1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open letter to Senator Bill Nelson re: Oil in the Gulf

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by windcatcher, Jul 1, 2010.

1. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Just received an email from the Senator's office stating his dissatisfaction with the administrations oil spill and suggesting his solution to give this oil spill problem to the military.

I don't think this is the purpose of the military.
    My response:

Senator Nelson,
    What we need is some common sense and less restraint.
    Give the Gulf of Mexico States their rights to work together to find solutions, the right to choose and implement them, and the funds necessary to support clean up.

I dare say, they will carefully choose the advice of experts and scientist and people with specialities in geological, biological, environment, chemical and engineering if you folks in Washington would give them the liberty and financial support to do so and not hog tie them with corporate or political restrictions.

Let the military stay out of this one. You've got them spread thin as it is fighting nation building wars while their hearts are in protecting our homeland. They are exposed to enough poisons in the environment of their specialties w/o adding to their troubles with the deadly poisons coming to shore and rising in the air from this spill.

And set aside the Jones Act so that other countries with greater experience can share their knowledge, equipment and manpower.

I'm glad you don't agree with the present leadership..... which has been none while stopping the initiative of those who would do something. All of you partisan leaders... and I mean both parties.... should realize.... You really serve no one if you don't first take care of the people of your state or support the concerns of YOUR STATE GOVERNMENT.

Sincerely,

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Received this reply: What do you think?.........

Dear .....

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and my work to help Florida respond to this tragedy I have visited the counties impacted by the spill a number of times and continue to press BP, the Federal government, and the State of Florida to take all necessary steps to minimize the impact that this spill has on our shores, our natural resources, and the many industries that rely on our coasts and waters.

I believe both BP and the government have been slow to react to this catastrophe. The Coast Guard is doing its best, but it wasn’t equipped for a disaster of this magnitude. That’s why I’ve said repeatedly that we need the military for its decisive command and control structure--the ability to make decisions and implement them quickly. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell and others have echoed that thought, and on June 15, 2010, the President named Navy Secretary Ray Mabus to lead development of a long-term plan for Gulf restoration.

Since the spill began, back when we were told only 1,000 barrels of oil a day were seeping into the Gulf, I’ve been calling for more leadership from the White House and more accountability from BP.

I joined Senators Lautenberg and Menendez to introduce legislation to expand oil companies' liability in a spill from a cap of $75 million to $10 billion. Also in the spill's early days, I wrote the President and urged a moratorium on test wells and other offshore exploratory operations until a Federal investigation could determine what caused the spill and how to prevent another one. The President later banned all new deepwater wells for six months. Recently, I got the government to start moving 27 Navy skimmers to the Gulf—vessels that had been sitting idle in ports around the country.

You may know that I have opposed drilling off Florida for a long time now. Over the last four decades, I’ve fought to keep oil rigs away from Florida and other coastal States. I’ve argued that a big spill could not only harm Florida’s tourism-driven economy and unique environment, but also usurp the country’s last major military training and testing range in the eastern Gulf. Even if offshore drilling becomes safer, there just isn’t enough oil in the eastern Gulf to justify the enormous risks from a blowout, spill, or shipping accident.

All of us are concerned about the immediate and long-term impacts of the spill. For specific details about Unified Command’s efforts, whom to contact if you have suggestions or would like to help, and information on how to report an incident related to the spill and financial claim forms, please visit http://www.restorethegulf.gov/. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office again.

Sincerely,
    Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm

3. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if Senator Nelson knew about this:

Three days after the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico began on April 20, the Netherlands offered the U.S. government ships equipped to handle a major spill, one much larger than the BP spill that then appeared to be underway. “Our system can handle 400 cubic metres per hour,” Weird Koops, the chairman of Spill Response Group Holland, told Radio Netherlands Worldwide, giving each Dutch ship more cleanup capacity than all the ships that the U.S. was then employing in the Gulf to combat the spill.
    Read more: http://opinion.financialpost.com/201...#ixzz0tF2Xpy6R