1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oneness Theology versus Trinity

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Timotheos, May 8, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Just read it. I am not meddling but referring to what you said to DHK and responding to what you said to me about the straw man thing.

You are posting where all can see your remarks. It is quite common on the BB for others to respond to any posts, even if they address other people. There are no rules against this.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have aswered every one of your false assertions.
    Do you have a reason to keep on persisting in calling people names. If you can't answer in a Biblical manner I suggest you just keep quiet.
    DHK

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I'd be interested to know what the Oneness perspective would be on the NECESSITY of baptism in the NAME OF JESUS, and SPEAKING IN TONGUES.

Let me put it another way. A born again believer has been baptised in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and has never spoken in tongues. Would a Oneness Pentecostal deny his/her salvation?

A second question - regarding the idea of of "Oneness" - how would a a oneness Pentecostal describe Jesus? Was He simply a "mode" of God (Sabellius) or was He a pure human MANIFESTATION of a "one" God (Callistus)?

4. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oneness vary on the fist question. On the second - neither - Jesus is God, Jesus is the Father, etc. The three are 'modes' of Jesus. But in essence (forgive the pun) they are Sabellian, as is most of western Christendom.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Are you saying most of western Christendom is Sabellian? :confused:

6. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I've heard it said that most of western Christianity is Docetic - but Sabellian?

You should explain this.

8. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles - ask most Christians if they believe the Nicene Creed and the eternal generation of the Son ... many, even big evangelical leaders, will say no. That leads to a position that can simultaneously be sabellian and tritheistic, as Arminius rightly pointed out 4 centuries ago. If the Son is not Son by generation, than it is either assumed positional sonship (tritheism), or a separate manifestion of the so-called one divine essence (sabellianism). Calvin is very guilty in this regard. His view was in fact heretical.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

[ June 10, 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The eternal trinity has always been: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit. When Christ took upon himself human flesh, he voluntarily submitted himself to the Father in rank, and became the Son. He was not the Son from eternity past. He was not the begotten Son from eternity. That speaks of a created Christ. He is the eternal Word, the second person of the trinity.
    DHK

11. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    deleted for its name-calling anti-BB policy language rules.

[ June 03, 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

[ June 10, 2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

13. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ok tragic, but these kind of views are quite rife in evangelical circles.

14. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

From eternity, the Son (or Word) is begotten of the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father. In time, the Son (or Word) became Incarnate in Jesus Christ. In time, the Spirit was sent by the Son from the Father at Pentecost.

15. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen Thomas! That such orthodoxy is denied in Non-Conformist circles today shows just how apostate Protestantism has become.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Dean,
    If you have something useful to add to the conversation, especially in regards to what I have posted, then address it with Scripture; not with names that insinuate that one is not saved.
    DHK

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

[ June 10, 2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

18. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK, I have no intention of debating the fundamental, orthodox and catholic truths of the faith with one who does not receive or believe them. If I wanted to do that I would go to a cult discussion board.

19. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    tragic_pizza - how about the Church of Christ, the Plymouth Brethren, many (though not all) Calvinists, and the many Baptists and evangelicals (like John Macarthur) who deny the eternal generation of the Son, or worse still, deny even the eternal Sonship of Chrst?

20. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist