1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opinion wanted

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Greg Linscott, Aug 27, 2004.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ransom:

Ah, thou knowest the answer afore, I whit.

Odd that Webster would Americanise the spelling of certain words, yet keep the "th" ending for many "s" verbs; that certainly was archaic. You can read the founders and see that American English had already moved from Jacobean English by then, not to mention a half-century later.

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Odd that Webster would Americanise the spelling of certain words, yet keep the "th" ending for many "s" verbs; that certainly was archaic.

Not only that, my understanding is that it was due to a convention of orthography: even though those words were spelled -eth, they would have been pronounced -es when read aloud (which of course was the intended purpose of the KJV: "Appointed to be Read in Churches"). If so, those -eth endings are a throwback to a typographical convention that no longer exists.

3. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we find a reference for that? It would be interesting. (As is the connection of the Great Vowel Shift with printing and modern orthography; I've never heard a compleatly satisfactory explanation for the former, though I have my own theory.)

OTOH, Joseph Addison, in Spectator 135 (1711) remarked:

"This Reflection on the Words that end in ed, I have heard in Conversation from one of the greatest Genius's this Age has produced (Jonathan Swift). I think we may add to the foregoing Observation, the Change which has happened in our Language, by the Abbreviation of several Words that are terminated in eth, by substituting an s in the room of the last Syllable, as in drowns, walks, arrives, and innumerable other Words, which in the Pronunciation of our Forefathers were drowneth, walketh, arriveth. This has wonderfully multiplied a Letter which was before too frequent in the English Tongue, and added to that hissing in our Language, which is taken so much notice of by Foreigners; but at the same time humours our Taciturnity, and eases us of many superfluous Syllables."

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Can we find a reference for that?

I wish. If I could have documented it when I typed it, I would have. It was something I read in a book about the history of the Bible, and it happened to stick in my mind. I could probably, with a great deal of retracing my steps, locate it again, but the probability is slim. Take it for what it's worth, in the meantime.

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you hate it when you know something but don't know how you know it? If you know what I mean, you know?

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Yeah, but generally speaking at that point I just pull out the "common knowledge" card and lord my vast scholarship over the Philistines. [​IMG]

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granny GumboThe way I've always had it explained to me by my pastors is "throughly" means to go inside as well as the outside and "thoroughly" is outside only.

Then those pastors were defending the archaic English against today's English. They most likely had little knowledge of the issues raised by the KJVO myth and therefore blindly, and with circular reasoning, insisted the KJVO was always right, no matter what, and that even the ARCHAIC English was more correct than today's English.