1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On whose and what authority do we interpret Scripture?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Matt Black, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sorry, Matt, I've been immersed in some work and had to let the BB go for a few days. :(

The essentials agreed on by all Christians, that I know of are:
    1. The nature of God: omniscient, omnipotent, just, righteous, merciful, loving
    2. The Trinity
    3. The Virgin Birth
    4. Jesus atonement for sins completed on the cross
    5. Jesus' bodily resurrection
    6. Saved by grace through faith in Christ
    7. Regeneration by the HS for believers
    8. The 2nd coming of the Lord

Many would argue that the finer points of salvation are not essential, especially when there are even different views even amongsts Calvinists and non-Calvinists on the details. When I took Soteriology in seminary, I was confused even more than ever on the topic! I saw how complex it is when you get into the nitty-gritty. But this does not bother me because I don't think we can understand everything.

As far as I Pet 3.21 goes, you have to look at it in context with other passages on baptism. It explicitly states that this baptism is not removing dirt from the flesh, so it is not water baptism. I didn't know the Catholics used this verse to support being saved by water baptism.

I definitely do not have the time nor desire to get into a debate over water baptism!! :eek:

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK, if those are your essentials, that's great news; they're mine too! Catholics similarly agree all 8, despite what I've said about their take on I Peter 3:21, which we'll save for another thread perhaps ;) and despite them having a different take on how #6 is communicated to us. But I rather fear that you and I are in a minority here: looking at these boards (and leaving to one side the ridiculous KJVOist's assertions), one may forgiven for thinking that one must adopt a literalist, inerrantist view of Scripture, a Calvinist soteriology, not be a Catholic or Episcopalian or liberal, agree with all the Baptist distinctives, be a pre-mill pre-trib dispy etc in order to be saved.

Personally, I'd rather stick with Jesus...it's a lot simpler :D and I believe more effective... ;)

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is that not what evangelicals do, the only difference being that we claim that our conclusions are in keeping with the Word of God?

Yours in Christ

Matt