1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On Abortion...again.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by auburnhale, Apr 2, 2008.

1. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

Well, I have been away from baptist board for some time now. Anyways, I can't help notice that alot of christians are against abortion. Now, I don't know the bible like the back of hand or anything, but is there any verse in the Bible that says that the "killing" of the unborn is a sin? I feel like many put this issue up so high in the church, so Im wondering why.

2. standingfirminChrist

God's Word says "Thou shalt not kill."

To abort a pregnancy is murder. It is taking life. The embryo is alive whether people want to deny it or not. The egg will not be fertilized if both it and the sperm cell are not alive. If on is alive, but the other dead, there is no pregnancy.

God said "Thou shalt not kill." To perform an abortion, doctors disobey God's Word. In performing abortion, in having an abortion, sin has been committed.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow!:tear:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes.

Exd 20:13 "You shall not murder.

5. belvedere

belvedere Member

my thoughts exactly...

6. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

I see how your approaching the topic. The issue there is in you saying the embryo is alive. Im not looking for an answer with a whole belief over the theory of the embryo being alive and using a verse like "thou shalt not kill"to answer with. Nothing wrong with your belief, but if the embryo wasn't alive than how do you prove biblically how abortion is wrong? Is the whole belief that is a sin based on humans debating whether the embryo is alive?

#6 auburnhale, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. The belief is based on God's command not to murder. It is sin to take the life of another, unless it's self defense or war.
    If the embryo is human, it's a sin to abort it.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

auburnhale,

God has a plan, a purpose for our lives prior to conception. He holds the sanctity of life in the highest regard.
    In the Lord's eyes, Jeremiah's life began prior to conception.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Psalm 127:3 says children are a gift of the Lord.

Psalm 139:15 For you formed my inmost being. You knit me together in my mother's womb

Whether it be a baby or a full grown adult, the attempted murder of a human being is all the same to our Lord.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a thought. Stay away from slaughtering children at any stage in devleopement and you don't have to parse semantics.

10. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

It is on the debate of the embryo being alilve. Yeah, it's human..not denying that, but so is a body lying in a casket.

11. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

Thanx for answering.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Two excellent responses.

13. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

Thank you for the replyl These are verse I am well accainted with.

Jeremiah 1:5...Good verse but I think this is taken out of context. Im not appointed a prophet and God is not talking universally, he talking directly. It's ironic how the word "formed" is usd. "Formed": is a 9 month process that leads up to to the birth, not the proof of life.

Psalm 127:3....yep.

Psalm 139:15....again showing God's process of forming a human.

All these verses show how God has his hand in the forming of the baby in the womb, not proof of life. I can see how one can say how abortion is wrong because it is interfering with God's will, but I think we are all guilty of that. On top of this, God never addresses the issue.

(to new readers, please read previous responses so I don't have to keep saying the same thing over and over again. Thanx!)

14. standingfirminChrist

Might be a good idea for you to believe "Thou shalt not kill" so we don't have to repeat things over and over again.

15. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

Please see topic "hatefulness" on this thread. I was asking for a favor from new readers, not jabbing an insult at you. Just stay on topic.

16. standingfirminChrist

I was on topic. The thread is about abortion. Thou shalt not kill is a law against all murder, not just murders of those outside the womb.

Abortion causes the life in those cells, that have come together in order to create a human being, to cease.

One had destroyed life in the process of preventing the fetus from reaching full term. That is murder whether you want to call it murder on not.

Thou shalt not kill.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You feel safe in killing off something God has His hand in forming in His own image?

Guilty is the key word here. As a child of God, I have no desire to be guilty and if I am I must seek forgiveness. Those who continue to do those things that make them "guilty" are by definition not children of God. Those who advocate that others do things that make them guilty fit the definition of not being children of God.

Now, if you want to debate the merits of expecting an unsaved world to follow what God says is right(that is to outlaw abortion), then that will be a whole different conversation and you will be surprised at what side of that line I stand on. But, "thou shalt not murder" includes the unborn.

18. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

What I am trying to say is that "killing" is the key word. If there is not life until the baby is born, than it is not killing. Now, I never said I believed that was no life inside the womb, but I personally believe that happens at certain point in the pregnancy. So the whole "thou shalt not murder" including the unborn is relative to the debate whether it is alive. You can't "kill" something that is not alive.

19. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

What I am trying to say is that "killing" is the key word. If there is not life until the baby is born, than it is not killing. Now, I never said I believed that was no life inside the womb, but I personally believe that happens at certain point in the pregnancy. So the whole "thou shalt not murder" including the unborn is relative to the debate whether it is alive. You can't "kill" something that is not alive.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So, how do you define "life"?