1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Once lost (again) always lost: Hebrews 6

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by canadyjd, Jul 26, 2019.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thread has stated that the belief a Christain cannot lose their salvation is a lie from S*tan.

I have yet to find someone who believes a Christain can lose their salvation agree with Hebrews 6, which states if a believer falls away it is impossible to renew them to repentance. Essentially, if you are lost again, you are always lost.

Personally, I believe Hebrews 6 is explaining why a believer cannot lose their salvation, because they would have crucify Christ again in order to again receive salvation.

If you believe a Christain can lose their salvation do you agree with Hebrews 6 that such a person could not regain their salvation?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a much more controversial passage re: losing salvation
    than many others in the NT.

However, this passage refers to ...
    people who reject God's light after having seen it.

Such people no longer have a mind to repent.
    Those who reject the salvation offered by Christ
    will find salvation nowhere else.

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe that is the language that is used. It isn't talking about seeing Gods light and rejecting it. It speaks of tasting (experiencing) Holy Spirit and then "falling away".

It doesn't say they don't have a mind to repent, it says it is impossible to bring them to repentance because they would have to crucify Christ again. Clearly referring to someone who had accepted Christ and had fallen away.

Will you accept the clear teaching of this passage that if a person loses their salvation they can never receive salvation again?

Once lost (again) always lost.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First - Hebrews 6 IMO is speaking of the nation of Israel.
    Second - everyone ignores "if God permits".

It is impossible to bring Israel back to the place of repentance and usefulness until God lifts the Vail when and if He allows it.
    it hearkens back to Acts 1.

Acts 1
    6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
    7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

5. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, I will accept is as one of several possible interpretations.
    Because I do not have a clear revelation about it.

6. Jeremiah 6:16

Jeremiah 6:16 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. Eph. 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
    You can't lose your salvation. Hebrews is saying it would put God to an open shame to renew someone unto repentance again because the whole point is that Christ's sacrifice and blood takes away all your sins. If you came under repentance again for salvation it defeats the purpose of Jesus Christ. It's the seed planted inside you that will never sin again, the "inward man" as Paul talks about in Romans. Paul even goes on to say that in his flesh there is no good. Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me: but how to perform that which is good I find not. Your flesh will continue to sin, but the inward man, "your soul" will not. Remember, if you are finding one scripture that sounds contradicting, find out what other scripture says, the Bible does not contradict itself. God is the same today as he was from the beginning. That even means salvation.

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that it is speaking of national Israel. The context simply doesn't support that idea.

The author is answering a hypothetical question concerning someone that accepted Christ (tasted the Spirit) and then had fallen away.

I also find it interesting that this teaching on eternal security is considered to be for mature Christians.

Peace to you

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I agree. Hebrews 6 is explaining why a Christian cannot lose their salvation.

My question is mainly for those that hold you can lose salvation. I have yet to meet the person who believes you can lose your salvation to agree with Hebrews 6 that if you lose it, you can never get it back.

Peace to you.

9. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As per the previous verse, John 10:27 ...
    Do you hear Jesus' voice?
    Does He know you (W. E. Vine says "knew" in Matthew 7:23 means "approved of")
    Do you follow Jesus?
    (Do you know what's involved in following Jesus? For one thing, it involves obedience.)

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Samuels, with respect brother. You proclaimed in very certain terms that those of us who believe it is not possible to lose salvation have been decieved by S*tan, believing his lies.

You now say you don't have a clear revelation about it.

We should all, imo, work out these issues in fear and trembling, careful to remain humble and not provocative.

Peace to you

11. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry, but I'm confused on this issue, and on your posts as well.
    To be truthful, I'm much more interested in how dozens of other NT verses
    CONFIRM each other than getting sure revelation on this one passage.
    I realize you're hung up on it, but I'm not.
    Another tough one for you is 2 Peter 2:20-22.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry you are confused. This passage is very important for a couple of reasons.

1. The passage specifically addresses the issue of eternal security. The author is answering a hypothetical question on the issue.

2. The passage identifies eternal security as a teaching for mature believers, beyond the basic teachings of salvation.

If you want to pick a verse that you believe shows you can lose salvation, and harmonize it with Hebrews 6, you will have no choice but to come to the conclusion that if you lose salvation, you can never get it back.

Peace to you

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with your disagreement.

14. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, Hebrews 6 is not about the nation of Israel.

Hebrews 6:1-3 Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do, if God permits. (emphasis mine)

The author of Hebrews is writing to a believing audience. He is including himself in that audience ("let us" and "we will"). He is certainly writing about Jewish practices but he is not addressing Israel.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes he is:
    "let us" he includes them because
    Hebrews 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

16. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have, as well.

I've never interacted with someone who believed loss of salvation, and actually recognized Hebrews 6:4-6.
    As do I.
    To me, it's describing a "hypothetical situation", and its shameful consequences...the necessity of crucifying the Lord all over again.