1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On music

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darren, May 8, 2008.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

I believe the message of the song makes it good or bad or neither. But some feel the beat or tune of the music can make it of Satan. What makes you think that, if you do?

Sorry, not sure what else to say without input. Haven't given this much serious thought (aside from an episode where I joined the rock music haters at about 11... yea, I had not clue what I was talking about).

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I believe it's the words tht make a song bad. I've heard some songs that were smooth and gentle in beat, and the message in words was horrid.

3. peterotto

peterotto New Member

A pen is not evil. Neither is the paper. But the artist can draw an inappropriate picture with the pen and paper.

The notes alone are not evil. It is how it is put together. Music is a language and we need to make sure the music at Service to worship God is appropriate. Where to draw the line is subjective. Good luck.

4. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

This is a great question and one that you will get different answers on. I found this at www.gotquestions.org and I thought I would post it, hope it helps.

http://www.gotquestions.org/contemporary-Christian-music.html
    Question: "Contemporary Christian music - is it honoring to God? Should it be used in church services?"

Answer: Some fifty or so years ago, dairy farmers discovered the playing of soothing music encouraged cows to produce more milk. Since more milk meant greater profits, farmers began installing sound systems inside their dairy barns. One major dairy producer capitalized on this innovation by advertising "Milk from contented cows."

Oddly enough, the sweet strains of music very often produce an entirely opposite reaction among Christians. Instead of contentment, hostile disagreements over selections in worship music have become a leading cause of congregational infighting and even church splits! To our shame, there are believers who sulk and fume from their pews if their particular brand of musical tastes is not satisfied. Studies and surveys in churches are showing that music ministers are among the most stressed in Christian ministry.

Musical tastes are as varied as church members themselves. There are those who love the old hymns while others much prefer a more contemporary flavor. Some music ministers have attempted to appease everyone by blending the old with the new. Other churches offer two separate worship services each Sunday--one being traditional and the other a contemporary service. Still, there are churches that tenaciously cling to old-fashion tradition. I know of a local pastor who is fond of bragging, "You won't hear any contemporary music in our church! We remain true to the old hymns!" What he fails to realize is that even the old hymns were "contemporary" when they were first written! In contrast, I once attended a church in which the music was played at an ear-splitting volume resembling that of an armored vehicle crossing a minefield.

There are those who argue the old hymns are a tangible link to our past. This is certainly true, for these hymns have surely withstood the test of time. Many of the old hymns, too, are rich in Christian doctrine. The lyrics of Charles Wesley or Martin Luther, as examples, give magnificent instruction in sound Christian theology.

But can we not make similar statements favoring contemporary Christian music? Yes, we certainly can, for there are some wonderful Christian artists glorifying the name of Christ Jesus with their talents. Should we deny their musical contributions based solely upon the fact their songs are fresh and new? To do so sounds rather legalistic and since when has unbending legalism brought honor to God? Far too often we allow our own personal taste in music to become the standard for what music is glorifying to God. Instead, we should allow, even promote, Christian freedom and grace in musical preferences.

People are always asking if drums or keyboards or, yes, if electric guitars belong in the church. All musical instruments are, in themselves, neither good nor bad--they are amoral. So the question is this: Does a style of music edify believers while bringing honor and glory to Christ Jesus? If so, then what difference does it make if the accompaniment is provided by a piano or a guitar? Perhaps Ephesians 5:19 is the answer to this issue in that it promotes worshipping the Lord and encouraging other believers in three different "styles" of music, "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord."

5. Darren

Darren New Member

A time and a season for everything. Very wise of a quote. I'm speaking in a more general sense though.

To me, rock that has a positive message for God, or uplifts certain values we all hold dear, can be called, good songs. Songs by certain metal bands that talk about fantasy and sci-fi stories, I'd call neutral. A song about constantly taking advantage of girls, or murdering cops, or glorifies living a sin sick life, those would be bad.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Music can be primitive or complex. My hero, Richard Feynmann, played the bongos but I suppose in a complex fashion.

What percentage of the people who drive around with boom boxes blaring have incomes in the top 20%? In the bottom 20%?

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not sure what blaring music has to do with income.

8. Darren

Darren New Member

I'll just take a wild stab and say since they can afford giant boom boxes, they're porbably not in the bottom 20%, but if they're driving around in a normal neighborhood, they're also not in the upper 20%. Course, in America, ya never know.

I will say all these studies involving plants are kinda silly. I don't notice negative effect of music... but I also don't have green pigment and don't photosynthsize. Why don't they perform these experiments on geniune pigs or monkeys? I might guess and say because the results are usually inconclusive. Sure, the first time introduce to loud music an animal might get scared... but probably not depending on the animal, and will probably just adjust after a while