1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

once saved always saved for baptists

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Tazman, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Tazman

Tazman New Member

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
    --The reason a person must be born again (saved) is because he needs to be born into God's family. He is not born into God's family automatically at birth. Nicodemus, a grown man, had to make an active decision to be a part of God's family. Before that he was part of the devil's family (John 8:44), by virtue of his sin nature.

Paul describes the unsaved person in Eph.2,2,3, as, "children of disobedience," and "children of wrath." John in John 1 says:

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

You must receive Christ--believe on his name. Then you will become a child of God. Verse 13 goes on to say that by believing we are born of God. Receiving Christ as my Saviour, I am born into the family of God--I am born again.

If I am born into God's family, God is my Father and He will never disown me. He has given me the gift of eternal life.
    "The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Chrtist our Lord." (Rom.6:23)
    When God gives eternal life, then that is what it means--eternal. If eternal could stop at any time it would no longer be eternal and God would be found to be a liar. The gift of God is eternal life, not temporary, but eternal. You cannot lose eternal life. That is an impossibility.

Furthermore, consider what Jesus Himself says:
    John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    30 I and my Father are one.

Once saved Jesus calls us His sheep. He says of His sheep that: 1. they hear his voice.
    2. He knows who they are.
    3. They follow Him.
    4. He gives unto them eternal life
    5. They shall never perish
    6. No man shall pluck them out of His hand.
    7. His Father gave them to Him.
    8. No man shall be able to pluch them out of the Father's hand!

With the above guarantees in place how can one say that they would lose their salvation. We are His sheep. He knows who we are. We shall never perish. Never means never. Words do have meanings here. Never perish--never lose their salvation. Never be plucked out of the Father's hand.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
    --The result of believing on Jesus:
    1. everlasting life.
    2. shall not come into condemnation.
    3. is passed from death unto life.
    --The verbs has and is are present, meaning we have everlasting life, we are passed from death unto life right now--at the moment we receive Christ. We are made spiritually alive, and given eternal life.

At the point of salvation one becomes a new creature in Christ:
    2Cor.5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
    --Old things are passed away and all things are become new. This is not to say that a person will never want to sin again; that just is not true. Temptation will always be there. What it does mean is that the Holy Spirit comes and resides within and begins to change a person from within. He becomes a new creature in Christ. Christ changes us from the inside.

Rom.8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    --There is no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus--none.

what happens when a believer sins? Do they lose their salvation? No. There is no condemnation. Their sin has been paid for by the blood of Christ. He has already atoned for all of our sins: the past, the present, and the future. Thus when I sin, my fellowship with God is broken, but my salvation is not lost. That is why John wrote:

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    --This verse is written to Christians, not the unsaved. It is written so that we can confess our sin and restore our fellowship with God on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with losing one's salvation.

Does OSAS give a licence to to sin? No. absolutely not. Here is what Paul said.
    Rom.6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
    --Salvation is not a licence to sin. Paul makes that clear in these verses.
    There is much more on OSAS. I hope that this is enough to be of some help to you.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]Go back and read all the scriptures and notice the conditions in them.

Like "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

"Who WALK not after the FLESH..."
    So is it acceptable to walk in the flesh after being saved?
    So let me understand, God is that father that want to punished the neighborhood kids for doing the sins that HIS kids are doing because it wrong for them but not for the sheep.

Read any scripture there is always a condition!
    "If he remains in me and my words remain in Him..." finish the rest.
    Don't Just preach the encouraging things about God Judgenment without His warning and terms of Peace.
    HIS TERMS NOT YOUR.
    John 10: Man can snatch a FAITHFUL FOLLOWER OF JESUS, but this scripture does not address the Sheep that STOPS FOLLOWING. Apply to whome it applies which you would see, it not anyone who chooses to believe. [​IMG]

2. Me2

Me2 New Member

Tazman,

its my understanding that seperates a lot,

the parable mentioned is referring to the marriage supper of the lamb.

the supper that we are participating now by faith in christ. he is the meal..or the bread served in the Kingdom. and we partake of him by faith.

the three followers had personal priorities that outweighed their attention to attending or giving attendance to the supper.

as opposed to the new guests that were later invited and attended.

my explanations are the first three represented guests were drawn away by the spirit of the flesh and the second set of guests attended the supper in the spirit of christ by humbling themselves to the desires of the host.

as believers within the family of God. some follow the spirit of the flesh in rebellion against following God and are expressing enmity towards the spirit of Christ. both HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ATTEND THE SUPPER. only those who are following the desires of their flesh refuse the invitation.

the two groups are mentioned in many ways throughout the NT.
    a couple of other names are..
    vessels of wrath/mercy or
    children of obedience/disobedience

which tell the same tale by paul. one group obedient and the other group disobedient. both have parameters in which they operate within. yet both have the yearning and desire to know God. they just choose to do it differently. one way is accepted by God while the other not accepted by God..

just like the brothers cain and Abel which were within the same family also.
    only one had a desire of serving the desires of the flesh, and the other His God. thats Us.

now the differencxe of followers. they have the spirit of God within them. they understand Christ as their high priest. if you were to examine the scriptures you would find that there are 4 discribed levels of understanding. baby,child,young man and father. each level having a distinct appearance of character,knowledge of God and level of Faith. followers (or children) do not proceed past the baby or child stage. they can only perceive and understand Jesus as their Christ. some do not accept that Jesus spirit is within them nor do they comprehend that Jesus has defeated death. nor understand that the father has also risen their spirit from death in christ.

disciples are those who continue on past the child stages and enter into the young man stage. an easy earmark of distinguishing this is that they can spiritually and physically express that Jesus is their Lord and Savior. unlike the follower (child) who cannot proceed into this level of understanding or expression. these understand that Jesus has defeated death and has proven his Lordship.
    these also accept the sovereignty of the Father.

but theres even more to learn past this...
    the father stage.

so you see that theres a large degree of seperation between the child stage and the young man stage.

one group is learning to understand living by faith. the child
    the other group has experienced and proven to themselves of their capabilities of Doing it.
    the young man stage.

Me2

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 18
    12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
    13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
    14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

4. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Matthew 18
    12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
    13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
    14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.
    </font>[/QUOTE]This is a good scripture that speaks about God coming to get even one of us after WE LEFT HIM, but notice even in context (v13 And IF so be that he find it.....)

IF is a BIG word, is it not?
    I think its safe to say that God has no problem finding us physically. I don't think thats an issue (Jonah), but what if when He speaks to us Spiritually (through the HOLY SPIRIT) but we reject him plainly, where does that leave this "Sheep"? What scripture address rejection of God by a Saved Disciple?

Now notice that you had to share a different passage to support your doctrine.

So even you agree that in order to have a COMPLETE view and truth of what God wants take more than one scripture. This is the fact. You can't take one scripture over another without going to the specific scripture that address the actual situation. Keep it in context ask the right question, find the truth, seek HIM.

5. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Me2,

Answer my question:

Are Disciples and Christians the same according to the bible? Read Acts 11:26

Yes/No. It's that easy [​IMG]

Does Jesus require more than "Belief" for those who want to be disciple? Read John 8:31-32,

Yes/No. It's that simple [​IMG]

Read the following:

Luke 14:25-35

Jesus said "IF (big word) ANYONE (important Word) comes to Me and does not ....."

Question: Does Jesus have a standard of living for ANYONE who comes to him? Yes/No

Notice that anyone who comes to him is will become His disciple IF they obey his standards.
    True or Not?

Lets keep it simple here. Jesus is looking for faith and for anyone to comply with HIS terms (don't make your own) will be His disciple.

Please just simply answer the questions above.

6. Me2

Me2 New Member

Tazman,

first question..
    disciple or christian. the new followers have entered into a process of learning. they are spiritual babies. christians if they contain the spirit within them. OSAS.
    disciples. no.not yet, potential, but not until their faith has to be tried. many will fall away.

remember your parable of the dinner invitation. some will refuse to follow after their flesh.

Luk 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

second question

more than belief. initially It is God who departs the spirit within us. we enter into a learning process called sanctification. We are being chosen as vessels to perform good works towards God.
    which require higher levels of understanding and Faith than spiritual babies and spiritual children.
    yes, we keep his word after our faith is tried. there are also persecutions that must be endured to become a desciple.

Mat 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
    Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

or

2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

what persecution. trials of believing that Jesus is love and forgiveness and mercy towards mankind.
    will you forgive?
    thats the reason for persecution..
    to try your faith

simple belief will eventually be tried. bet on it.

third question

people that come to him will not all be disciples.
    the parable that you cited referrs to COMPLETE SURRENDER TO EVERYTHING IN LIFE. many cannot let Go of the crutches of life that they can depend on to "save" them and depend only on the faith required to become disciples of Jesus.
    His standards are all his way which is complete surrender. and no control of your own past ways of choosing. the remainder of the parable cited referrs to the foreknowledge and planning of God to remind the reader
    that God is in complete and sovereign control.
    and surrendering completely to him is ok.

becoming a disciple is a process which many will fail. does that bother you.

as if we have a choice of the followers succeeding towards being disciples. each of us is reponsible for the descisions we make and live with.

many will become reprobates and pew sittin spiritual children and babies in christ. but thats their reponsibility and choice. Right?

Me2

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "What scripture address rejection of God by a Saved Disciple?"

Peter’s denial of Christ

HankD

8. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Tazman,

RE: your post of August 01, 2003 05:28 PM

No, Taz, I am not saying that at all! What I am saying is that if one does not believe one will not do! We do what we believe in. When we do that which we do not believe in there is no value gained. If one does not believe in Jesus, or have faith in God, one will not do Godly works, but will instead do those works that are in accordance with his own beliefs. Such works do not produce faith results, that is, faith in God.

Peter would not have cast the net that final time if he did not believe the one who told him to do so! Neither would you!

Works without faith produce no faith results!

Naaman believed in the Prophet's authority, or he would not have gone to the prophet in the first place! The method of Healing is not what Naaman expected to receive from the Prophet, thus the reluctance on Naaman's part to do what was required of him by the prophet.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You take the Scripture out of its context. Look again:

8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
    --If you walk after the flesh, Paul says:
    1. You are carnally minded and in a state of death, i.e., unsaved!
    2. The carnal mind is enmity (the enemy) of God.
    3. They that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    4. He is writing to Christians, and thus says, you are not in the flesh. Go to the beginning of this book in chapter one and see who it is addressed to: "the saints."
    5. If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. Do you have the Spirit of Christ? If so, there is no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. Period! No conditions attached.

Where do you get that from. The greatest sin and/or insult to God is to reject His Son who came from the glories of Heaven and laid down His life to die for the penalty of the sins that you could never pay for. You reject that sacrifice, spit in God's face, and tell Him I don't want your gifts and mercy, whose fault is it? God's ???
    God doesn't punish the sheep; only the goats.

You finish your own verse. Is it speaking of salvation? No. Salvation is unconditional. It never comes with any conditions attached. That is where you are wrong. Ye do err not knowing the Scriptures neither the power of God.

If none of the sheep of Jesus shall never perish, and no one will ever pluck them out of the Father's hand, it is obvious that they will never stop following isn't it. In fact it says that: "My sheep hear my voice and they FOLLOW me. Now, if you are only pretending to follow Jesus, are you one of His sheep? There are plenty of wolves in sheep's clothing around. The Lord made a statement HIS sheep; I am not about to call him a liar.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.
    --What condition is attached? None. Simply believe, and you will be saved. There are no conditions attached to salvation.
    DHK

10. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Peter’s denial of Christ

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]So you agree that someone saved can Reject Christ! [​IMG]
    Peter was re-instated by Jesus tho. ;)

11. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Me2, WHY is it soooooooooooooo hard to answer the question "Yes or NO"? :confused:

As recorded in THE BIBLE, okay, THE BIBLE, not your extrapolation of definitions and terms, specifically from scriptures. ;)

Acts 11:26 Does it not say that Disciples were called Christians first at Antioch?
    You can only get the definition from the source that uses it!

Did GOD call his Disciples "CHRISTIANS" or as recorded in scripture, did the "WORLD" call Gods Disciples Christian?

Its hard to talk to you if you give YOUR own definition of things and don't answer some any questions DIRECTLY :(

This is sad

Its like you read it, but you ignor it because of your own understanding.
    You redefine thing to "Stages" because of your experience with a lack of commitment and therefore must "justify" your own short commings of meeting Christ on His terms.
    You delute the word of God for you lack of commitment.
    The fact is God gave us all the same cup to drink from and the same level of commitment. Nothing like what your talking about.

Just answer the question directly [​IMG]

12. Me2

Me2 New Member

Tazman,

God gives opportunity.

to choose to be chidlike in our understanding or face reality like an adult we think we are.

if you disagree with my opinions. then say so and give a response to the reasons why. or give your interpretation concerning the scriptures in question.

the previous questions that you posted required a more complex answer than a simple yes or no as you requested.

and stages or level of understanding are applicable here. its a progressive movement through the process of sanctification.
    one scripture that gives reference to three of the four stages is in 1 John 2:12-14
    child,young man, and father.

Me2

13. Tazman

Tazman New Member

God gives opportunity.

to choose to be chidlike in our understanding or face reality like an adult we think we are.

if you disagree with my opinions. then say so and give a response to the reasons why. or give your interpretation concerning the scriptures in question.

the previous questions that you posted required a more complex answer than a simple yes or no as you requested.

and stages or level of understanding are applicable here. its a progressive movement through the process of sanctification.
    one scripture that gives reference to three of the four stages is in 1 John 2:12-14
    child,young man, and father.

Me2
    </font>[/QUOTE]We all start off with the same level of commitment to Christ to be His disciple which is a follower, believer, Christian (biblically). You never addressed the Scripture in ACTS 11:26 why? This is the Third or Fourth time I repeated it :confused:

Secondly you reference to 1 John 2:12-14

1 John 2:12 "I write to you, dear children,
    because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name."

So have only children been forgive? Or is John speaking to the believers as his spiritual children. Most likely is was Spiritually older.

v13 "I write to you, fathers,
    because you have known him who is from the beginning."

So does this mean that only FATHERS know the Jesus that has been since the Beginning?

I write to you, young men,
    because you have overcome the evil one.

So has only the "Young men" overcome the evil one.

I write to you, dear children,
    because you have known the Father.

Okay now the Children KNOW the Father ALSO. WOW!

14I write to you, fathers,
    because you have known him who is from the beginning.
    I write to you, young men,
    because you are strong,
    and the word of God lives in you,
    and you have overcome the evil one.

C'mon, we know that some people were more spiritual than others, its called Talents. This has more to do with those who use them to multiply for God.
    It does not mean that GOD has different expectations for each person to choose to commit to. [​IMG]

You getting no where fast.

If you break down the above scripture like your using it, then its a contradiction of terms.

Answer my question!

14. Me2

Me2 New Member

Tazman,

First a response to you Acts 11:26 ..The addition and focus on the title referenced to Jesus as Lord denotes that some of the participants were at a level to comprehend the meaning of the title.
    That would be those who fall under the discription of disciples. Christians could be in my opinion any one having the spirit of Christ within them…even if they do not recognize or affirm this truth. Certainly those who are spiritual babies and spiritual children are inexperienced in recognizing these truths of Jesus being Lord..

Secondly , concerning 1 John . Ive studied these verses and their meanings 25 years ago as they do have deep and important content concerning the lives of everyday christians. We recognize our walk with God is a gradual and constantly increase of knowledge and understanding of who we are and who God is. AS new believers we havent the understanding through faith to grasp the concepts of God. They are to be proven. And upon acceptance of foundational truths. The christian moves forward with more complex content.

Although we find a large difference between the child stage and young man stage as not only wisdom and instruction is tried but our faith concerning WHO GOD IS..

It is here we find the refusal of accepting the nature of God that disallows the child not to continue towards the next stage. This is the time of persecution and trials against the childs faith. Is the child continuing his walk by expressing love towards his brothers and sisters by forgiving their trespasses against the believer..

MANY FAIL THIS TRIAL. And remain carnal children until tried again. And this depends on the childs desire to continually be tried or that the Holy Spirit stops the persecutions and the child returns to being controlled by the desires of their flesh. Or past lifestyle.

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, [even] as unto babes in Christ.
    1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able [to bear it], neither yet now are ye able.
    1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Sanctification and the importance of successfully passing this stage between child and young man is Greatly misunderstood Today

Oops,..did I mention that this is the point that you can now describe the christian as disciple. (from child to young man stage) after completing this important jucture in their spiritual walk with God. They now are witnessed as saying from their Spirit
    “Jesus is Lord”….Believers in the child stage cant declare this truth. That Jesus is their Lord. I notice that you post many scriptures concerning the title of Jesus as Lord to being accepted by unbelievers.. that is incorrect. Unbelievers cant comprehend that Jesus is lord. They just Cant. That Knowledge to the believer has to be taught first to their spirit…and also must be tried by trials and persecution..

the scripture references to believing Jesus as Lord and that the “believer” will be “saved” referrs to spiritual children advancing to the next stage…the young man stage.

Heres another point of contention. All believers are taught of the Holy spirit. This requires no other input from any other source. He teaches us spiritual truth straight to our spirits..not through our carnal minds. We cant even hear or detect these conversations. The Holy spirit also provides the understanding towards this wisdom. Its spiritual “Hands on” experience. The two combined parts are what is called knowledge.
    Does our carnal brain know of this knowledge…..NO…yet we go scurrying within the pages of our bible to attempt to interpret what our spirits is declaring as truth. We attempt to find english words to describe to our brain what the spirit already understands….heres an inside truth…we cant interpret correctly what the bible means to our carnal brain unless we are taught the wisdom of the Holy Spirit first, Receive the understanding. and are tried of the Holy spirit and our spirit within us begins to desire to relay that knowledge to our carnal brain. Our spirit already knows the truth. Its our carnal brain that is going to recieve this knowledge for witnessing to others. To feed ourselves. And others.

most scriptures focusing on Jesus being The “Christ” is directed to Children. Notice 1 John1..no mention of Lord..just Christ. Their high priest.

here is an important note. Babes and Children DO NOT UNDERSTAND anything past Jesus being their Christ. NOTHING. for their understanding cannot comprehend the ideas and its larger complex issues.
    Children accept that God has raised Jesus from the dead. yet they DO NOT ACCEPT THAT THEY THEMSELVES HAVE BEEN RAISED FROM THE DEAD.
    what does children Focus on. Look at hebrews 6.

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
    Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

they learn the rudiments.. the doctrine of christ.
    they are taught wisdom that Christ is within them, that they themselves are dead to sin and that they have been raised from the dead...

YET THEY HAVE NOT BEEN TRIED. THEIR FAITH HAS YET TO BE PROVEN....they have 1/2 of their training up to this point. the other 1/2 is the understanding or the proving of the things that they have been taught of the Holy Spirit. Again this is where the bible speaks to great measures of those failing to successfully pass this jucture and accept these spiritual truths.

This is a process, Tazman, We are given the same opportunity of God, Yet some desire to please God while others live for themselves and do not desire to sacrifice everything to gain the things that God is inviting them to receive for Free.

Now 1 John is not to be taken litely for it contains a treasure chest of knowledge. It all depends on how valuable the believer thinks it is. Such as the young man stage. They have overcome.. doesn’t revelations say something about overcoming? And the father stage. What really does it mean to know God who is from the beginning.? Or what does it mean that the young man overcomes Satan? Many questions are answered from this chapter in 1 John.

Me2

15. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Me2,

Stop. This has gotten no where. [​IMG]

You're still focus on the wrong thing. I'm sorry that you studied this 25 years ago and only grown to understand the we must grow and be tested in Christ. There are more direct scriptures that say this, but hopefully in the last 25 years you've crossed them [​IMG]

This is the point, then we can move on. When called by Christ there are some specific terms and conditions and purpose that WE ALL share, that WE ALL MUST obey. Meaning no one who comes to him has an option to obey or not. We all must commit to it. The STANDARD FOR LIVING FOR HIM IS THE SAME COMMITMENT EVERYONE OBEYS THAT COME TO HIM. And we all grow from that point!
    True?

That's all I'm saying. It's become clear to me that there is NO real purpose to you prolonging this sidetrack of a thread if you can't be corrected with Sound, Solid scriptures. [​IMG]
    Something sooooo simple you re-fabricate to meet your needs, but undermind Gods' calling for "ALL or Nothing" commitment.

16. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Peter’s denial of Christ

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]So you agree that someone saved can Reject Christ! [​IMG]
    Peter was re-instated by Jesus tho. ;)
    </font>[/QUOTE]Peter did not reject the Christ, but merely denied that he knew Him out of the "need" for self preservation. Peter fulfilled Jesus prophesy that he would deny knowing or being with or being a follower of Christ. That is not the same as losing one's faith and rejecting what had been in favor of what one has become.

17. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Did Jesus not say in Matthew 26 that ALL his disciples will FALL AWAY on account of him??? :rolleyes:
    Remember, all of them at the supper said (your words are an oath to God) that they will not leave him?

Peter did LEAVE Christ and lost faith as did a number of other disciples. It was hard for them to believe until and after they saw him again Matthew 28:16-17 "Some doubted" Remember he met with his disciples.

18. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Did Jesus not say in Matthew 26 that ALL his disciples will FALL AWAY on account of him??? :rolleyes:
    Remember, all of them at the supper said (your words are an oath to God) that they will not leave him?

Peter did LEAVE Christ and lost faith as did a number of other disciples. It was hard for them to believe until and after they saw him again Matthew 28:16-17 "Some doubted" Remember he met with his disciples. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]No Tazman, you missed the point. Peter did not lose his professed faith in Jesus. He was acting on the principle of self-preservation, lest he too be tried by the religious leaders who had Jesus before their kangaroo court. This Self-preservation may well have been Jesus' way of protecting his disciples from the same fate that he was committed to. How else would the Church be born if not through Jesus Disciples?

Did the disciples all leave Jesus? Without doubt they, during the troubling days of Jesus' Passion, did back away from him. Did they lose their faith in Him? I don't think so, else they would not have huddled together for comfort and consolation. They would instead have split for safer territory.

Did they think they had Lost Jesus? No doubt, but the truth is they did not have time nor the reason to lose their faith in him. They were with him up to the time he was "captured" by Judas' Kiss, and then they scattered in "self-preservation" only to be "gathered again" by the shepherd 3 days later.

Now you try it for yourself. You lose faith in your wife in less than 24 hours. I dare you to be successful; not because you can, but because you can't! These disciples were with Jesus most of the time for over three years, and their relationship with Jesus was very strong. They could no more lose their faith in Him than you can in your wife. I've been there twice in my life and I can assure you it took several years each time for me to lose my faith in the other party, even though I was "victimized" both times by "good Christian women" and still it took a long time for me to lose faith in them.