1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Only calvinists are believers.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herald

Herald New Member

The essence of the Gospel is,

1 Corinthians 2:2 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

If this is preached then the Gospel is proclaimed. Of course, a full presentation of the Gospel explains sin and the need of forgiveness from its penalty, but 1 Cor. 2:2 is the heart of it. I can call my non-D.o.G. friend "brother" because we are both trusting in the same Jesus, the same God. We both consider each other to be in error on the issue of divine election vs. free will, and healthy debate is a worthwhile endeavor. Unless the Gospel is denied we cross a dangerous and presumptuous line accusing, or insinuating, the other side of worshiping a different God.

2. Herald

Herald New Member

And may I add that none of us possess perfect knowledge. We all have systemic error in our theology. There are some things that God has clearly revealed in His word, and some things that He hasn't. Even if we are completely convinced we rightly understand a doctrine, we should labor to cause no offense (2 Cor. 6:3). Let the offense be the Gospel we proclaim, not ourselves.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....Iconoclast should be banned and censored:thumbsup: He believes Adam died in the fall,and we all died in Him. He believes biblical salvation is all of God bringing dead sinners to life.

What nerve! He believes Jesus was sent by the Father to accomplish redemption to fulfill the covenant of redemption saving all the Father gave to Him.

He believes that those who call the biblical God a monster, unjust, unloving, not omniscient, and fail to believe the biblical testimony on these things...are in danger of missing the biblical salvation, because there are many described in Mt 7:21-24, who while religious oppose God's truth.

That Iconoclast is so arrogant he believes when Paul warned that many would profess to know God, but in works deny him here;
    16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Perhaps Iconoclast can be burned at the stake. You know...he keeps posting links to the confessions of faith, and the Puritans, and Pastors who actually know what they are talking about.

Iconoclast resists all the novelties and falsehoods presented by those persons who never really have studied the historic views well enough to avoid the clear error and heresies, like open theism, NPP,pelagianism and semi pelagianism. How intolerant and lacking in a diversity. He is just not politically correct.

His "modis opporendi" is to constantly constantly correct non cals as they go about "denying" the true God, being reprobates by calling the God of the bible a monster, being false worshipers by ignoring the regulative principle being blasphemers by calling God and His people false names, taking His Holy name in vain.... etc etc etc..
    :thumbs: He says he would welcome biblical correction...but being as none is ever offered...we are not sure if that is so. Why can't he just"play nice" and not question our progressive ideas:laugh:

#23 Iconoclast, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Why would you make such a statement?

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Ooops,,, that was a mistake

#25 Alive in Christ, Jun 24, 2012
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey Webdog,

Do you have a thread that you know of where I said webdog is a reprobate!
    No...I did not think so. On the other hand , there are about a half dozen where you openly bear false witness against me openly , probably in frustration over your railing about Augustine, and how all who understand Romans 5 correctly do not follow your fine posts.
    If my posts that warn as the New testament does that there is a reality of false brethren, false professions, many, multitudes who will be found outside of Christ...then use the ignore button.
    You do not like the content of my posts, that is your right. I offer scriptures to be evaluated or challenged by scripture.
    What you offer and a few others ....rarely offer any scripture , just snide remarks to no profit. You dismiss some of the best scholars around and just offer your innane remarks. read your own posts...they are 90% useless.
    Ocassionaly you post something that can be useful...I guess we can be thankful for that. Others have said the same thing to you...they say it more politely than I might. To some extent I resent the smugness that you and my fan club exclusively offer.
    I never call for you to be banned. I believe you have a right to post and have requested that you raise the level of your posts.
    You cannot, or will not....but the result is the same. You call me names that actually seem to represent what you do. Grow up or as you say to others....go put your big boy pants on:wavey:

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconoclast posted...

Not worthy of a response.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AIC.....you have nothing to respond too. You have nothing to offer,

It was you that called me a clown,correct?? That was helpful:laugh::laugh:

AIC.....maybe you should teach yourself ...some scripture.

#28 Iconoclast, Jun 24, 2012
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

True. But he says he will meet you (or me) face to face and behave exactly the same way. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

#29 Benjamin, Jun 24, 2012
  10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world??? Please explain where you are pulling your "70%" figure from.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for providing validation that my assumption of your purpose of the thread is correct.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Taught comparative religions and we researched US Baptists. Stats are available of sizes of each of the groups of Baptists.

I grew up IFB (old Northern Baptist Convention) and thought we were the "big pond". Found

50,000 Alliance of Baptists
    1,400,000 American Baptist Churches USA (old Northern Baptist Convention)
    140,000 Baptist General Conference (Swedish Baptists)
    200,000 Conservative Baptist Association (CBA)
    130,000 General Assoc of Regular Baptists (GARBC)
    200,000 Free Will Baptists
    17,000,000 Southern Baptist Convention
    700,000 Cooperative Baptist Fellowship (CBF)
    550,000 Various Landmark Baptist groups
    3,000,000 Various Independent Baptists (small groups, non-affiliated churches)
    23,370,000 White US Baptists

3,100,000 National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.
    8,500,000 National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
    400,000 National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
    250,000 National Primitive Baptist Association
    2,500.000 Progressive National Baptist Convention:
    15,750,000 African-American Baptists

This makes just over 70% of white Baptist members in the SBC. This is the stat widely used.

If you combine ALL Baptists the SBC then would be 35%

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why in the world would someone find it necessary to exclude all but "White Baptist" in one's calculations?

And it's "widely used" stat? —Whatever for?

Bizarre.

14. Herald

Herald New Member

Bob, never heard that stat before. What's that about?

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, most "sides" here have considered me apostate, so maybe I need a thread, too.

One thing I've noticed: Not many here take a moderate stance; it's mostly one extreme or another. Or maybe they're just the most vocal.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cause there are none by me....thats why. Plus I dont like blended churches....another reason.

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

What is meant by "blended churches"?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like I said in the op, let your own words condemn you.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

For those with reading comprehension the purpose of the op is quite clear and needed no further validation. Thank you for adding yourself to my list :wavey:

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Personally, I do not believe this. However, let me say at this point that the whole idea that "Questioning someone's salvation" is case for dismissal, or breaking the rules, is ludicrous. Nowhere in the text of the rules for this board, does it state that questioning anothers salvation is against the rules. I know some people (moderators) have interpreted the rules that way, but it does not say that anywhere.

Though not in the Baptist section, there are Catholics and even at times atheists, who have posted on this board. Must I confess them to be saved, contra to all biblical evidence? Am I to affirm their salvation and let them walk blithely into hell? I have heard "baptists" on this board affirm "faith + works" salvation...am I to turn a blind eye? Where on earth do you get that questioning someone's salvation is a personal attack? Questioning the salvation of some, is the most loving, wonderful thing that you can do for them.

This whole "silence dissenting opinion" bit, is getting old. Why are you bothered by his words, WD? Are you worried he might be right? Why not let him believe what he chooses to believe, and express that opinion to any who choose to listen to him...you know, the same courtesy everyone shows you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.