1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Online Photo Hosting

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by donnA, Nov 16, 2002.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Where do you host your online pictres? I ahve always used cartorga, with no problems, but here lately when I link with a picture from there, all I get is that red x. I think I need a new host, but I ahte to leave there, it's easy to use,and I like the layout. Does anyone know anything about them, maybe they've changed, and no longer allow linking to the pictures.
    Going to try this and don't think there will be a picture...

http://home.hpphoto.com/sessions/26069919976/13883844lg.jpg

[ November 16, 2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well, why did it work here and not any place else? I always post pictures at the craft board where my peddler shoppe is hosted and have no problems, now it won't do it. Can it be a problem there? But I also tried to add a picture to my about me page at ebay, and samething, red X. And there all you have to do is put in the url like here.

I'll delete the picture as soon as I get some responses.

3. Son of Consolation

Son of Consolation New Member

4. LindaB

LindaB New Member

when you link to images or pictures or animations, that is basically bandwidth theft. you cannot link to a picture or the code in the picture, you need to download the picture to your own computer.
    hence the red x
    msn has communities, you can set up on their, but you still can not link to an image
    Linda
    ChristianGraphicDesign.com

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

How can I share pictures on line if I don't store them somewhere. I have them stored now at a free image hosting. This one has always allowed sharing your image anywhere on the net while being hosted there.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

How can it be stealing if the host allows it?

7. Son of Consolation

Katie, Linda was not referring to a link where your pictures are stored. Yahoo, Webshots, and a host of others have such site to visit. That is perfectly OK. But when you placed the link in your opening post, you used the designation for the URL, which didn't work because it represented a Webpage and not a picture - so I removed it.

I believe Linda was referring to images or pictures being taken off the Websites (without permission) and used on a discussion board or on personal WebPages which would be considered a theft. She was in no way implying that you cannot show a link to your private collection of pictures, which you are storing on a free Website for the very purpose.

By the way, when are you going to link us to those pictures anyway?! [img]graemlins/wave.gif

[ November 20, 2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ok, the picture I tried to post to test what was going on is my picture, took it myself of an item on a craft auction(got a $25. bid), I don't take pictures from one site another unless it is my picture.
    So what did I do wrong then, I got the url to the picture just like I have always done, and it has always worked, until recently.

9. Son of Consolation

Katie asks: "What did I do wrong?" Well, as I already indicated, the URL you provided was not the page where you keep your picture but the home page of the Website. And for those who are not members, cannot see the picture, unless they are members (like you) and they log in. [​IMG]

So, if you want people to see your picture, you have to save the ULR where the picture is (provided it is a public viewing site) and then apply the [​IMG]. Otherwise the URL itself will do, because the rules of the Baptist Board is that you cannot post a larger picture then the BB logo (visible on the upper left hand corner of your window). Am I clear so far? [​IMG]

[ November 20, 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

The url I gave came from right clicking on my image, and then on properties, I've done this a hundred times, I also used the [​IMG], which I've also use many times. The image is about the same size an the BB logo, only flipped upright instead of lengthwise. Since I was concerned about the size I did say I would delete it when I got some responses. And when I posted the second post of mine, the picture was there. Why it isn't now I don't know.

11. Son of Consolation

Hummmmmm, Katie, you've got me there! But I still believe that you do not have a public viewing capability of the site and that is why the picture does not stay. In other words, the picture has to be by itself on a webpage when you transfer the URL from the address line - is that what you did? [​IMG]

[ November 20, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Did these people get a warning about taking images from other sites, or on one the size of the image. I notice they(the images) are still there.

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=001067

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=001066

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=001065

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=001061

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000337

13. Son of Consolation

Hey, Katie, you may have something here! Thanks for the detective work. You are right, those images were not in compliance with Posting Rule #12, which says,

I have removed them all, except Tater Tot's babies picture, because if you turn the picture 90 degrees, it is about the size of the logo (and besides who would have a heart to remove that cute picture?). At any rate, I have been removing large pictures all the time when I see them. Leaving only the ULR, so that people can (if they wished) click on it and see the picture. Thanks again, Katie! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, npetreley, who posted those pictures, did get a PM from me - informing him about the BB Posting Rules. :cool:

[ November 24, 2002, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thank you Barnabas.

15. Jesus Page Tools

Jesus Page Tools New Member

Here is what I do,I set up an account with a free server as so many do, and link pics from there to my own domain. This way it is not theft IE its your account. :)