1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open Theism Redefines the Atonement of Christ...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Oct 25, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Some on BB have asserted that Open Theists are honest seekers. Well, having looked into the files of open theists, that is really not the case.

2. Now, open theists have adopted the 16th-century Socinian heresy, which says that God could forgive without the ransom payment of Jesus Christ.

3. This is what open theists are now advocating; let's not be naive and commend open theists for being "honest seekers." The truth is, they are not. Gregory Boyd has a problem with Christ bearing the wrath of God on the cross to forgive sinners of their sins:

"Now, there's many problems with this view, but the one that concerns me right now is that this model depicts a God who never really forgives. Suppose you owe me $100 but can't pay it. If I won't let you off the hook until I get my $100 from someone or another, I never really forgive the debt. I got my payment. So too, if God won't forgive unless someone or another (his Son) pays off the debt, then God never really forgives. He gets his payment."

4. Open theist are forced to reinterpret 2 Cor 5:21 and Rom 3:24-26 to fit their new theological model.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Satan doe not like the cross does he?

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

P3 is another heresy - the Socinian heresy. This was a new heresy in the 16th and 17th centuries. It asserted that when we die our souls will only continue in existence if God performs an act of grace. He will only do this for good people, so bad people when they die simply go out of existence! Thus there is no Hell. So you see how the rule works. The rule is a criterion for determining what counts and what does not count as religious knowledge. This was the rule which Luther denied!

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/distance/montaigne/back1.html

Very different from your definition.

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Where did you come up with the idea that open theism means that God could have saved us without Christ's sacrifice on the cross?

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

"Now, there's many problems with this view, but the one that concerns me right now is that this model depicts a God who never really forgives. Suppose you owe me $100 but can't pay it. If I won't let you off the hook until I get my $100 from someone or another, I never really forgive the debt. I got my payment. So too, if God won't forgive unless someone or another (his Son) pays off the debt, then God never really forgives. He gets his payment."

According to this quote from Dr. Boyd, Did God receive an actual payment for our sins on the cross to appease His wrath and forgive sinners of their sins?