1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Open vs Closed primaries

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know what he actually said, or what they portrayed him as saying? The GOP threw him under the bus, when they could have defended him.

So you are in favor of murdering a child, if his dad was a bad guy? Cuz that's what it was about.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactaly my Point!!!

Elections and Primaries are two totally differnent things

But you do have a choice - join the local Republican party and make your changes.

then fusion voting is the answer

and the answer to that is that a majority of votes must be obtained not just a plurality ie - instant runnoff voting

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you the exact quotation from ABC news. He never denied that that was what he said. The GOP rank and file abandoned him. It was not my doing. It is rare that a State Treasurer jumps to the US Senate or any other higher office.

When I was young, I knew an Indiana Secretary of State who wanted to be Governor. In those days, you had to try to become Lt. Gov. first because the Governor only served one term by law. There were stepping stones. He tried to skip a stone and lost and retired. My point is that the lower statehouse offices are not exactly launching pads to higher office. Even Evan went from Sec. of State to Governor before winning a seat in the US Senate. The poor State Treasurer did a great job in the primary and was the overwhelming favorite in the general election but he stuck his foot in his mouth in spite of the example of what happened in Missouri and self-destructed.

Indiana is a two-party state, as everyone knows.

4. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

He beat Lugar in the primary.
    All the GOP had to do was not let the media define what he meant by that...all life is God's will. And as an Indiana Resident, and one who worked hard to unseat Lugar, I was extremely disappointed in the way that the party publicly distantanced themselves over a "controversial statement". This at a time, when we had an opportunity to walk the media, Dems back a few paces.

I was there at the polls, Holding a Murdock sign, having people tell me that the signals from the GOP were mixed, and they pulled for Joe instead. In NWI, there are 100,000 swing voters, union types, they will vote for a likeable Repub.
    Romneys morons were so worried about not looking Vanilla enough, that they had Murdock thrown under the bus.
    Romney wasnt gonna win anyway. I never thought he would.
    What is wrong with "conservatives", when they won't allow for their candidate to have his own beliefs?
    Do they really believe that they can field a non-offensive candidate? In this day and age?
    Cowards!
    They know nothing of how to win.
    Confidence wins

5. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be right. IDK. I don't know all that much about how the system works.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which system?

7. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Political parties in general

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest you contact the chaircman your count political party and get involved.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Exactly, Salty. Open primaries are open to too much mischief.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In Kentucky, where I live, most races are partisan.

A couple of exceptions: All judicial races are non-partisan. And in my home city of Paducah, they also are non-partisan. The top two mayor candidates picked int he primary meet in November. City Commission primary picks the top eight to vie for four slots in November.

On the other hand, the county races are partisan.

I've been an election worker, and I have to say that in my experience, there's little hanky-panky going on. In Kentucky it's pretty hard to game the system unless people from both parties are in on it. And that ain't likely to happen.

Why would a Republican want to cross over and vote in a Democratic primary race unless he's up to no good?

#30 Tom Butler, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  11. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happens to prevent a lot of cross-voting in primaries is that the GOP shows up for primaries and the Dems stay home. If now and then the Dems show up, it is because of some hot race of their own.