1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Once Every Four Years

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Rippon, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's about how often I sing in front of others at church . I have never done a solo . Yesterday I sang in a quintet with my pastor and three of his sons . We did the same hymn about four years ago . It stirs me every time . It's called " Not What These Hands Have Done " by Horatius Bonar ( 1808-1889 ) .

Some of the words in prose form : Not what these hands have done can save this guilty soul . Not what this toiling flesh has borne can make this spirit whole . Not what I feel or do can give me peace with God . Not all my prayers and sighs and tears can bear my awful load .
    Thy work alone , O Christ can ease this weight of sin . Thy blood alone O Lamb of God can give me peace within . Thy love to me , O God , not mine , O Lord to Thee , can rid me of this dark unrest and set my spirit free .
    I praise the God of grace . I trust His truth and might . He calls me His I call Him mine . My God , my joy , my light ! Tis He that saveth me , and freely pardon gives . I love because He loveth me . I live because He lives .

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Shouldn't this be in the music forum, or at least the fellowship forums? Why is it here in the debate forum??

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Solidly Biblical

And THAT was a blessing to me....it is also why I love the old hymns of the faith. Thank you for sharing that brother...It is far and few between that we see songs that are written with that kind of Biblical truth and depth in this day and age. Also...I know what you mean about singing in front of others....I try to bless those around me by "blending in" quietly....lol

Blessings,
    Greg Perry Sr.:godisgood:

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Marcia????

Why???

Is it because you don't like the way Rippon sings in this open forum??? Do you think he needs a "more private" place like the Music forum to practice and rehearse??? Or does he even NEED to practice and rehearse????!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not familiar with that song, Rippon. But glad you were bold enough to share the gospel through a song.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The title of this forum is Music Ministry. I don't understand why talking about singing a solo is the wrong subject for here.

I've been a soloist since I was a teen, and I'm 60 now. I have a solo part in the song our choir is doing this coming Sunday. I just don't remember the name of the song since it was new to me.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

My singing

Whenever I sing, not always in church either, people like it when I sing solo. Solo they can't hear me!! People have also told me to sing in parts, and leave their part out!!:laugh:

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I really admire anyone who can get in front of a congregation and sing. The thought scares me to death. My voice is so bad I feel self conscience singing hymns sometimes.