1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Only Two Contrasting Options available

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dr. Walter, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: When you start interpreting Scripture from the unsupported presupposition of OSAS, is it any wonder your conclusions reason in a circle to find the passage of Scripture in support of the presupposition you started from?? Go figure.

The truth of the matter is that they well may have started off right, and yet allowed themselves to become entangled with false notions once again.
    2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

Now there is a true Scriptural possibility.

HP: You need to stop and recognize the unfounded presupposition you cannot reason without, i.e., OSAS. The truth is that they could have been saved, yet became once again entangled,……just as I believe many have within the ranks of most every church, including, but not limited to, your local Baptist Church. Pray them all into the Kingdom when they die if you so desire, but God’s Word says differently if they are committing sin :Quote: Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.” Re 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

HP: Oh yes there is, and it will be found robbed in white raiment. 1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

DHK, should we believe now that you do believe that there might just possibly be something called "the church?"

#42 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The denial of OSAS is a sign of one that does not have a full grasp of the doctrine of salvation. Eternal security is not a presupposition. It is a factual doctrine taught in the Bible. It is something that is wise not to deny. There are no presuppositions here--only simple Bible doctrine.

Taking Scripture is never starting out right. Why do you do that!!
    What is the context of 2Pet.2:20? Go back to the beginning of the paragraph.

2 Peter 2:10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
    --They never did start off right. They were false teachers from the beginning--that is the ones Peter is speaking about. This passage in 2Peter has nothing to do with Romans. Perhaps chapter 3 applies more and more to you:

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
    --This seems to be your practice.
    Attacking Bible doctrine does you no good. Even if you believe in false doctrine, this is not going to earn you brownie points on this board.
    This is all imagination. It is not what the Bible says. It is not what chapter one says. It is not the description of the believers that Paul was writing to says. Why would Paul describe the believers one way in chapter one, and another way in chapter two. He was writing a letter. Between chapter one and chapter two, did the nature of the church change? It was a letter. How long do you think it took for him to write it?
    In our local church? There are no members that are not saved. It is a small church. Children do not have membership. The adults all have a clear testimony of salvation and also have been baptized (not that baptism has anything to do with salvation).
    Did you convert to Roman Catholicism? I don't believe in purgatory, or in praying anyone into the kingdom. We can only pray that one gets saved while they are on earth.
    Are you unable to reconcile Scripture with Scripture.
    One verse is directed to those that are already saved.
    The other verse describes the state of those that are already lost.
    The context of both Scriptures are very much different.
    But this is what you do. Again 2Pet.3:16 fits again.
    The verse that you quoted was written by Paul to Timothy in a pastoral epistle. It is written to Timothy, the pastor of the local church of Ephesus. It is applicable, in its historical context, only to the church of Ephesus. Having said that, it is applicable to all local churches that stand upon the Bible. Thus I have given you the literal interpretation, but the application is for every local church.
    Every local church is to be the pillar and ground of the church.
    They are the ground of the church, because the Bible is the foundation; the Bible is the truth.
    They are the pillar of the truth; the church is a pillar upholding the word of truth--proclaiming the truth to all in its community and even to all the world. The Bible knows nothing of a universal church (an unassembled assembly). "Church" means "assembly". And that is the only kind of church spoken of in the Bible--local assemblies.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, why would I believe in any unsciptural concept? And what would give you that idea?

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Obviously it is a theory that you are not capable of dealing with or you would. So the evidence I have given stands up.

6. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Quote:
    DW: Bob's point is not an "excellent" point but a perverted point. DHK set forth the evidences against Bob's point and those points were "excellent."

HP: That is certainly a debatable point depending on where one stands theologically, the theories one has bought into, and who are your spiritual fathers.

It is not a matter of theology it is a matter of correct Biblical exegesis. Bob basis his theology on eisgesis not exegesis of Scripture. For example he takes a statement from Romans 1:7 and then tries to characterize Romans 1:1-17 as dealing with progressive sanctification of the believer. It does not take too much to prove that is wrong as the whole context deals explicitly with the gospel ministry apart from acknolwedging who he is address the letter to and prays for in verses 7-13. JUST LOOK AT THE CONTEXT YOURSELF - it is obvious that he is wrong.

Quote:
    DW: The only thing that Bob had "debunked" is common sense rules of interpretation. Here are the contextual facts that cannot be overturned by Bob or by you.

HP: Pray tell us one sound rule of interpretation you have used to arrive at the theories you espouse????

The most important single rule of interpretation I follow and emphasize is interpreting every passage by its immediate context. Bob's abuse of Romans 1:7 ignores the immediate context which has to do with the gospel ministry not wiith progressive sanctification as Bob asserts. Just read Romans 1:1-6 and you can clearly see that is not the subject as Bob asserts. Just read Romans 1:14-17 and it is easy to see that progressive sanctification is not the subject of the immediate context but rather the gospel ministry.

Quote:
    DW: 1. The church members have already been addressed in redemptive terms in Romans 1:7-9 but those in Romans 2:1-5; 17-24 are not addressed in redemptive terms but in terms of condemnation and judgement.

HP: Again, says who?? DW?? You are going to have to offer some evidence other that you say it is so DW.

Paul says so and I quote: Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
    7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
    9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

Does Paul use any terms outside of redemptive terms in addressing those he is writing above??? Please point one such term out???

In contrast look at the terms of condemnation and judgement used for those in Romans 2:1-5:

1 ¶ Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
    2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
    3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
    4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
    5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Please find just ONE term that defines those described above as RIGHTEOUS? Just ONE

Quote:
    DW: These judgemental descriptures are addressed GENERICALLY to whoever may fit them - "O Man, WHOSOEVER THOU ART" rather than "O church member, whosever thou art.' You and Bob must change the language to force your interpetation upon it.

HP: Yes, and if they fit lost professors, thinking themselves to be saved but on a road to destruction, it addresses them. Paul clearly is addressing a problem within the church with his comments. Whatever happened to the old clishe’, “who was this book addressed to?” Oh I almost forgot. That is only good for some if it fits within the confines of their own devised theories

Find just one term, one word that describes those in Rom. 2:1-5 as SAVED people or CHURCH members? Just one?

Quote:
    DW: 2. Romans 2:6-8 impartially sets forth the criteria and consequences for justification under law (vv. 11-13) without making any final applications to any persons in the church at Rome or outside the church of Rome - period.

HP: You have no other basis for that remark other than DW says so. Well, I for one believe DW is in error in his unproven assumption just as BR has faithfully pointed out.

Verse 5 concludes by defining the final judgement as "righteous" that is Paul's words not mine. Verses 6-8 set forth the criteria for eternal lfie versus eternal damnation determined "according to his deeds" under the righteous judgement of God.

Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
    7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
    8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
    9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

It is stated in generic terms "to them" in both cases. Who are "them"? All those who simply fit the criteria. It is stated in ethnic terms "the Jew" and also "the Gentile." Who is "the Jew" and who is "the gentile"? All Jews and Gentiles that fit the criteria.

Quote:
    DW: 3. Romans 2:17-24 addresses the ORTHODOX JEW and the commonly well known mind set of LOST JEWS and the absolute proof is Romans 3:9 that says Paul had addressed such lost Jews as there is no other options prior to Romans 3:9 that Romans 3:9 can refer to or apply to but those in Romans 2:17-24 AND YOU CANNOT DISPROVE THIS - Period.

HP: As I said. You are long on theory, quick to pronounce it as infallible “period.” You are a master at begging the question DW

Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,....23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
    24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

What kind of Jew RESTEST IN THE LAW? Saved Jews rest in Christ not the Law. What kind of Jew BOASTS in the law? Saved Jews BOAST in grace and in Christ. Paul is a Jew and He does not REST in the Law nor does he BOAST in the law. Indeed, is not that exactly what Paul says the true doctrine of justification does not do in Rom. 3:27 - "Where is boasting then? It is EXCLUDED? By what law? The law of works? NAY..."

Quote:
    DW: 4. Romans 2:25-27 repeatedly use the word "if" to demonstrate Paul is speaking HYPOTHETICAL only. You don't use the word "if" when speaking about factual cases but only for hypothetical cases. This is the case "IF" they meet this criteria and that is the case "IF" they meet that criteria. To claim as you do, that these are actual cases simply ignores the langauge.

HP: What a preposterous conclusion. “If any man sin…..,.” Are you going to remain faithful to your narrow interpretation of the word “if” and tell us that such is only a hypothetical case? Such a lack of reason and logic as you are dosplaying is pathetically self serving.

For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
    26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
    27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

Your objection to be valid would have to use the word "since" in the place of "if" since you demand these are actual cases of fact. Go ahead and try to insert the word "since" where the word "if" is found above and see IF it makes sense? It creates a CONTRADICTION between the first and second phrase in verse 24 as the same person cannot at one and the same time keep and violate the law.

Paul is not setting forth actual cases but POTENTIAL alternatives. IF you do this, then the consequence is this BUT IF you do that the consequence is this.

Finally, I dare you to find where previous to Romans 3:9 where Gentiles are proven to be sinners outside of Romans 1:18-32; 2:1-5 or where Jews are proven to be sinners outside of Romans 2:17-29??? What does Paul say in Romans 3:9

What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

Come on, show me where Paul "BEFORE PROVED" that Jews and Gentiles are all UNDER SIN in Romans 1-3:8??? You cannot do it, if you regulate Romans 2:1-5 and Romans 2:17-29 to CHURCH MEMBERS! Take my challenge and SHOW ME where if not in those passages???????

#46 Dr. Walter, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010