1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One More Exact Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the dedication to King James in the 1611, Bishop Thomas Bilson (1546-1616) wrote: “That out of the original sacred tongues, together with comparing of the labours, both in our own and other foreign languages, of many worthy men who went before us, there should be one more exact translation of the holy Scriptures into the English tongue.”

Writing for all the translators in the preface to the 1611, Miles Smith noted: “If anything be halting, or superfluous, or no so agreeable to the original, the same may be corrected, and the truth set in place.” Miles Smith observed: “No cause therefore why the word translated should be denied to be the word, or forbidden to be current, notwithstanding that some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting forth of it. For whatever was perfect under the sun, where apostles or apostolike men, that is, men indured with an extraordinary measure of God’s Spirit, and privileged with the privilege of infallibility, had not their hand? The Romanists therefore in refusing to hear, and daring to burn the word translated, did no less then despite the Spirit of grace, from whom originally it proceeded, and whose sense and meaning, as well as man’s weakness would enable, it did express.”

According to the makers of the KJV, the KJV was "one more exact translation of the holy Scriptures" just as the 1560 Geneva Bible, the 1568 Bishops' Bible, or the 1539 Great Bible were. Evidently, they were asserting that they were "exact" translations and were the word of God in English even though "some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting forth."

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There can be no exact translation simply because there is no man with out sin and therefore less that perfect translations is all we will ever get in this life
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, there are many good ones!

• Like Like x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I generally stay with the KJV, NKJV, and NSAB (1971), I do occasionally read some others. I do so to see how someone else may view the passage in a contextual manner.

I take all 4 listed as the preserved Scriptures and have yet to find anything in them that is of more then expressions from dialects and accents. Southern folks have a rhythm and cadence that is certainly no like New Englanders.

I haven’t purchased a Bible from the time my son got me the IPad. :).

Though I rarely post in this forum, I do enjoy looking at the work you folks put into your posts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the logos program. Their app is excellent. (I'm actually a bit surprised because I was a hard core "real book" guy for years....but my library is still crated up and I'm giving many books to young preachers).

• Like Like x 1
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got the free one on the IPad. Works good enough for me. Also have Accordance and Bible Hub. Things sure changed when the PC came along in desktop version.

However, it all comes with a price. From God’s perspective, the more given the more expected, and from humankind it makes just anyone think they are skilled in the languages.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mine is also the free version. It was WordSearch but acquired by Logos. Over the years I have purchased Bible versions and commentaries.

I agree with your comment about languages. While I enjoy the language tools I would never pretend to be an expert.

I have studied Greek at the graduate level (a couple of years) which was just enough for personal study and to point out my deficiencies. Yet I see people who have no training all of a sudden "experts", standing firmly on meanings and tenses without the room for error mist linguists would allow. Language tools have certainly become a two edged sword. Probably more an ego boost than edifying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, including many Modern versions!

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greek grammar tools are now available to anyone who is interested. The Blue Letter Bible dot Org now offers an online version. Of course by no means makes anyone any kind of expert.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My very first computer, I loaded Word Search. Some where I may still have the floppy disk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1