1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One Nation Under God

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by billwald, Jan 21, 2012.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Very possibly because the vast majority of posters are American and the threads usually deal with American mottos or slogans?

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

If congress voted today-----and if the pres put his signature to it----to remove the words "under god"------'tis would make me no lesser a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ today than I was yesterday

But yet-----upon such removal---it would no doubt work many into a little girl's "tizzy"

:saint::saint:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Agreed. The the government's quasi acknowledgement of an unspecified deity has nothing to do with a true relationship with Jehovah God.

4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Possibly, although I notice that our friend to the north always chimes in on this subject.

#24 NiteShift, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  5. mandym

mandym New Member

You have no idea what your talking about.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Uh...we don't live there.

Hello!?!

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Why not? Ever take the time to actually study the things they believed?

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Thanks for the tip. Nevertheless, countries have historically asked for God's blessings in their mottos and symbolism. Ours are the only ones that come in for criticism. Remember that God showed favor to those nations and their leaders, even the heathen ones, who humbled themselves before him. Not everything is about individual salvation.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Examples please?

Okay, Nazi Germany was wrong to use 'God with us.' Hows that for criticism?

10. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Jonah was sent to Nineveh, an Assyrian city. The king proclaims fasting and repentance, God saw it and relented. Notice this is a heathen city, and God was concerned about their behavior. We are never told that everyone in the city received eternal life.

Fine except that German troops in Bavaria used the inscription on their belt buckles in WWI before there was any such thing as NAZI. My point is not that they are wrong to use, or that mottos save your soul. Point is that many countries have traditionally used such phrases calling for God's favor.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Fair enough on Ninevah. Their repentance though was a response to the proclamation of God's word, not a government approved slogan. Also, it was God giving them one more chance. 100 years later they were destoyed.

You are, of course, correct on the Nazi comment. Apologies for my lack of careful reading. The German government under 'the Hun' was also wrong to claim 'God with us' by state proclamation.

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well I don't read such statements as “God, Honor, Fatherland” (Poland) or "God’s Help, the People’s Love, Denmark’s Strength” or "One Nation Under God" as a claim so much as a hope or an ideal.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

A reasonable point. But is it really true in 2012 America or any other nation where for the most point the citizens curse, mock, and deny God instead of trusting Him?

14. billwald

billwald New Member

Off hand, I can't think of any decisions I have made in the last 10 years that would have been made differently if I didn't trust God except maybe tithing.

15. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

For the most part? Certainly we see alot more mocking and denying of God these days.

But polls in the US show most people still favor the use of "In God We Trust" on our currency, favor a national prayer day, and in general favor God remaining in the public square. I don't claim that makes us all Bible-Believing Christians, but at the very least it means that if these things were ever put to a vote most of us would favor them. Things like this seem to matter to people.

16. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

lol...that's sort of like saying "If I was a Martian none of my opinions or values would be different".

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That is a fair point, though I am not sure I agree. But even then isn't there the possibility that using God a some kind of good luck talisman may do more harm than good?

18. billwald

billwald New Member

>lol...that's sort of like saying "If I was a Martian none of my opinions or values would be different".

Say again?????

How do you all explain that most Germans were church going Lutherans when Hitler came to power? Anyone want to argue that Hitler would have been rejected if Germany was a baptist country?

19. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

There were as many German Catholics in the 1930's as there were Protestants btw.

Hitler talked the talk in his early years about restoring traditional values. It soon became clear he was no friend to Christians. Christian youth groups were suppressed, religious holidays were curtailed, members of the Hitler Youth were not allowed to participate in church youth groups. Christian leaders who might oppose Hitler, such as Martin Niemoller, were sent to work camps.

I don't get where you come up with the "Anyone want to argue that Hitler would have been rejected if Germany was a baptist country" red herring.

20. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes if God is used as a talisman it would do harm, which we see in places where Christianity is superimposed over pagan religions. I don't think that was ever the case in North America.