1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open letter to God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, May 12, 2007.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nick, this is brilliant. Don't be surprised that some folks don't get it.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not brilliant...it's ignorant, and, IMO, if anyone who thinks this is brilliant is also blind to the truth. As blammo pointed out already, it's not either God causes everything or God is stupid. Whoever believes that is ignorant.

#22 webdog, May 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2007
  3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well...

Here's my final thoughts on the matter -- how come people that begin "in the unity of the Spirit" (Eph 4:3), saved, don't come over time to "the unity of the knowledge and of the faith of the Son of God?"

Many of you have brought up the answer already -- that admittedly you are relying on "the knowledge and faith of Calvin." It is quite obvious that some are not using their own, God-given discernment of scripture but are relying on teachers of scripture.

Believe it or not, I can empathize with that. There was a long period of my own Christian life that I couldn't/wouldn't "feed myself." Yeah, I was getting "meat" and not "milk," but I really relied on pastors and teachers to be opening up all the truth to me (no denom spin). I had some Spiritual discernment of true and false but I never took up the book with any real ability (or so it seems now) to "dig out" the truth and compare scripture with scripture (a lot of the latter can only be done by constant reading and, for me, "majoring on" the NT so as to keep the principles real for today.).

I really believe that men have brought so many "technical" terms that the Bible cannot be, as it was supposed to be, understood by the common man. And THAT has caused many to grow away from the simplicity that is in Christ Jesus.

skypair

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Oh, you mean something like this in response to my farewall message with an honest request for God to bless you all (whether you want to believe it or not)?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by npetreley
    So the consensus here is that it is possible to resist God's will?

All I can say is WOW. God bless you all, and good-bye. I obviously don't belong here. Maybe it's time to consider some other denomination, too.

Why does the expression "hypocrites and white-washed tombs" come to mind?

5. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Irony and blasphemey was a pop song wasn't it or was that sarcasm and parody? :)

But you are not right Blammo. If God creates men that He knows are going to Hell and then says He wants all men to be saved He leaves Himself with a big credibility gap or, put precisly, those who say it are incredible. :)
    You're sounding a bit rattled man.

Dear Pastor Larry. The open letter means just what you said it means. :)
    How's that? I never waste my time on you Blammo. ISA 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

john.

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

The truth is that, whether or not God is the author of sin, there is no biblical or rational problem with him being the author of sin. For it to be a problem, it must make some point of Christianity false, or contradict some passage of Scripture. But if God is the author of sin, how does it make Christianity false? One must construct an argument showing this by citing established premises that necessarily lead to the conclusion that Christianity would be false if God is the author of sin. What is this argument? And what passage of Scripture does it contradict? You can cite any passage you want, but you have to show that it necessarily applies to the question and makes it impossible for God to be the author of sin. Where is this passage of Scripture?
    Vincent Cheung. www.rmiweb.org

john. :)

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

NP, my responses were in reply to what I considered childish behavior on your part. I was having fun at your expense. I admit it. I would like to apologize for that. I am not a white washed tomb and will refrain from responding to your insults with like behavior. I consider anyone who trusts in the redeeming blood of Christ to be a brother. I hope you will consider me a sister as well, even though we have our differences. Peace?

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm sorry you saw it that way. My blessings were genuine, as is my feeling that I don't belong here. I also question whether or not I should be a Baptist, since the majority of Baptist churches I've visited have departed so far from the 1689 Baptist Confession and many of the fundamentals of reformed theology. I don't know the full history of the Baptist church, so I don't know whether that's understandable or not. But if I don't fit, I don't fit.

Peace.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:thumbs:
    :1_grouphug:

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I challenge you to find one place where I have defended that. And I dare you to remain completely silent until you find it.

I am not the foremost expert on Calvinism by any long shot. I have proven that I know what both sides believe.

Where? Again, give us the place and remain silent on this board until you do.

11. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Okay... OOPS!!! :eek: