1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

one question in considering linux

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Aki, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    hello!

i am currently trying to consider linux to use in my pc. coming from windows, i am much into the use of gui and less of the command line (if my term is correct). reading reviews, i've made up my mind in using mandrake.

meanwhile, i have this question:

each distribution boasts of the thousands of softwares that come with them. however, many softwares have their installer for linux. suppose i've installed mandrake, and would want to install a software that i've downloaded that does not come with it. will i be able to do it? how about the uninstall?

thank you in advance. i have some linux softwares that i doubt are included in mandrake. i would certainly like to know if these softwares can be added - they have installers of their own for linux.

2. Dale

Dale New Member

I tried Mandrake but I never got it to work but that was an older version. I finally got SuSe to work and it worked pretty well but I found out, better learn the CLI (command line interface) The GUI was fine for all of the preinstalled programs but I coudln't even figure out how to update real player.

It did come with a lot installed though and I had fun playing around with it.

What all are you wanting to do?

I would recommend the new Mac Mini if you want a Unix system that is easy to use. It is VERY easy to use but of course you will have to shell out $499 US for one. You can still use you monitor though and any USB peripherals.
    BTW, what is your reason for trying Linux? I tried it just for fun but I never really used it for much productivity. I find the Mac is the only really productive machine for me althogh I occasionally get a little done in Windows. But I seem to be doing less and less of that even. My HP just sits there most of the time.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

A good place to start with Linux is by trying out Knoppix Linux, which boots and runs directly from CD, so you can give it a try without disturbing your existing Windows installation. Find it at - http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

4. Dale

Dale New Member

I have tried Knoppix as well...it is pretty cool if you just want to mess around with it, also no worries about viruses since it is just a bootable CD.

5. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    hi people!

i just completed installing mandrake linux. and it's sooo easy. doing it for the second time for mastery (and amusement), it installed for less than 20 minutes, with only one reboot! and that with "tons" of applications coming with it!

gui? no prob. it has graphical interface from intallation onwards.

user friendliness? that i still have to learn more. i have my favorite programs that do not come with its initial installation, and a double-click on the installer does not actually work the same as that in windows.

price? free!

i still have lots to learn with this stuff...

as for knoppix, i tried it, and it's cool, though i am really not that comfortable with an os on a removable, unwritable drive.