1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Once again, Redskins win the offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by JGrubbs, Mar 16, 2006.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Leave it to the Redskins to flaunt convention, manipulate the salary cap, and once again go all-out to win the offseason. It's surprising they didn't get in on the Culpepper sweepstakes.

It is the best time of year for owner Daniel Snyder to remind his colleagues that his Redskins are the NFL's No. 1 cash cow, the team with the league's biggest stadium, most revenues and ranked No. 1 on the Forbes list of most valuable franchises.

By trading for San Francisco receiver Brandon Lloyd and signing free-agent receiver Antwaan Randle El, safety Adam Archuleta, linebacker Andre Carter, tight end Christian Fauria and backup quarterback Todd Collins in the first three days of the free-agent period, the Redskins quickly showed why Snyder was so happy to get a collective bargaining extension.

Archuleta, a better-than-average player with a bad back, became the richest safety in NFL history with $10 million in guaranteed money.

A little more than a week ago, the Redskins were so far over the projected salary cap number of $94.5 million that there was speculation they would have to trade all their draft choices because they wouldn't have any room to sign them. They would have to purge their roster of veterans and go with a whole bunch of free-agent rookies at minimum salaries. There was even speculation that the Redskins wouldn't be able to get under the salary cap at all and might pay whatever fine the NFL would impose for non-compliance. After all, they obviously can afford the money.

It is also obvious that the extra $7.5 million of cap space per team gained under the new CBA isn't enough on its face to cover the Redskins' spending spree. That's where the Redskins have become loophole leaders. The Washington Times described the spate of signings as "strange economics."

The Washington Post reported that the team is converting roster bonuses due current players into signing bonuses, which allows the team to pro-rate money against the salary cap over the life of the contract.

"We haven't done one thing that anybody else can't do," coach Joe Gibbs said.

Source: NBC Sports

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Win the offseason, lose in the regular season and playoffs.

Sounds about right [​IMG]

Seriously, I really like and respect Joe Gibbs, and I hope he does well.

But haven't the Redskins tried this plan before and it busted? But maybe it will work this time. Seems to me they are drastically overpaying for average players and will end up hurting themselves in the long run.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

They tried many things and failed during the 12 years that Snyder tried to run the team before bringing Joe Gibbs back. Now that Gibbs is calling the shot, Snyder can just spend the money and see the success!

The fans were ready to kick Snyder out of Washington after his 12 year attempt at fantasy football with the team, doing stupid stuff like Spurier, Dieon, etc. Bringing back Gibbs was the only thing he could do to save himself and the team in the fans eyes, he did it and now everyone is happy again.

It looks like Gibbs is getting a great team together for another chance at the playoffs in 2006. I predict Gibbs will have at least one more Superbowl ring before he retires in three years.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Well as I said I really respect Joe Gibbs, and would not mind to see him win another superbowl. But I think there are still some major holes on this team.

I think they way overpaid for average players. Randle-El is probably the best of the group, but isn't he pretty much the same type of receiver that you already have in Santana Moss? Archuleta has been a solid player at times, but has struggled with injuries and has not done much the last 2 years.

IMO, I think the Redskins would have been better off pursuing Drew Brees to be their QB. Brunnell is getting old and I just do not see him staying healthy for an entire season. Todd Collins as the back-up is not a good option either. He has not hardly gotten in a game in several years. I also think they would have been better off pursing a CB to help out in the secondary instead of a safety. And I don't think Carter is going to be much help in replacing Arrington. They would have been better served going after a Willie McGinist.

Throwing money around to a few Free Agents is not the way to be successful.

But again, I wish them well.

5. hamricba

hamricba New Member

As a Skins fan, I am baffled by some of these moves.

Was Randle-El needed? Absolutely, but he may not be enough.

Why did they get Fauria? Isn't Cooley one of the premier TEs in the game?

Todd Collins? Hello... what's the point? It means Ramsey is definitely out, but Jason Campbell will be your #2 this year.

6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Todd Collins was brought over because he worked with Al Saunders for the last 4+ years with the Cheifs, he will be able to help the team learn Saunders offense. I too have questions about Brunnell, I wish Ramsey wouldn't have had the bad luck of starting with Spurier as the coach, maybe he would have had a chance. I still think he has the potiential to be one of the best NFL QB's if he gets on a team that will help him make that happen. He just didn't get the chance he needed with Spurier and has been on the bench for the most part since then.

I think Randle-El will be a great addition to the team, this will only help Moss do better. They still may re-sign Cooley, we will have ot wait and see.