1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open Theism...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 22, 2003.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

is extreme "free-willism" and is sweeping parts of Europe. Anyone have any experiences related to it?

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have stated what I have been saying for months. "Free-Willism" when taken to its logical conclusion inevitably leads to "Open Theism." [​IMG]

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My own doctrinal views regarding free will and sovereignty are very similar to those views that are now called "open theism".

I certainly wouldn't characterize my understanding as "extreme free-willism" but rather as the biblical balance between the sovereignty of God championed by "Calvinists" and the reality of God-given consequential human choice that may affect and alter God's plans.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If by "Free-Willism" you mean the belief that God has given humankind the ability to make choices that have eternal consequences, then I agree with you. :D

5. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Case in Point: Clark Pinnock

6. Me2

Me2 New Member

Curiosity killed the cat....
    Clark Pinnock

thanks for the example hardsheller

[​IMG]
    Me2

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think some of you are missing the point. Open Theism says that God cannot know what is going to happen since everything is up to man's choice. Open Theism's God is not God at all for He is not omniscient.

From other posts in this forum you will see that I am NOT an extremist of the other side either.

Moderation is the answer. There is no confilst between God's sovereignty and man's free will. It is only our limited human perception.

8. Curly Fries

Curly Fries New Member

There was a lot about it in "Christianity Today" about a year or two ago.
    I personally believe that "Open Theism" is Arminianism taken to its logical consequences.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I personally believe that "Open Theism" is Arminianism taken to its logical consequences.
    </font>[/QUOTE]True, and Calvinism carried to its logical conclusion leads to fatalism. The Bible view is a balanced one - God knows all that will ever happen - man has a free will to exercise choices. These are not mutually exclusive facts.

10. Curly Fries

Curly Fries New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]True, and Calvinism carried to its logical conclusion leads to fatalism.</font>[/QUOTE]Whatever. As if you knew something about Calvinism :rolleyes:

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Time for me to leave this thread since we have degenerated to personal insults instead of debate. Sorry CF.