1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Online bible study

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by GLL, Mar 26, 2007.

1. GLL

GLL New Member

Does anyone have any comments or information for/against the bible study program at Koinonia Institute? Address is www.studycenter.com. Dr. Charles Missler who claims he is good freinds with Hal Lindsey runs it. Thanks and God bless.

#1 GLL, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is this a degree mill? It sure looks like it from the site...

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

How so?

A degree mill? How so? They don't even offer degrees! Therefore, they would hardly qualify as a degree mill. If you will read a little more carefully before forming an opinion, you will find that their courses are acceptable for credit at LBU. This is probably an acceptable arrangement similar to ITS and some accredited seminaries.

Although I do not know about their testing and other learning requirements, I have heard some of Missler's lectures. He is Biblical, although sometimes spectulative, and sound for the most part. He is a sharp cookie (graduate of Annapolis and former bigwig in aerospace industry) who brings some interesting perspectives at times and is a little too spectulative and senational for my taste at other times. Prophecy from a dispensational standpoint is his forte. I would not say the courses are overly rigorous (layman and Bible institute/college) and academic but on the other hand, I would say that most of the hype at Duke Divinity School is more about political correctness than intellectual rigor. So, there you are in a nutshell.

It is good and useful if you use it properly. One can, no doubt, learn a great deal about the Bible through these courses. It is a teaching ministry, not a degree-granting institution. Koinonia Institute has its rightful place as long as it does not claim to be something that it is not. It is not a degree mill because it does NOT offer degrees for little or no work.

#3 paidagogos, Mar 26, 2007
  4. GodsRealTruth

GodsRealTruth New Member

Having a time where my mind is drawing a blank. Remind me who is ITS?

Thanks

:wavey:

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

What do you want?

What do you want? If you're looking for a seminary education, then you may be in the wrong place. On the other hand, if you just want to know the Bible better or the equivalent of Bible institute/college teaching, then Koinonia Institute may fill the bill. Whereas I cannot give a blanket endorsement, I am fairly comfortable with Chuck Missler. He is an interesting teacher with some intriquing interpretations. He is pretty thorough in his homework too but he does have his hobby horses. The relative weakness is that the teaching is all by Missler but this is no worse than people who worship at the feet of John MacArthur or John Piper, I suppose. Missler is doing pretty much what MacArthur and Piper are doing but from a little different viewpoint and style.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Institute of Theological Studies

Institute of Theological Studies http://www.itscourses.org/

7. GLL

GLL New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking for a good online bible study that offers in depth verse by verse exegesis study or using a conductive study format. I prefer a structured program similar to a secular institution but not really necessary as long as the bible study is sound, thorough and comprehensive. The type of courses I look for biblical studies, evidences, apologetics, hebrew and greek(but only for study purposes) and theology. I am not real big on accreditation for this reason: I believe in the separation of Church and state. I don't want big brother telling me what they think I should study. Having said all that, my goals are to be a good witness for God, not necessarily from a pulpit, and also a researcher. I don't know how the rest of you feel about it but I have done some things in the past that may disqualify me as a creditable pastor. There are many other areas where I feel God would use me though. Koinonia Institute sounded pretty good because their statement of faith is sound, their courses looked great and all credits transfer to Louisiana Baptist University. And Its free. They do have a different kind of system setup where you earn medals for achieving different levels. They bill themselves as a think tank for serious students. I couldn't find any comments on them from current/former students so thought I'd ask here. God bless .

#7 GLL, Mar 26, 2007
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're right, and I retract what I stated about it being a degree mill. I just glanced at the site real quick.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

10. GLL

GLL New Member

Thanks TCGreek for your tip on biblicaltraining.org. Just checked it out and appears to be a good one. And FREE. ALRIGHT. Also can you elaborate a little on the Dr. Missler is no piper or McArthur because I can't find any complaints or comments about him anywhere except that which he has provided. Thanks.

#10 GLL, Mar 26, 2007
  11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Dr. Missler is not on the same academic or scholarly level as both Piper and MacArthur, despite our hiccups about their theological bent, with this evaluation we will agree.

Both Piper and MacArthur have proven pulpit and writing ministries that have impacted the church positively (at a scholarly level). I am fully aware of the uneasiness that both of them generate because of their Reformed position and their stance for what they consider bilical truth.

Again, Dr. Missler might be the right fit; the Lord might be leading you there. But I was just being factual.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Furthermore, consider the impact of the Scofield one man project, the Ryrie one man project, the JB Philips one man project, the Message one man project. If you are sympathetic with their theological bent, then you would not be too critical of them. It all depends on where you are and what you are looking for. Seek the Lord's guidance, woul be my advice.

13. GLL

GLL New Member

John MacArthur

Thanks TC Greek For that elaboration. I have to admit I never heard of MacArthur or Piper. In fact I thought you were refering to the pied piper and Douglas MacArthur. Forgive me for my naivete. But it just so happens that my sister and I were discussing the pre-trib rapture on the phone yesterday and she mentions Macarthur and that I should read some of his stuff so she emailed a link to biblebb.com. I thought this a coincidence and maybe God is working here. So I followed the link to a page that is an outline of some essays, speeches, interviews on different areas. I read three of them. One on his defense of the NIV and NKJV and The JOHN MACARTHUR BIBLE (Huh?). Another was taken from Charles Spurgeons "The Sword and the Trowel" on the down grade and his decision to quit the Baptist Union. The third piece I read was on the rapture. This is my take on all three. I''ll start with the third piece I read as it is the easiest to deal with. I think his explaination of the rapture was so weak (especially because it was from a man who is well versed and educated) I nearly fell out of my chair. I'm not saying what he says isn't true but he says so little about the actual rapture. I believe I could give a better explaination in half the time. My second comment is on his defense of the new versions of the Bible. He says a lot here and tries to back it up with a lot of history but again his argument is weak. First he defends deletions of the word Lord and Christ in the NT by saying yes we left it out here but we left it in over here. He goes on to list about 10 items in his defense of it. I want to believe as much as anybody that the new versions are better translations and easier to read. But in fact they are not better. Each new version that comes out exalts our Lord less and less and I have no doubt that in a few short years he will be kept out of it completely in the newer versions. I liken this movement to the Constitution of the USA. Each year brings more and more erosion to it and the Bill of rights till we will have none. I defend the KJV because someone has to to keep this kind of perversion in check. This is why I call myself a Baptist. The third piece about Spurgeons Down Grade hit me like an arrow through the head. Because he speaks out against all these perversions by as you call them the Reformed. I just thought it was ironic to see he included Spurgeon in his outline because it speaks against Macarthurs "reformed ideas". In conclusion I'd like to say that MacArthur probably is a man of God though I can not tell you where he stands for sure except he"s to liberal for me. I'm sure Spurgeon would probably describe him as a man with no creed. God Bless.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

GL, you are seriously mistaken to say that Spurgeon was attacking the likes of MacArthur and his Reformed position. Spurgeon was also Reformed or Calvinistic.

GL, I have no idea what you background is like in these matters, so I would not bore you with the discussion. But you got you facts wrong. Please read carefully and critically.

15. GLL

GLL New Member

MacArthur and Spurgeon

TCG, I didnt mean to imply that Spurgeon wasn't a Calvinist. I know this. Perhaps you misunderstood me because of my use of the word "reformed". My mistake. I meant "modernist". Nevertheless, Spurgeon most certainly was outspoken against this kind of new age thinking. Again I feel I must qualify my statements here. If you recall I said I never new who MacArthur was until you mentioned him. True I only read a couple of his essays or speeches. Probably not enough certainly to know the man and perhaps I should'nt judge him so harshly as I did just because I read a couple of his works. However his defense of the NIV and NKJV cut me right to the bone. I strongly disagree with his view not so much theogically as I do morally. Maybe I am making to big a deal out of it because even though he defends new modern versions he still uses a Scofield Bible. But this is the thing, the Bible is the very foundation of every believers training and his subject happens to be the very first thing I ever read by MacArthur and therefore I can hardly trust anything he says at all here on out. Especially about matters I don't know about. And Lord knows the man is quite capable of talking circles around me because he is so well versed. Also don't feel its a waste of time to educate me on these guys or anything else. I am very receptive and not afraid to say I am wrong nor am I afraid to change my mind. God Bless.

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

18. GLL

GLL New Member

I appreciate all the suggestions. I will check them all out.

As a footnote for the purpose of publishing my comment here about the comments I made earlier on John MacArthur for all to see here I would like to retract those statements and may God forgive me for that sin. I have taken the opportunity to read some more of his stuff and have found him to be a true man of God. Likeminded as a matter of fact. I did disagree with him about his defense of modern versions of the Bible but I have read another essay or speech by him defending the KJV. I can only conclude that he believes that the newer versions may indeed bring some prople to know Christ who might not otherwise read the KJV. And so in case John MacArthur himself should happen to peruse this site and read my previous comments I ask you to please forgive me. I also would like to apologize to TCG for my heresy. And I also would like to thank you for turning me on to him.

May God bless you all.

19. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

20. GLL

GLL New Member

Upon further review of John MacArthur I retract this retraction. :BangHead: