1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open Brethren - can they be considered Baptistic?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Matt Black, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many of them:-

1. Practise believers' baptism by immersion
    2. Have pastors and deacons (although they may not call them that)
    3. Celebrate the Lord's Supper
    4. Have autonomous local congregations and effectively a largely congregational ecclesiology
    5. Believe in the inerrancy and inspiration of the Scriptures
    6. Believe and practise the priesthood of all believers (more so than some Baptist Churches I know)
    7. Reject state churches or any link between church and state (pace J N Darby)

Thoughts? NB my observations are UK-based - can't speak for US or anywhere else

Yours in Christ

Matt

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion:

If a local church subcribes to and practices the Baptist distinctives, yet does not use the word "Baptist" in their name then they could call themselves baptistic but not Baptist.

On the other hand some "Baptist" churches that I have been acquainted with should probably drop the name.

HankD

3. Irwin Hawkins

Irwin Hawkins New Member

"From my point of view" I think doctrine is more important that the name we put on our churches. Now I know that some of my hard line Baptist bro., and sisters are going to scream at me and say; "your not a Baptist!" I had that to happen to me several years back where I was the associate pastor in an Independent Baptist Church, and the adult mens Sunday school teacher by the pastor who was in the class meeting one Sunday morning. I am Baptist doctrinally, and Christian Spiritually.
    With the love Jesus gave me,
    irwin

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Aren't they rather legalistic?

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are several forms of the Brethren, some certainley are legalistic like the Plymouth Brethren where the women have to wear head coverings and unmarried ones cannot cut there hair and women must all wear skirts not pants.

Yet the open Brethren group is a great Chrisitian Church, there heritage is in the Anabaptist Church. Mennonite Brethren come from the same pathway.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I attended for 6 mos., as a new believer, a Brethren group (though they claimed they were not a denomination but that they were "associated" with Brethren). They had no pastors, only elders. Women wore head coverings and could not speak in the service (we could ask for hymns in the SS hour before the service - thanks for that!). They were hard-core pre-trib. Although they were godly and I am sure were solid believers, the atmosphere was oppressive -- I finally realized the HS did not seem to have the freedom to operate there as it was legalistic, and my sister (also a new believer at the time) and I left that place for the church we are in now. I am leaving out some other things that happened that helped us make a decision to leave, which I am very clear on as far as that being what God wanted us to do.

The Mennonite churches, at least in this area and in PA, run the spectrum of conservative to quite liberal.

7. rufus

rufus New Member

Perhaps we "ought" to call them "closet Baptists!"

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't believe in 'istic'..... Either you ARE something or you aren't.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I want to correct something in my previous post -- women were allowed to speak in the SS hour.

There were some very nice people in that group - though it was quite small (maybe 25 or so attended on average). However, I am very happy I left because the church I'm in now is a really great church -- good pastors, solid teaching, more Bible teaching, strong missions emphasis, etc.

10. Optamill

Optamill New Member

Matt Black,

The Open Brethren are "baptistic" in that they practice believer baptism by immersion. That is the sine qua non of being baptistic.

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Alright, then, Baptist . Are they or aren't they?

Yours in Christ

Matt