1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One reason why Dec. 25 is recognized as Jesus' birthday...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robycop3, Dec 22, 2020.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In earlier times, before calendars were common, people used shadow calendars, especially in areas with a lotta clear AMs pr PMs, They marked where the solstices' shadows appeared at sunrise and/or or set. It was usually Dec. 25 when they first noticed a shadow's slight shift to the south. They associated this as a harbinger of spring, and a gift from their god(s). Later, Christians, especially converted pagans, associated that day with Jesus' birth, as a bringer of Spring.

While not the ONLY factor in this association, it was a significant one.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like something of MAN-MADE ORIGIN which is NOT supported whatsoever in Scripture.

• Like Like x 1
  3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the fact that he was born in Late December or Early January because that is the wet season in Jerusalem and the only time that there would have been enough grass for multiple herds of sheep to graze on the same hill and the shepherds to gather together ... making it POSSIBLE for an Angel to appear to a GROUP of shepherds gathered on the hills outside of Bethlehem.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had a missionary come to our church - who had be ministering in that area. He said there is no way - that shepherds would be out with their flocks in Dec, due to the cold.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The average December temp in Jerusalem is 55 degrees to 41 degrees, F. And there's a lotta rain, averaging a little over 4" for the month. There's nothing to indicate those averages were different 2K years ago. As AtPollard said, that's the rainy season in the J area. It simply doesn't get below freezing there too often.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, theres more I could say about that missionary - but I dont want to get banned!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was recently asked on what Old Testament feast day was Jesus born. So I looked up to see what people were saying. I think I had heard this before but just did not pay much attention to it. I found that some people believe Jesus was born during the Feast of Tabernacles. Matthew Henry wrote this:
    Using this reasoning some have posited that Jesus was conceived (rather than born) in (our) December during the Jewish festival of lights (Hanukkah) and born during the Feast of Tabernacles. Anyone heard or believe this?

Thanks.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I HEARD it long ago & far away, but as for believing it, I haven't really looked into it that much, altho I continue to believe He was born in October.

11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Roman army worshipped the Persian goddess of light (mithra?) and the “undying sun”, both of which were “born” during the winter solstice.

During the reign of Constantine (about 320’s more or less and the first Christian emperor) the church attempted to “Christianize” these pagan beliefs by declaring the birth of Jesus was the same, trying to gain support among the legions.... or so I’ve been told.

The early church, as far as I can tell was more focused on the resurrection and the virgin birth, rather than putting a specific date on anything.

peace to you

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems that the early church fathers had no idea either, although some of them gave different guesses.

#12 rlvaughn, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021