1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ONE FOR THE RECORD, Trust me on this one!!!

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really have no words that adequately express my feelings right now (notice how I go on and try though :rolleyes:). I am shocked. But actually, I am shocked that I am schocked. This was California and this was the UMC's. Why should we be surprised?

But hey, it will make for a good sermon illustration.

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Is it possible that as elders and leaders in our local churches that if we were truly training people in the kind of things that those who attend a seminary learn, that such cases of extreme liberalism and apostacy would not be so rampant?

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the mindset of a Methodist leadership it probably is innovative and wise to follow such a path.

Sat for an hour listening to a Methodist man that was taking a Ph.D. at a Catholic seminary preparing for a ministry in serving Jews - in what way he had not figured out.

Methodist, Jew, Muslim all come from the same marshmallow so why not :smilewinkgrin:

Not sure how many Muslim students they will gain however :laugh:

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Disappointed, but not surprised.

Compare this view of scripture:
    http://www.elca.org/What-We-Believe/New-or-Returning-to-Church/Dig-Deeper/The-Bible.aspx

With this view of scripture:
    http://www.lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=563

In the first, they state plainly that the Bible is human book written about God; that the authors introduced bias and contradiction; that sometimes the Biblical writers missed what God was trying to say; and that now God might be saying something new, so it's our job to find out what God is saying today.

In the second, the bible is a divine book written by God to man; that it has no errors and has infallible truth.

When we give up the foundation for truth, it's like throwing away our compass. In the end, we lose our way. Apparently this seminary has lost its compass, and lost its way.

All this reminds me of years ago when I had a job in a hotel. We had rooms that people would come and rent to hold meetings. One day we had a group come in, have a meal together, sing songs together, and had an inspirational speaker. It was the Optimist Club. I've always wondered whether there is any difference in many churches with the Optimist Club.