1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opinions on online degrees

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by chipsgirl, Jan 17, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I was considering doing the online Master's program with Liberty University's seminary. Any opinions or advice?

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

In which program? LU is fully accredited and conservative. I think it is a good option.

Bill

3. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I want to become a youth minister so I guess the divinity program? The associate pastor of my church is getting his degree this way and suggested it too me.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

I think it's one of the better distance education options available for a religion degree. You might also investigate their M.A. in Religion.

Bill

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Do you happen to know what the difference is in the two degrees. I looked at the website but couldn't really differentiate. I went ahead and requested more info to be sent to me though! This is something I have been pondering for awhile and I kept trying to shrug it off thinking I need a "real" career using my college degree. There couldn't be any more real career than working in ministry though!!! I am ready to seriously explore this option now. God has placed the thought in my head for a reason.

6. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

The MAR is the first 45 hours of the 90 semester hour MDiv. All 45 hours will transfer into the MDiv program, so register for that one first. That way if you get slowed down or stalled by unforseen circumstances, you have that credential under your belt.

I am a DL student at LBTS, and think highly of their program.

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

chipsgirl

IMO Liberty is academically sound.

I think a residentially taught master's would be better preparation for post grad study. But if ministry is your goal, then, the Liberty distance masters may work well for that need particularly if you and your denominational affiliation share the Liberty theological distinctives.

Best of "luck" and congratulations on your perceived call,

Bill G.

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a student at Liberty. I will get my Masters of Arts in Religion this summer. When I started they required some on campus time, but they have done away with that for the seminary only. That is a good thing, I think. It is hard to get time off work, find a class, get everything lined up and go to Lynchburg for a week (or two).

The programs are high quality, and they are not easy. Most courses will require you to purchase video or dvd lectures. These lectures are by some of the best teachers at the school. You will buy text books and a outline. The tests are given by a proctor. Most of the classes have both objective and essay tests. Some online classes do not have tests, instead they have alot of papers. In fact all classes seem to have at least two papers.

I highly recommend Liberty University, and their distance learning program.

Martin.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Btw, I noticed you said youth ministry? Liberty does have a MAR/Youth Ministry program. I don't know much about it, but it is listed on their website:

https://www.liberty.edu/Media/1162/MAR%20Degree%202005.pdf

However I don't think their MAR/Youth Ministry is a option through the distance learning program. The catalog I entered under did not have all the options that they offer now. My MAR is much more general, though I guess you could say that I have a Biblical studies concentration.

11. cbailey

cbailey New Member

has anyone ever heard of southern baptist school for biblical studies? It is in Jacksonville, fla

what are your experiences and/or thoughts on the school?

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have only heard good things of Liberty. I have a Certificate in Pastoral Counseling from Liberty hanging on my wall. Proudly.

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Studying Online is quite o.k, yet being in a classroom can have advantages also, and you make heaps of new friends. [​IMG]