1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opening day

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Rubato 1, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, any team who had their first 4 games all at home and lost them all, has never gone on to win the W.S.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The horse has pretty much left the barn, but I'll throw out this about clutch hitting:

Many of the Reds media and some fans believe Javier Valentin should be an every day C because he's a "clutch hitter."

His numbers?

Lifetime .251/.308/.401 in ten seasons. The only glaring statistic is that with runners on 2nd and 3rd, he's a lifetime .429 hitter with 24 RBIs in 28 such appearances. But what has happened is that Javier has had some 9th inning RBIs that stick out in the memory of fans/media types. But he's a lifetime .208 hitter in the 9th inning.

My point? "Clutch" ability is selective and subjective. But y'all probably knew that :)

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Well, I think hitting with RISP is the definitive clutch statistic, so the Valentin supporters may have a point. Of course, those stats are only with runners on 2nd and 3rd - it would be nice to see his stats in all RISP situations. Batting average in the 9th inning isn't really a clutch stat. A guy's stats in a 7-1 game in the 9th inning are quite meaningless when it comes to clutch hitting. Give me a guy who can hit well with RISP in the 1st inning any day.

Again, I agree that the term "clutch hitter" is overused and used incorrectly at times, but that doesn't mean that we can't measure clutch hitting.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree that we can measuer clutch hitting to an extent. I just think we need to be a little more analytical. I don't think the analysis shows Valentin is as clutch as people think.

Valentin's numbers RISP?
    .231/.316/.373

Clutch?

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I did hear on ESPN that something like 9 teams have had a 7 game losing streak during the season and went on to win the WS.

I still say Detroit will be fine.

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Nope............

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed. Perception does wonders, doesn't it? :)

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It's looking bleaker every day. The worst team in baseball bar none. This team is headed for last place; wouldn't surprise me in the least. 100 losses is a distinct possibility. They will go down as the most underachieving team in organized sports history.

9. PastorSBC1303

Things def do not look good right now for the Tigers. But there is a lot of baseball left to play. They have a tremendous amount of talent and a great manager, there is still plenty of time for them to turn things around.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It's hard to believe the Tigers are this bad.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm ready to pull that title from them, as they are now tied for last place...the Indians look HORRIBLE :BangHead:

CC Sabathia... 0-3 with a 22.60 ERA! Are you kidding me? Only in Cleveland!

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Well, the Tigers took the title right back after last night's battle of the 5-10 teams! :laugh: It's kind of fitting that both games were drubbings of the other team. Personally, I think both teams are overrated, but I have more confidence that the Indians can come back because of their pitching. The Tigers are in for a long season. They'll win 75 games at the most; probably closer to 65.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our best pitcher right now is our fifth starter...and he was in AAA last year. Our Cy Young winner looks like he belongs in AA...Our closer has 3 blown saved...in 15 games, and is now on the DL...the big bats that struggled last year are struggling this year, and we don't have the 'magic' of Cabrera, he's looking like a true rookie this year.

It might be the White Sox and (gulp) Royals battling for the division :eek:

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think I'm jumping on the White Sox bandwagon. I don't think Floyd and Danks are going to continue to be unhittable for the whole seaon, but I don't think Vazquez, Contreras and Buerhle are going to kill them. I thought Josh Fields should have started at 3B, but Crede looks like he's back to '06 form. I've always liked Orlando Cabrera and Nick Swisher was a great pickup. Call me a frontrunner if you want, but the White Sox might be my team.

Of course, if the Cincinnati Reds were to fire Dusty Baker, I think I would go back to my childhood team, because the Reds have a bunch of good players. I just can't drink the Reds Kool-Aid when it's served up by Dusty Baker.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, regardless of who the skip is, when you can hit with RISP, it doesn't matter if you have me or Casey Stengel in the dugout. The Reds P staff consists of Harang, Cueto's K ability, and...well, that's it. Fogg will not be in the rotation in two weeks...mark it down. Arroyo is unable to win games. This team desperately needs QS. They aren't getting them. I don't know if Arroyo has had one since late last summer. And he's your #2? :BangHead:

Rumor is Baker was told Fogg was being signed. That's right - he had no say in the matter. So goes the rumor anyway.

16. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

SO the Blue jays have reportedly benched Frank Thomas.

According to reports its because of a slow start, but he is usually a slow starter.

Maybe they are looking to trade him. There are some contract issues with plate appearnces= more money for him.
    I know he is 41 but they don't have nothing to lose but money by playing him.

I've always been a fan of his so I am a little bias towards letting him play. :)

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, the Reds fired Krivsky, which seems premature and overdue at the same time. Premature because it's still a young season and overdue because I would have fired him as soon as he mentioned hiring Dusty Baker as manager.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Not sure what to think at this point. No question Jocketty was hired with the eye on the top spot, and I refuse to believe that he wasn't in on the decision to bring in Dusty. Krivsky has made some questionable moves, but I'm not sure what makes him a worse GM on Apr 23 than he was on Opening Day, unless Castellini is blaming him for the handling of Bruce, Fogg, Bailey, Hairston/Patterson, etc. At any rate, Castellini and Jocketty worked together in St. Louis, so anyone who didn't see this coming just didn't know the situation.

One thing I liked about Dusty. Last night he pulled Dunn off the on deck circle and did a mechanic correction in his swing. Did some swings in the dugout and Dunn soaked them up. Dunn then went up and hit one out of the yard. Narron would never have done that. Neither would Miley. Actually, probably no mgr since Doggie or Pete would've done that.

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

In regards to Patterson, didn't Krivsky get him because Dusty wanted him? And didn't they send Bruce back to the minors because that's what Dusty wanted? Hard to blame Krivsky for those decisions.

I have a great pic for you, Tom, but I can't upload it to post it. Once I get it figured out, I'll post it for you.

20. PastorSBC1303

The fun is just starting in Cincy! It does seem like a strange move this early in the season, but good luck with that.

I am thrilled with how the Cubs are playing right now. Won 6 in a row, 9 out of their last 10 and 14 out of their last 17. Fukudome and Reed Johnson have been great pickups and they are doing all of this with Soriano on the DL. Hopefully this is a sign of good things this year at Wrigley!