of human language by which to explain Himself and His workings. But he didn't use those terms. He chose relational words...words we can understand and relate to. He reveals, without qualification, that he makes choices, which is 'selecting between available possibilities,' something your construct outright denies based on your finite understanding of omniscience.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to deny revelation based on my finite logic of infinite matters.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's not true.

Christians have NEVER struggled with the idea that God has no corporeal form.

Christians have never had trouble understanding zoomorphism and apthropomorphism.

Is this an appeal to the readers of this debate? Are you hoping to win folks over with a populist approach?

Not in mortal tongue. That's EXACTLY why there IS a such thing as anthropomorphism because there are no terms in mortal tongue by which we can understand these aspects.

Logic is not finite. Logic is truth. Truth is not finite.

Something cannot exist and not exist at the same time. That is not finite. It is truth.

Something cannot be one thing and not be that thing at the same time.

That fact has nothing to do with finiteness.

3. Skandelon

For those of us in time and space, no. The word 'future' is a linear word and only exists in space and time.

Have you ever studied the curvature of space and time in Science class? Where they show that an atomic clock that is placed on a jet flying at very high speeds actually travels slower than a clock left on the ground? It proves that an object in motion actually ages slower than an object at rest. Or, that time is relative to speed and mass. Light is one of the fastest substances we can measure and if it were possible for a clock to travel the speed of light it would travel even slower than the clock on the jet, because time is relative to speed and mass. Well, if this is true (which it has been proven to be), then it bears to reason that if something could travel faster than any mass could travel, it would be timeless...i.e. Spirit.

Kind of blows the mind, doesn't it. :thumbsup:

4. Skandelon

The only real truth we can know is what God has chosen to reveal. He reveals himself as one who makes choices. If you wish to dismiss that characteristic as to mean, "he doesn't make choices because he already knows what he is going to choose" as if he is stuck on some linear timeline with you, I can't stop you...

If you want to label every characteristic of God that doesn't fit in your box as anthropomorphic and dismiss it as such, go right ahead.

For me, I have no problem thinking of God with eyes, hands and feet; as He actually revealed himself as such in Christ, so I'm sure He isn't going to be upset if I think of him by those terms or with that visual imagery. When I read the Psalm about his holding me with his mighty hand and I visualize an actual large hand holding me, there isn't anything wrong with that. It's not contradicting anything about what has been revealed.

But if you start saying the OPPOSITE of what is revealed...(i.e. He doesn't ever really make a choice, it just IS) I'm going to disagree.

I'm disagreeing because I'm right or because God has determined me to be wrong, either way you are fighting God, so go for it.

5. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Yes, it does.
    Are you saying that God is timeless?
    Would you say that God is simultaneously both atemporal and temporal?
    Would you say that God's future already exists or does not already exist or that the future does not exist?
    Are you saying that the future for time-space reality does exist but that we cannot travel to it?

In my view, things either exist or they don't. If something exists then it can be said that God is convinced of its existence. So, for me, when I consider that the future doesn't exist then that is the ontological status of it... it doesn't exist. It cannot be the case that a thing actually exist but actually not exist. So, if the future does exist, then it exists. You may mean that man cannot travel to it but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It seems this is your point: the future does exist but its observance of it is impossible for man.

So many questions to answer for us to all talk intelligibly with one another.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

God knows all things that will ever happen, due to the fact that He either did them already directly. or else permitted them to happen, but all done within his plans/purposes!

Go back to when God created the Universe, at that 'time" God already knew all future historial events!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This was a major struggle in the early church that led to heresy.

I would say its safe to say 99.5% of believers do not even know what the phrases mean.

How do you apply this reasoning to miracles like walking on water...the hypostatic union...and the Godhead?

8. Skandelon

I believe scripture supports that God is infinite, eternal, transcendent, omni-present, omnipotent and omniscient. I also believe scripture reveals him to be relationally immanent, forgiving, responsive, caring, concerned, and loving. Honestly, after all my studies on this subject I have to admit I have NO idea how all those work together logically. I've concluded that is what faith is all about and have chalked it up to, "His ways are higher than ours."

One thing I will say though, is it is much easier to cry, laugh, converse and appeal to his immanent attributes than it is his transcendant ones. I don't talk to Him like he already knows what I'm going to say, or like He won't respond to my prayers, or like He has decided who He will and won't save. He relates to me much more like a friend than a master since I've given up trying to shove him in a defined theological box.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Without difficulty.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Ok, we'll that's your problem. You think anthropomorphism is bunk and God literally has horns and a head covered with eyeballs and flies around with wings.

I'm content to have a theology very different from someone who believes such things.

I'm content that your soteriology is flawed because of this error.

So, it's really Calvinism or a belief that God is a really weird looking animal.

I can rest my case here- without trouble.

#70 Luke2427, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh? Didnt you state something cannot be one thing and something else at the same time? Water cannot be walked on yet it was. Wine does not come from water yet it did. You cannot be one person and three yet God is.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Water can be walked on. Wine can turn to water.

You are confusing the laws of nature and the laws of logic.

They are not the same.

An undergrad level class on logic would help you here greatly.

And the Trinity is not illogical either.

I refer you to a good article on this:

http://carm.org/trinity-makes-no-sense-it-isnt-logical

#72 Luke2427, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

Have you admitted punishing sinners for predestined sin is not the orthodox view? A yes or no would work for me. :)

Please stop trying to change the subject by misrepresenting my views.

1) If everything is predestined, God is the author of sin. That is the orthodox view.

2) Calvinism claims God predestines everything. Do you agree with Calvinism on this point?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

It is not an answer to a question to change the subject and claim not to understand two verses.

Then you evade the question by saying you will not say God punishes sinners for the sins He predestines. A yes or no is required.

Yes, God either causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass is the orthodox view, but Calvinism claims God predestines whatsoever comes to pass. Is Calvinism mistaken on this point, is Exhaustive Determinism a mistaken doctrine?

You say you believe God knows what we will choose to do with certainty but that still allows us to choose something else. I say that view is irrational nonsense.

At the end of the day, both Calvinism and Arminianism are irrational in that they deny logical necessity.

#74 Van, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Yes, I admit that the majority of Christians in history do not believe God predestines people to sin, and then punish them of it...in fact most Christians do not believe God predestines sins at all.

However, many other Christians (high calvinists) have believed God does predestine every act of history, including sin, and holds people responsible for their sinful acts. Many good Christians have believed this, and served God faithfully while holding this view.

No, I would say God either predestines or allows everything...but that his knowledge of what he allows is exhaustive in that he knows I will sin before it happens. This fact (God knowing what happens before it happens) is also the historic orthadox view.

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Sorry I wasn't clearer, in saying "I will not say" I was saying that I would not say that because I'm not convinced that it is true. In saying that, I don't have a good explanation for the 2 verses I posted, and recognize some tension there.

I would say Yes.

Actually, if God knows what we will choose because he has perfect knowledge, then what he actually allows us to choose is simply what we choose, not something else.

Probably, but denying God's knowledge of future free decisions (including sins) also presents logical problems.

Also, you keep saying I am misrepresenting your views...how have I done so?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

not naturally or logically.

no I haven't.

except when they are.

:rolleyes:
    It must be accepted on faith, not logic. God said let US reason TOGETHER. We cannot stand toe to toe with an infinite God on logic. Did your class teach you that?

18. Skandelon

You are exactly right. The whole deterministic appeal is to answer the question of an uncaused cause, but God himself is an uncaused cause, so by their own standard of only accepting what is 'logical' they dismiss the possibility of God's existence. He, along with his eternal, infinite attributes, must be accepted by faith, not logic, PERIOD.

19. Skandelon

Now you are putting words in my mouth instead of quoting my actual words...an unhealthy pattern with you.

I said, there is nothing wrong with understanding God using the terms with which HE chose to reveal himself. Poetic and apocalyptic literature is very different from didactic teaching. I know you learned that in your Hermeneutics courses, as did I. You seem to want to equate the two taking passages that are clearly teaching about God electing/determining/choosing/deciding, and equating them to the extreme apocalyptic symbolism. Who else does this? What else can we dismiss from the didactic teachings using this standard? Maybe Heaven isn't really a place he went to prepare for us? Maybe Hell isn't really a place people are sent? Maybe divine judgement and wrath was just comparing to man's, but doesn't really exist? You must not dismiss clear didactic texts in this manner. It is very dangerous.

And you don't recognize how ridiculous this sounds to anyone reading along? Come now, let's be reasonable.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...which is the summary of Hebrew 11. Imagine if Abraham appealed to logic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.