1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One pet peeve

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My current pet peeve is that they keep sending me to NTC. :Cry

And this 2LT, who's never deployed, who's faking mental health issues to dodge our upcoming trip to the Middle East. When we leave Irwin and get back to home station, I'm going to tell him to don't ever speak to me again until he regains some sense of integrity .

2. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lack of institutional focus: it’s about killing people and breaking stuff. There are elements of social engineering that have crept in and detracted from that single-minded objective.

Just to be clear: all I’ve got and what I’ve got, I got because of my Army service. My undergrad degree was almost entirely paid for with Army Tuition Assistance. My graduate degree is being paid for with the GI Bill. My retirement and disability payments alone put me ahead of the median household income where I live. My service qualified my daughter for a significant tuition discount at a very good university. Health care for my wife and I is very inexpensive.

And those are just some of the tangible benefits.

But I always had to be willing to go somewhere to do something and that something could be dangerous. It was a trade off: I get the lifestyle I wanted, they get a highly motivated, well trained Soldier.

The paradigm has shifted such that people think of military service as another form of social assistance, without the associated service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I had a researve Navy Lieutenant (Dispensary Doctor) threaten me when I gave him a ticket. "I see a lot of you guys in my office and I am sure I will see you too.!" I filled out a report and sent it to his CO.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and did the CO take any action.

(for translation purposes - that LT was an O-3?)

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He sent me a note back attached to the report thanking me for bringing that to his attention.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can tell you all the best Military Police duty I had and the one every Marine wanted as their gate duty was The Naval Officers Club in San Diego... Now let me tell you why... Every officer would come to the club with his date if he had one... I would say in my day most came with their wives... The lifers always did as far as I knew and they came to socialize and dance.

The lower grade officers as I recall lieutenants unmarried would bring dates... They would drive up in luxury fancy sports cars and the ladies they brought... Take it from this Marine they were Drop Dead Gorgeous... A lot of them were probably college girls because there are quite a few Universities in San Diego... These weren't any riff-raff, these ladies were high class, well that's what I thought at the time.

So as the night rolls on I had to keep my composure but inside I was drooling... Thinking why can't I get a woman like that?... I also thought as I looked at the Officers Club, I wonder what goes on in there?... No one ever told me... Those officers sure are lucky... That evening I was about to find out.

Earlier that evening the one that really made me drool was a Drop Dead Gorgeous Blonde driving a Red Corvette... This woman could cause a Marine to lose his rank... So I saluted the officer she was with and watch as they made their way to the officers club

Fast forward two hours... I see this same Corvette with the blonde only racing to the gate... When I motioned, she slammed on her brakes and skidded to a stop... I could tell she was as mad as a hornet and asked her why are you leaving so soon?

She said I bought this new dress, sat in the salon hour after after hour getting my hair done and my nails, bought beautiful jewelry, and a new purse, plus new shoes and put on my best perfume... And what does that do for me?... Nothing!!!... I tell you NOTHING!!!... Then she let me know what went on in the Officers Club, her experience anyway.

She said before we came here we went out to eat and to extend the evening we came to drink, socialize and dance... As soon as we got here we grabbed a drink and we had one dance then he disappeared... I could see all the older couples dance one dance after another... So I went to sit with the other ladies, whose dates had also disappeared... We waited and waited and waited talking to each other... Where did our dates go?... We finally found them gathered around this Old Officer... Telling war stories... I'd had enough and left and their is group behind me that are leaving too.

After listening to her story (and you brethren that have not been Marines don't tar and feather me)... I said well I'm available and Marines know how to treat a lady... I hear you all saying, Brother Glen that's a load of BULL!... Hey I'm being honest... Let me finish my story

She looked at me if she was ready to kill:eek:... And said I wouldn't date you or any Marine... In fact I'm through with the military and I'm never going to date a man in uniform again... I've never been so humiliated in all my life:Mad... And with that last statement revving up her vet, and pealing rubber from the gate, she hit the road and I never saw or heard from her again... Brother Glen:)

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We used to have them standing outside the main gate waiting to talk someone into sponsoring them into the E-Club on weekends. A different time period than you but I was stationed in Santa Ana at MCAS Eltoro. I enjoyed my time in California.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why didnt you just giver her your E-mail ?

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty... The year was 1968 and the only mail I had was me male... I told you she didn't want anything to with me and I am male... Brother Glen:D

10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I can back from Nam in 1966 we landed in El Toro and from there I probably went to Camp Pendleton to check in... Brother Glen:)

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 2012 I was in the area so I went and visited the old base. Here is the front gate that I stood may hours on and the sign.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love it !!!

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey its human nature - doesn't have to do with the military but being a human being.

as a teenager when I came out to California from Louisiana I started in the 11th grade at a brand new school just opening that year.

To my surprise a had a few girls chasing me. i wasn't that great looking, not an athlete a little shy and it kinda went to my swelled head. I'm not gay but just wasn't interested, i had a girlfriend in Louisiana and was devastated when i had to move out to CA. what really surprised me was one of these young ladies was beautiful.

my best friend popped my balloon and told me why - i was one of the VERY few students who had a job with $$ in my pocket (my uncle was a manager of a Woolworth), also, my best friend had a a drivers license and a car. :Roflmao

So when i did begin to date i had money and transportation and a double date situation.

in the military the ladles always prefer the higher paid brass to the grunts.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was at Camp Pentleton, myself back in 1996 -
    Wish I had brought my swimming suit - would have loved to take a dip in the Atlantic Ocean.

That was a great ideal for your 50th anniversary of your last guard post!

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UH Saaaaaaaalty?... You can't take a dip in the Atlantic Ocean in California... It's the Pacific!... And if you wanted to take a dip and didn't bring your swim trucks, why didn't you just go out and by some... You missed the Southern California beach hotties... Brother Glen:)

Mitch... I never had the desire to visit any posts, I grew up in San Diego and was there for 57 years... Later on I would drive by them many times as one navigates San Diego near the ocean, bay and airport, The Navy and The Marines make their presence known all over town... San Diego wouldn't be what it is without their presence and industries located here because of them... It is and will probably always be a Military City... Brother Glen:)

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually midnite chow was the best meal - FRESH EGGS anyway you wanted them cooked!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah... Coming of gate duty or any duty... I remember my favorite S**T on a Shingle, ( you know what they called it) sausage and the gravy on toast or biscuits... They still serve that in the chow hall, Captain?... See Hank, now you went and made me hungry... Brother Glen:)

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes SoS. yeah hunger pangs :)

19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I know is what its called the Marines and the Navy too... SoS... So is it called the same thing in other branches of the service?... Brother Glen:)

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes - Something on a Shingle. :)

• Funny Funny x 1