1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Once Saved, Always Saved

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Not so. I have referenced several passages of scripture in several different places.

Can't you just let it go? I can say that I'd like to call you a friend, and that we can agree to disagree, like Icon and I have been able to do.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

After twenty years of shaving himself every morning, a man in a small Southern town decided he had enough. He told his wife that he intended to let the local barber shave him each day.

He put on his hat and coat and went to the barber shop, which was owned by the pastor of the town’s Baptist church. The barber’s wife, Grace, was working that day, so she performed the task. Grace shaved him and sprayed him with lilac water and said, “That will be $20.” The man thought the price was a bit high, but he paid the bill and went to work.

The next morning the man looked in the mirror and his face was as smooth as it had been when he left the barber shop the day before. “Not bad,” he thought, “at least I don’t need to get a shave every day.”

The next morning the man’s face was still smooth! Two weeks later the man was STILL unable to find any trace of whiskers on his face. It was more than he could take, so he returned to the barber shop. “I thought $20 was high for a shave,” he told the barber’s wife, “but you must have done a great job. It’s been two weeks and my whiskers still haven’t started growing back.” The expression on her face didn’t even change, expecting his comment.

She responded, “You were shaved by Grace. Once shaved, always shaved.”

Hezikiah 2:14-27

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Lord have mercy. With that, we have the definitive answer, so the thread can now be closed. :laugh:

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heb 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Psa 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
    Psa 37:24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
    1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

We belong to God. If we loose our way the Lord comes after us.
    MB

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Scripture supports the Security of the Believer [the Perseverance of the Saints]. God will keep eternally secure those for whom Jesus Christ died!

#85 OldRegular, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  6. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget that eternal life also includes "eternity" past.

The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying: "Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us.

7. OldRegular

Would you please identify the threads where you referenced Scripture to establish your view. I did a search and found mention of Hebrews chapter 6 but that was it.

http://www.baptistboard.com/search.php?searchid=1794726

8. OldRegular

Careful S/N. The comedy channel is looking for new talent!:sleep:

9. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

usually the arguement for those that dont believe inOSAS--they go to Hebrewa chap 6 for their proof text--there 3 views of this text by many peoples--but which one is correct??

The writer is talking to saints in this text for sure--chapter 3 he speaks to the HOLY BRETHREN(SAINTS) and he continues this all way through chapter 6 to same group of people--so its the Saints of God whos being talked too.

he says for those who were ONCE enlightned(one time for ALL times)and made partakers of holy spirit-for it would be impossible to renew them again unto repentence(if they fall away)

then he tells them that we are persuaded better things of them--things that accompany SALVATION

it is an impossible thing for a Saint of God to FALL away(totally and complete fall)and it does NOT accompany SALVATION AT ALL

The writer speaks of going on unto perfectionand not falling away and that they was going to do as God permitted them(Perseverence of Saints)

So this whole text is saying really that it is an IMPOSSIBLE thing for a SAINT of GOD to FALL away but rather for them to persevere onward

them that fall away are the ones who make false professions and still love this present world and just are going back to there real masterthat they have always had and enjoy the pleasures of this world.

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've had those verses shown to me many times by those who believe they can loose there Salvation. There problerm is that they do not read all the text they stop right there and make their false claims.
    What they fail to see in what they are reading is that the very first words are;
    Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened,
    I believe that when scripture says it's impossible it really is impossible.
    The rest of the scripture goes like this;
    Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
    Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
    Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God.

Then in Verse 6 there is that great big tiny little word. "IF" The problem is not the wording of this scripture but the understanding of it compared with the rest of scripture. Such as;
    Rom 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    Rom 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    If OSAS was good enough for Paul it's good enough for me.
    MB