1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On whose and what authority do we interpret Scripture?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Matt Black, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I see your point, Matt, and I hear this from same view from Catholics (are you by any chance a former Roman Catholic?).

However, there are not really "splits" as you put it,because what we disagree on is not major doctrine. There is still unity in the body of Christ because all believers are united in Christ through faith. It is Christ who unites us, not our agreements or intepretations.

We have a legacy of Christian doctrine and belief from history and we have God's word. I don't think Protestantism is dependent on just individuals, because if an individual departs from essential historic Christianity (such as denying the Trinity or denying the deity of Christ), it is clear they are rejecting what comprises the faith.

True, anyone can "set up shop" and start a church -- and many do! -- but if their teachings depart from this historic faith and God's word, they are leaving the unity that one has in the body of Christ.

I think it is both corporate and individual -- the church/body of Christ corporate and the individuals saved by Christ individually who make it up.

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Marcia,

We gotta quit overlapping on our posts. This one within three minutes. On "descended into hell" at the same time stamp!

You have some pretty good insight. Went to your www. Will keep your ministry in prayer. One of our other elders was big into NAM before coming to Christ.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

[​IMG] You must be a night owl, too!

Thanks so much, RJ! I appreciate that. It's a real blessing to get that kind of encouragement!

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks to Marcia and RJPrince for your wise insights. Yes, I am a former Catholic who walked away from that tradition in my teens. I'm not advocating that kind of a 'solution'! But I do find the current 'set-up' most unsatisfactory, although your suggestions go some way towards resolving it. I suppose for the moment, I try to adopt an holistic approach wherever possible, looking at interpretations across the denominations (yes, even Catholic and Orthodox!) and across church history; in doing this, as you know, I often put myself at odds with the 'majority opinion' (if there is one!) on this BB, but I'm far form convinced that we Baptists or indeed we evangelicals have got it right in the way we interpret or indeed ignore certain Scriptures when they don't agree with our theology eg: I Peter 3:21, and therefore other traditions and churches may have it more right on occasions....I also thing that Baptist ecclesiology can be more of a weakness rather than a strength on this issue, as the 'local church' doctrine does tend to reinforce the 'sola'individual problem to which I earlier referred.

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. grace56

grace56 Guest

Matt, if your up to it I would sugest a book that I've come across. My Lfe of The Rock by Jeff Cavins.
    You may find yourself in these pages, If not now someday.

peace in Christ
    saved56

6. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I am not an ex-Catholic at all. I've been Baptist all of my life. But I think there needs to be a better enforcement of orthodoxy in the Baptist church. By that, I mean that none of the statements of faith that Baptists write are ever binding. They are more guidelines than anything, and that seems rediculous. We need unity, yes, but I think true unity comes through a right understanding of GOd. And a right understanding of God comes from a proper understanding of Scriptures.

So my solution to the delimma is maybe some kind of creed or confession that Baptists can hold to. Something that lines out what exctly is believed about certain issues and is binding rather than something that is ambiguous and open to interpretation.

7. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I am not an ex-Catholic at all. I've been Baptist all of my life. But I think there needs to be a better enforcement of orthodoxy in the Baptist church. By that, I mean that none of the statements of faith that Baptists write are ever binding. They are more guidelines than anything, and that seems rediculous. We need unity, yes, but I think true unity comes through a right understanding of GOd. And a right understanding of God comes from a proper understanding of Scriptures.

So my solution to the delimma is maybe some kind of creed or confession that Baptists can hold to. Something that lines out what exctly is believed about certain issues and is binding rather than something that is ambiguous and open to interpretation.

8. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

The Baptist Faith and Message of 1963 is an attempt to do that. The SBC meets annually to address many issues, matters of doctrine included (as I understand the process). The problem is that there is no indication that one local church is ever subject to the rule of any other church or organization. On the contrary each church is to be autonomous. Sure can't debate that here though. Maybe a new thread? No time myself though, at least not for now.

The Jerusalem council is not an example of the mother church telling the other churches what to do. It is an example of Apostolic authority and church cooperation. Having a fixed doctrinal standard may be OK to a degree, but the only discipline would be to disfellowship with a church(es) who reject the doctrinal standard of the larger body.

9. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Sorry, meant to add, not being SBC any more I am by no means authority from that perspective. Maybe someone from the "inside" could address the issue in greater detail to either correct or affirm that aspect of my post.

As long as we are there, is the SBC ever going to dump the churches that are CBF supporters of the issues of inerrancy, GLBT friendliness, or role of women in ministry? Listed in order that I consider most critical.

10. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Matt,

Well put! And I too am an ex-catholic who walked away during my early teens.

;)

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But the problem with that for me is that sola scriptura is ultimately sine ecclesia . It's a guy reading a book on his own. What happens then to "Wherever two or three are gathered together, there am I in the midst of them..."? So it's also a guy who's one short of a quorum for the Church. There's no such thing as a one-man church. So in that sense too, sola Scriptura is at war with solus Christus. To be a 'sloe interpreter' is, in a profound sense, to be "One Christian short of the Church..."

So, back to the question of the OP:

Who decides what the Bible teaches?

Who gets to decide what's an acceptable explanation of a contradiction and what isn't?

Who decides which boundaries to use to narrow the field of legitimate interpretations?

If you and I both see something in the Bible that appears to be a contradiction, and we each, in good faith, with prayer, with reference to the rest of Scripture and to the best information we can find about genre, history, etc., come up with an explanation for that contradiction -- if our explanations differ, who gets to decide which one of us is right?

Yours in Christ

Matt

12. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

the problem is, people interpriting scripture. there is no reason why any one should interprit anything in the Bible other than what and how the words are plainly written down If people need to interprit scripture maybe they should buy a Bible that is written in their language.

what kills me people take a verse from Psalms and take a verse from one of pauls epistles then add it to the book of proverbs and try to get some sort of interpritation from it.

when I read a book I dont start from the middle of it and read backwards I start in the first chapter and finish with the last chapter

I think if people would start reading the books of the Bible just like they would any other book, from front to back there would be absolutley no reason to try to interprit what the Author of the Bible plainly wants us to see.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Except that there are many different styles and genres in the Bible; it is a collection of books (that's what Biblia means) not one book, written over a large number of centuries by different inspired authors to very different faith communities. Therefore it is impossible to read it 'just like any other book'.

How would you for example, interpret the 'teleios' of I Cor 13:10? Even among those on this board who claim to use the 'plain meaning' (as you put it) of Scripture, you will find many differing opinions of just this one word in the Bible

Yours in Christ

Matt

14. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

yes there are 66 different books in the Bible written by over 30 different people
    which all point to the Coming messiah in the OT and reveals who He is in the new covenant.

I would start with the first chapter in first Corinthians and end with chapter 16:24 (as with any other book within the Bible)the content within First corinthians tells us that the Household of Chloe has reported to Paul of strife in the Church at Corinth. the church sent a delegation of 3 men with a letter to Paul that seeks his wisdom on several different matters the church is concerned about.
    the letter from Paul to the church at corinth deals systematically with the issues which has arised in the chirch in corinth such asImmorality, Lawsuits,challenges to Pauls apostleship, meat sacrafices to idols, marriage, Divorce and the Lords Supper.
    Classic teaching is offered in Spiritual gifts. Chapter 12 deals with Christian love, chapter 13 deals with the Resurrection, chapter 15 in addition topaulswords of dicipline he offers practical suggestions to the people while proclaiming the Gospelas the power and wisdom of God.
    the theme of the epistle is Christ alone is able to cleanse us of our sins and make us presentable unto God the Father. only christians are able to give true love, true love is an action, a decession and a commitment. God will never let us be tempted beyond our limits. Brothers and sisters in christ need to be as one in unitynot to be made avalable to the world.
    Mature Christians should often limit their personal libertys for the benefit for younger weaker Christians.
    Believers recieve gifts that we may glorify God with them and build up the body of Christ in love.
    Jesus wants to be a part of all areas of our lives and the answer to all of our problems.

if anyone gets anything other than what is within the content of the scripture is overanylizing the scripture and basically adding to what the text actually means which God tells us NOT to do.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

It's not 'adding to', it's trying to discern what was truly meant.

Based on what you say above re context, what then for you is the correct translation and meaning of 'teleios'?

Yours in Christ

Matt

16. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

which meaning of the word best fits the overall meaning of the theme of the epistle?
    KISS
    keep it stupid simple.

17. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

BTW my Bible is in written in English not Konie Greek.

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Now you're just being coy ;) ; you tell me which meaning best fits...

Yours in Christ

Matt

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I'm not asking how your English translation interprets the word, I'm asking how you do so

Yours in Christ

Matt

20. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

this is what it means with the whole sentance
    10. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    now lets read further so we can get the whole meaning of what the meaning of the sentance is

1. Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    2. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
    3. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
    4. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
    5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
    6. Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
    7. Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
    8. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    9. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    10. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    11. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
    12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
    13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

WOW, Kind of brings light to the meaning of that one word contained within that one sentance once you read the whole chapter dont it?
    now read the rest of the other chapters for further enlightenment.