1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Once Saved - Always Avoiding being Lost

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, May 31, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I disagree. Thomas Helwys has made a feeble attempt.

Nonetheless Jesus' words trump theirs -- He will lose none.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just checked both threads once again and no one has responded. Thomas Helwy made no posts on either thread. Check it yourself if you doubt.

1. John 6:36-40 thread
    2. John 6:38-39 thread

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very well expounded :thumbsup:

What you presented here is solid, I don't see how it can be refuted, I don't expect it to be refuted. It makes me wonder, do Christians come here to learn the truth, to test the doctrines we embrace? Or are some here just to argue for the sake of arguing? I'm not saying the insecurity camp needs to just fold and convert to the security camp, but when a particular passage is proven to NOT support forfeiting salvation in any way shape or form, why not cross it off the ammunition list and move on to the next one? Will they even study the exposition you presented and consider it? Or will they just wait til the next thread and slap it on the board once again as proof one can forfeit their salvation? Come on Christians! Don't we want the Truth? :BangHead: STUDY to show thyself approved!!!!!!!!!! ...for Paul's sake :tongue3:

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Here is the problem! Jesus identified the problem when he said, "he that hath ears to hear let him ear" - obviously one must have ears to hear or they can't hear no matter how clear you spell something out.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I notice you post this in response to Matt 18 - where you completely avoid the teaching of Christ altogether. OSAS does NOT survive Matt 18.

It also does not survive Romans 11.

Romans 11

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.”

(Paul is speaking to the individual - and no credible Christian source today claims that ALL gentiles are saved and that ALL Jews are lost... the point remains. Hint - many gentiles are atheists and pagans)

20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
    21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.
    22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again

Paul admits that HE is one of the saved Jews - as are the Apostles.

OSAS does not survive Romans 11.

in Christ,

Bob

6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Thanks, Bob.

And since OSAS was not invented until Calvin, it does not survive the test of scripture or the early church or 1500 years of church history.

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

John Christian is in no position to discredit anyone, as his theories are wild fantasies based on nothing factual. He is a fringe nutcase, and Landmarkism is a fringe nutcase theology.

My history comes from scholarly, credible Baptist historians.

I am not opposed to the idea that churches with baptistic doctrine have existed from the beginning, but Landmarkism has absolutely zero historical factual basis. It is a ridiculously false system.

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Yes, of course I know what Landmarkism is. And it is a discredited position with no historical factual basis. I shouldn't even be having a discussion with a Landmarkist as it is an extremist, lunatic fringe movement having no more factual basis than Roman Catholicism.

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And yet you conveniently left out the part where Jesus says "that of all He (God) has given me I lose nothing..." And those God gives Jesus are the ones who stay loyal and keep believing to the end.

I wonder who is correct: God and Christ, or you, Calvin, and your deterministic, fatalistic cohorts.

10. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Take note that I have responded several times. Are you into selective reading, or just selective lying?

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

What do you mean "his theories"? Have you read his history? John T. Christian did more historical research into original documents than any other historian previous to his day.

Later Baptist historians adopted the Whitsit theory which is historically rediculous and inaccurate.

In seminary I studied both TYPES of Baptist history. I studied your kind of Baptist historians whose pro-catholic and universal bias dominated their selective sources and research. Please do not respond that your kind of Baptist historians did not operate from certain presuppositions as that is simply a lie.

I have done countless hours of personal research into the Bodleian Library in regard to English Baptist history or more properly English "Anabaptist" history as they were called "Anabaptists" up to 1660 by their opponents.

Neither the separtist or reformation origin theories are valid but that is the wild imagination originating from pedobaptist sources embraced by Baptists who simply did not do their research properly because of certain presuppositional biases.

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

All false doctrine is built upon improper exegesis, ignoring context or parables. The same is true of Matthew 18:

Matt 18

27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
    28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
    29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
    30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
    31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
    32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
    33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
    34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
    35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

The master did the same thing to this evil servant as the evil servant did to his debtors. The evil servant cannot cast anyone into hell and so the the casting into prison "till" all he owed is paid does not and cannot represent eternal hell but only temporal misery and exacting.

Second, this servant was delivered to tormentors "TILL" his debt was paid in fulll ias was the servant of the evil servant and that never happens in hell. Hell is "eternal" and expressed in UNENDING terminology ("day and night forever and forever" etc.) - [O that is right you belong to a cult that does not believe in the Biblical kind of hell where suffering is eternal, so your cultish kind of hell is a place where debts can be paid in full].

Third, It is the Heavenly Father that is said to be the One that delivers people to this kind of punishment and yet the Heavenly Father is not in charge of eternal punishment but has given all power to the Son in regard to eternal punishment and so it is not eternal punishment in view but temporal punishment just as it must be temporal punishment administered by the evil servant to those who owed him.

Fourth, this is not a parable given to teach about salvation and eternal events.

Fifth, this servant is called "evil" and characterized as "evil" from the time his debt was forgiven till he was cast in prison. Saved people are called "righteous" "saints" "saved" etc.

Finally, the point of this parable is not about being saved and lost again but about reaping exactly what we sow here and now. He sent his servant to prison and so the Master sends this evil servant to prison. We can't send people to hell for the debts they owe us but we can make their life here and now miserable and exacting and God can make us equally miserable and exacting here and now.

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I'll put my education up against yours anytime. Christian is discredited, and so is Landmarkism. It is the minority position of a bunch of fanatics. It has zero factual basis, just like the Romanist doctrines of their being the one true church and Peter as the first pope.

And I'll tell you that I hate all forms of fanaticism, whether Roman Catholic, paedobaptist Protestant, or Baptist.

#33 Thomas Helwys, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You don't know my educational credentials and the Bible says it is a fool who attempts to answer a question before it is ever asked.

Second, look at your language of personal ridicule and attack and yet you have been complaining about being attacked by the very same way - that is pure hypocritical. Ridicule without substance is the calling card of Satan and his servants and you offer no substance to back your claims only ridicule, the very thing you have cried foul in regard to others.

Third, you apparently have a deficient education or a degree from a deficient educational facility as you are echoing the language of those who have studied under tutors with the very biases I referred to.

15. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Whoever they are exactly ... they are correct on their opinion here.
    Because this is exactly what the NT teaches through
    its' many WARNINGS and THREATS to the churches.

16. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

I would say that NO denomination has all the truth!

The RCC is super strong on the Trinity, and it is against abortion and OSAS.
    Vich is much more that most Protestant denoms ...
    so, I'm not quite against the RCC/EOC as I once was.

Just as NO prophet today has all the truth.
    Jesus told one of them that each has a slice of the pie,
    and they need to get together and put the pie together!
    Notice that this unity is greatly emphasized in 1 Cor 12.

Yes, if all of the parts of true Christianity got together, a stronger Truth would result.
    However, "the god of this world" wouldn't allow that to happen.
    He's been successful for 2000 years now ... and counting.
    His next Master Stroke ... the antichrist.

#36 evangelist-7, Jun 3, 2013
  17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are all in the same basket teaching "another gospel" - Gal. 1:8-9 so other differences are minor in comparison to that flawed position. The gospel is about what Christ did for sinners not about what sinners do for Christ. Pretty simple, but too difficult for such denominations to grasp. It is a difference of cause and consequences. The position of these false denominations is that they theologically take what belongs to consequences and make it causual. That is the bottom line difference between the gospel of Christ and "another gospel."

18. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Yes, but who are these?
    IMO, these are the elect of Romans 8:28-30.

When Jesus says "of all He (God) has given me I lose nothing..."
    He does NOT say that these "all" are ALL of the born-again ones!

2 groups of BACs: elect BACs, and the others who don't make it.

#38 evangelist-7, Jun 3, 2013
  19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Read the context. He is contrasting unbelievers in John 6:36 with true believers in John 6:37-40. Are you saying that true beleivers are not born again Christians???? furthermore , All that are given by the Father to Christ come to Christ, and "of them" all "I SHALL LOSE NOTHING."

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

So, now you call me a fool. You know what the Bible says about that.

Whatever I have said, I said in response to you. You started it, you initiated it. I did not. But I'll only take so much.

And since you don't know MY educational credentials, your first paragraph applies to you, doesn't it?

[personal attack edited]

#40 Thomas Helwys, Jun 3, 2013