1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS) and Eternal Security

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 29, 2016.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, I make a point to emphasize PRESERVATION of the saints in lieu of perseverance. God is faithful regardless of His children's unfaithfulness.

And that's GOOD NEWS to me, but there seems to be several on board here that take offense at it. Go figure.

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and 2 Timothy 2 especially verse 13 emphasized the point of how secure our preservation is in Christ Jesus... Brother Glen

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:

2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 6:9. 'Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? DO NOT BE DECEIVED.'

Why would Paul be warning the Corinthian Christians not to be deceived in this matter?
    Because they were being told that they could live like the devil and still get into heaven.

Galatians 5:21. 'Those who practise such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.'

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I do not see that suggestion here;
    2._____ This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father, upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ and union with him, the oath of God, the abiding of his Spirit, and the seed of God within them, and the nature of the covenant of grace; from all which ariseth also the certainty and infallibility thereof.
    ( Romans 8:30 Romans 9:11, 16; Romans 5:9, 10; John 14:19; Hebrews 6:17, 18; 1 John 3:9; Jeremiah 32:40 )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Sanctification is synergistic. Salvation monergistic.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We work, because God works in us enabling us to obey. Salvation from start to finish is of God......but we are the objects of God's saving work......so being saved from sin we are free to serve

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Yep. God gets the glory for it all.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. That is not the intent of Perseverance. It just elicits that response when I hear it. :)

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Paul speaking of their eternal destiny or the destiny of those friends and loved ones whom they were defending who may have made a profession of faith but their lifestyle belied their words? :)

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know what you mean....I have to sort of work through it each time in my mind.
    Wrong thinking here can lead to a bondage or striving in the flesh when instead we should be working out our salvation..

• Like Like x 1